This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can't get Megamek to work. Please help.
Hi, I hate the fact that my first post here is about my inability to run Megamek, but whatever. So basically I've tried everything I can think of to get Megamek to work. I've tried versions 0.35.22 and 0.34.9. I've also tried downloading the Mekwars client pack which activated the server connect screen for Mekwars, but never connects to anything. I have installed the newest JRE twice (uninstalling each time) and even tried throwing J2SE 5 in there just for good measure. Nothing works. I click on the Megamek icon (tried the .bat, .exe, and even the .jar). It pulls the command prompt up (with the .exe) for a split second. says: starting megamek and then crashes. 
I've also recently been able to get my computer to tell me (with the .bat) that it was unable to access jarfile megamek.jar.
Not really sure what to do next. I'm running Windows Vista Home, if that makes a difference.
So anyway, help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
This is all the log file says:

Homepage:Starting MegaMek v0.35.22 ...
Compiled on Thu Mar 31 23:20:36 EDT 2011
Today is Thu Mar 31 23:22:30 EDT 2011
Java vendor Sun Microsystems Inc.
Java version 1.6.0_24
Platform Windows Vista 6.0 (x86)
Total memory available to MegaMek: 506,816 kB

Unknown GUIConfusedwing
That is strange. Swing comes packaged with java, so I am not sure what is driving that error. I am a Mac user so probably not the best one to troubleshoot with you.

Have you tried starting it from the command line using the ms-dos prompt?
Yes, I did.  Unfortunately, no dice on that tactic either. I really don't know what to do. I had megamek on this computer in 2008-2009, but now I can't get it off the ground.
Uninstall and reinstall Java?
If that doesn't work, try contacting Oracle, because that seems to be a Java issue not an MM issue.
I have vague memories of a similar problem and the solution I remember doing is going to sound silly, but:

try re-installing jre-6u21 (Java release 6.21) and then installing the latest release of Java.

I'd be surprised amazed if that actually fixed your problem, but I doubt it could make thinks worse Tongue

I had this problem (I think) because I use a utility program to remove older versions of Java and somehow something changed with Java.  

hey, silly question but, when you install java - can you run other java programs ok? (ie: Solaris Skunk Werks etc)

also, what happens if you open a command prompt window and type in "java -version" (click start > run > type in "cmd" and click ok, then type in "java -version"

if you don't get something like what follows, you may have a similar probem to what I had

Quote:java version "1.6.0_24"
Java™ SE Runtime Enviroment (build 1.6.0_24-b07)
Java Hotspot™ Client VM (build 19.1-b02, mixed mode, sharing)

hmmm ... googling a bit finds similar sounding problems in the minecraft forums

http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic....8&start=60

looking at that, you could try:

Uninstall Java. Entirely.

Run CCleaner. Clean your temp files and the registry.

Restart.

Download the latest JRE off of Java and install it.

Restart if prompted.

hopefully if you try any of this it doesn't makes things any worse  :-[
(04-05-2011, 12:15 AM)Grantwhy link Wrote: hey, silly question but, when you install java - can you run other java programs ok? (ie: Solaris Skunk Werks etc)

SSW uses swing as well, iirc. So if that doesn't work then you can be fairly certain you have some bad java.
The "Unknown GUIConfusedwing" message appears, when MegaMek can't find the UI it should use by looking at the MegaMek.properties file contained in MegaMek.jar.
How did you extract your download of MegaMek?
@beerockxs
I downloaded to my desktop, then extracted, with the "extract all files" button in the file window, to a folder also on my desktop.
Do you know if you are using a 64 bit version of Vista or of Java? I would bet that might have something to do with it. 32 bit and 64 bit rarely play nice with each other in my experience. I don't know if Vista is always 64 bit. I can't remember since I've never owned a Vista machine. However what specs is your computer as in CPU chip, specifically?

I would give another Java program a shot, too. That way you can be sure the problem is with MegaMek or it is not. SSW is one of the many tools for custom mech builds. And it starts the same way MegaMek does. As in you download, extract, and use the .jar file to open the program. It is a good test and is completely separate from MegaMek's class structures (to my knowledge at least, which isn't saying much). Let us know if it ran or not.

