Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is there artillery in Megamek?
Hello,

Newbie here.  I was just wondering if Megamek handles artillery units such as the Long Tom artilelry unit; either on the board or off board?

Thanks

Artillery units are all in there, look under Advanced Units. I believe they should work both on and off map (though I've personally only used them on-map).
Correct me if I am wrong, but I was under the impression that until the Long Tom carrier and ammunition trailer (or vice versus) is programmed into MegaMek, the Long Tom vehicle will not work because it has no ammo. However, all the other artillery like the Thumper work just fine for on board. I've never tried off board because I figure if MegaMek can handle that many maps, why not just put them on board. Who knows, maybe a quick VTOL flight will decide to try and harass them.
Let me know if I am wrong about the Long Tom.  Tongue
You're correct, the Mobile Long Tom is broken. Though I believe I talked DarkISI into adding a custom variant (not the ridiculous one that had been in there before) to hold everyone over until trailers are properly coded into the game. I don't think that'll be available until the next version.

However, the artillery guns *are* in there so you can always create a custom unit with them as is.
Off-map works like a charm, too. Artillery rocks, unless you´re on the receiving end.

I haven´t tried the stock Long Tom; I built myself a custom variant that has ammo (took out the MGs and their ammo)).

@NadineZook:

For starting out, it helps to at first limit yourself to Mechs only, preferably to the Introductory Boxed Set models. Those have relatively limited option; once you´re comfortable with those you can expand into Non-Boxed Set TW and Clan TW, and from there to vehicles, battle armor, VTOL and infantry.

BTW, I didn´t know that "poo poo" was such a versatile term. Did someone introduce Omni technology into the English language while I wasn´t looking? ;D
(08-02-2011, 12:19 PM)Jayof9s link Wrote: You're correct, the Mobile Long Tom is broken. Though I believe I talked DarkISI into adding a custom variant (not the ridiculous one that had been in there before) to hold everyone over until trailers are properly coded into the game. I don't think that'll be available until the next version.

You believe correctly. I added the unofficial Mobile Long Tom LT-MOB-35 and it will be available in the next release.
There are other official artillery vehicles available, though. The Thor Artillery Vehicle and Thumper Artillery Vehicle come to mind (there are more, but I don't have all their names readily available Wink)
The "Self Propelled Sniper BT", a mobile Sniper gun for less than 300 BV and 900,000 C-Bills. Literally more bang for your buck.  8)
Maybe I missed it somewhere in here and if I did, my apologies but is there off-board artillery available in the game and if so, how do you implement it?  Thanks!  Wink
Yes. Pick any artillery unit, then double-click (or right-click and select "Configure") on it, choose the "Deployment" tab. There´s a checkbox there for off-map deployment, and you can select how far off the mad edge, and off which edge, it should be.
Thank yo very much.  I am trying to get the hang of using artillery in the game.  Is there a tutorial anywhere for it?  I am an unsure how to use spotting for artillery.  I click on it and then click on a target but nothing seem to be affecting the artillery.

I was able to place my automatic hit target areas but beyond shooting at those spots I can't seem to get any accuracy on any other targets.

Any help on shedding some light on the artillery aspect of the game would be greatly appreciated as I have always been a big user of artillery in any war game I play.
(10-18-2011, 12:02 AM)Echo5Hotel link Wrote: Thank yo very much.  I am trying to get the hang of using artillery in the game.  Is there a tutorial anywhere for it?  I am an unsure how to use spotting for artillery.  I click on it and then click on a target but nothing seem to be affecting the artillery.

I was able to place my automatic hit target areas but beyond shooting at those spots I can't seem to get any accuracy on any other targets.

Any help on shedding some light on the artillery aspect of the game would be greatly appreciated as I have always been a big user of artillery in any war game I play.

Well... the best bet would be to purchase the core rulebook that deals with the Artillery rules Wink
I believe its Strategic Operations in the new releases; I have older books still for the most part so I could be wrong on that.

I recommend purchasing: Total Warfare, TacOps (Tactical Operations) and StratOps (The aforementioned Strategic Operations), as these books will help you in many many aspects of game play.
Artillery rules can be found in Tactical Operations.
Thank you.  I have TO,TW and TM and the artillery rules are indeed in the Tactical Operations book.  I appreciate the help but I was asking more along the lines of how it is specifically implemented in the Megamek game and was hoping there might be some sort of tutorial or forum post with some examples.  It's cool though.  I will sit down with the TO book and get it all figured out this weekend perhaps and maybe write a tutorial for it.  Before I start down that path, are there any known issues with the artillery implementation in Megamek or does it all work properly and exactly according to the Tactical Operations book?  Thanks again for yall's help it is greatly appreciated.
(10-19-2011, 03:14 PM)Echo5Hotel link Wrote: Thank you.  I have TO,TW and TM and the artillery rules are indeed in the Tactical Operations book.  I appreciate the help but I was asking more along the lines of how it is specifically implemented in the Megamek game and was hoping there might be some sort of tutorial or forum post with some examples.  It's cool though.  I will sit down with the TO book and get it all figured out this weekend perhaps and maybe write a tutorial for it.  Before I start down that path, are there any known issues with the artillery implementation in Megamek or does it all work properly and exactly according to the Tactical Operations book?  Thanks again for yall's help it is greatly appreciated.

The artillery rules should be implemented exactly as they are in TacOps. In my experience they have been. If you find anything different from what is in TO I'd bring it up here to find out why/if it is a bug.

Also, just to be clear: the above assumes you are using the latest Dev Snapshot: 35.25
Quote:The artillery rules should be implemented exactly as they are in TacOps. In my experience they have been. If you find anything different from what is in TO I'd bring it up here to find out why/if it is a bug.

I'll take you at your word on that. Page 356 of Tactical Operations states:

Quote:Game Rules: Any conventional artillery weapon or the Arrow IV missile launcher may carry and fire Smoke rounds instead of their normal munitions. Artillery Smoke rounds are unguided munitions, regardless of the artillery weapon type used to deliver them. They are fired per the normal artillery rules (see p. 179). Rather than inflicting damage, artillery Smoke rounds fill the target hex and all adjacent hexes with heavy smoke (see p. 46) that rises 2 levels above the underlying terrain.
Artillery smoke dissipates in the End Phase of the third turn after the attack.

I have checked the errata and these rules have not been changed anywhere I can see.

However, when using artillery ammunition in any artillery weapon in the game (Long Tom, Thumper, Sniper and Arrow IV all,) the actual effect of smoke rounds is to fill the target hex, and only the target hex, with light smoke. This was with the latest development snapshot version of MegaMek, 35.25.

Or at least, that's what happened last night. When I tried to reproduce it just now to be doubly sure, no smoke whatsoever appeared, even though I got the "Hex XXXX flls with heavy smoke!" messages just like I'd gotten before. I set all rules to default (except for advanced munitions, of course) and with double blind on/off (using a helicopter in easy LOS with double blind on) to make sure I wasn't imagining things, or vexing it with a rules option I'd ticked, but nothing I can do can make that "one hex of light smoke" appear again.

I was going to classify it as a mere rules error, but now it seems like a proper bug. Perhaps a report to the tracker is in order.
Yes, that's a bug, and I just fixed it.
(11-21-2011, 04:08 PM)BeeRockxs link Wrote: Yes, that's a bug, and I just fixed it.

A bug fixed in under a day? Sir, I declare you a sorcerer of renown, and you've just made my day a lot, lot better. Thank you, thank you a whole lot.
(11-22-2011, 01:10 AM)Demetrious link Wrote: [quote author=BeeRockxs link=topic=130.msg1970#msg1970 date=1321906116]
Yes, that's a bug, and I just fixed it.

A bug fixed in under a day? Sir, I declare you a sorcerer of renown, and you've just made my day a lot, lot better. Thank you, thank you a whole lot.
[/quote]

You wont see the fix till the next release though Wink