Hopefully we can get you on soon so you can start melting some poor fellow's armor.

Oh and I forgot to mention. Let us know what you tried so far so we don't recommend stuff you've already done over and over again.
My Toshiba Satellite is rocking a(an):
Processor AMD Turion 64 x2  1.80GhZ
RAM: 3GB
Chopped from my initial post:
-I've tried Megamek versions 0.35.22 and 0.34.9.
-I've also tried downloading the Mekwars client pack which activated the server connect screen for Mekwars, but never connects to anything. Don't even know if this was relevant or not.
-I have installed the newest JRE twice (uninstalling each time/clearing the java cache) and even tried throwing J2SE 5 in there just for good measure. Neither made it run.
-I click on the Megamek icon (tried the .bat, .exe, and even the .jar). It pulls the command prompt up (with the .exe) for a split second. says: starting megamek and then crashes. 
-I've also been able to get my computer to tell me (with the .bat) that it was unable to access jarfile megamek.jar.

I haven't had time to try the CCcleaner suggestion, so I will have to update on whether that killed my problem or not.
Let us know how trying Solaris Skunk Works works or not? I linked it in my post above. It is doesn't work then the problem is with Java for sure. If it does work then the problem is with MegaMek.
Also, I am surprised to see a 32 bit OS on a 64 bit CPU, but I don't know if that would cause anything. I am no expert on that and I don't think it should affect anything, but I really don't know.
First off, thanks everyone for the support. I'm still dead in the water but at least I'm not alone.
Anyway, so the skunk werks runs just fine. Downloaded it, extracted to the desktop, clicked the .jar file and away I went giggling about the prospect of an AC/20 on an ultralight mech.
Sadly, Megamek still does not function. That means I have an issue with Megamek, yes?
Try entering this from the command line:

java -jar MegaMek.jar -gui swing
Now comes the real problem. Why does MegaMek not work when SSW does? I really don't know. And you have already tried a fresh download of MegaMek, right? So strange. Do you think you could compile the source code and try that?

I am really running out of ideas if anyone else would like to step in. Sad

One more idea: If you have access to another computer running java, then you could also try taking your MegaMek folder on a jump drive over to the other computer and testing it there. If the other computer runs it just fine then we know it is limited to some strange interaction between your computer, MegaMek, and Java. If it doesn't run on the other computer then your MegaMek is probably corrupted some how. Also test SSW on the other computer to make sure the Java works.

Hopefully we can get your giggles into laughs as you use your creation to ambush units!  Big Grin

Edit: Taharqa posted something while I was writing this so try his suggestion first. ;D
@Taharqa

Just tried it. It says that "Unable to access jarfile Megamek.jar"
You probably need to be careful with the case on windows. MegaMek.jar not Megamek.jar. And make sure that you are running it in the main MegaMek directory of course.
Ok, so I retried it being super careful about case. And it did do something different. In the Cmd Prompt it told me "Redirecting output to megameklog.txt".  Here is the new megameklog.txt:
Starting MegaMek v0.34.9 ...
Compiled on Thu Apr 14 22:14:19 EDT 2011
Today is Thu Apr 14 23:39:18 EDT 2011
Java vendor Sun Microsystems Inc.
Java version 1.6.0_24
Platform Windows Vista 6.0 (x86)
Total memory available to MegaMek: 253,440 kB

Unknown GUI:AWT
It's the same error, basically. AWT is the old GUI, used in the stable releases.
But you can't run the stable version with a current Java. Download the Development version and try again Smile
Don't copy it over your current MM folder, delete the old one and put it in a new and clean directory.
Did what you said with the development version. It's still giving me the same song and dance about "unable to access jarfile MegaMek.jar".
What now?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  MekHQ launched Megamek games don't work .46/.47 cryptoknight 1 1,605 09-01-2019, 08:40 AM
Last Post: cryptoknight
  New,Can't get megamek/mekhq to work CrimsonGear 7 2,640 06-24-2018, 08:41 PM
Last Post: Hammer
  Can't get Megamek to work thechap909 7 3,117 05-02-2018, 01:01 AM
Last Post: NickAragua
  Can't get Megamek to work dogovich 1 1,575 12-21-2013, 01:55 PM
Last Post: Xenon54z