Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Megamek is looking for artists
In the current development cycle, Megamek has added the ability to specify skins.  This necessitates the need to get some new artwork into the project, so we are looking for artists who are willing to contribute.  If you are interested, please send me a PM.

Mostly what we are looking for are borders and backgrounds.  Hex art is also welcome.  I'll attach an archive with examples of what the current UI art assets look like. Here's an example from within Megamek showing off what we've got already:

[Image: 2iQ5qbz.png]

Attached Files
.zip   ui_art.zip (Size: 101.17 KB / Downloads: 6)
Are the resolutions for the UI stuff fixed, or will any work if they maintain the aspect ratio?
I'm not sure how Arlith has the code written, but I think ideally we'd use vector graphics so they always scale properly... but that's just me. I know they aren't vectors right now.
Hey there.  I'm working on a re-skin for the UI in addition to several new tile sets:

[Image: PIRKWiwl.jpg]

I have two questions though.  Is it possible to limit the maximum amount a button can stretch in the XML?  The bottom buttons would look vastly better on a wide screen display if they would "cap out" at a certain size; the second question is for some reason in the tabs (which I couldn't find in the XML so replaced the stock ones - can a skin modify those?) are getting a "break" between the corner and tab, though the images seem to mesh up completely fine when I glue them together.  Not sure why that is.

I'll hopefully upload the actual skins/tiles in a few days.  There's a few types of terrain I've really wanted to see in the game, so they will likely be expansion tilesets rather than replacement.  [ Right now I'm working on VR Simulation, Metal (Dropship hulls, factories, etc), and Wartorn (A considerably run down and battered version of the classic tiles). ]
(12-16-2014, 10:33 PM)Victor Morson link Wrote: Are the resolutions for the UI stuff fixed, or will any work if they maintain the aspect ratio?

The short answer is... it's complicated.  The UI consists of many different elements, mainly borders and images. 

For borders, there needs to be at least 8 images, but there can be many many more.  There are 4 images for each corner, that are static.  The images get drawn in at the size of the image, so if you have a 12x12 image, your borders will be 12 pixels tall and 12 pixels wide*.  Then, each side can have any number of images defined, and those images can be tiled or static. 

* The width and height are actually defined by the largest image in the edge, which means you want all of your images to agree, but if they don't, you get weird grey areas.

For instance, the current board view border has 1 static image, then 1 tiled image, then 1 static image (the center portion), then 1 more tiled image, and finally 1 static image.  This is what allows use to have an interesting border that can scale to many resolutions.

Other UI components, like buttons, can have background images defined and these can be scaled or tiled.  The spaceD skin uses a scaled single image. 

All of this information is defined in an XML file.  You can select different XML files in the Client Settings Dialog.  This is something that technically any user could edit, although it contains a lot of stuff that may not be obvious and there isn't any real documentation (although I have no problem answering questions).
Awesome.  I definitely might have a few wrapping up the potential skin.  I can't quite figure out how I'm not aligning the tab images.

Thanks for the help and I'll hopefully get something more polished up shortly!

PS:  Are/can tabs be modified as apart of the skin?  I couldn't find an example of it in the XML so am currently just overwriting the defaults.
Working on the new tilesets.  Work in progress:
[Image: EWVHtlC.jpg]
Any plans for spaceship internal tile set for boarding actions? Smile
(12-28-2014, 11:54 PM)SirMegaV link Wrote: Any plans for spaceship internal tile set for boarding actions? Smile

Interesting Idea....
I agree with Hammer that it's an interesting idea, but I think Taharqa really needs to do his planned addition of the capability to run a multi-leveled game [space, atmo, and ground all at once, switching between the maps as appropriate] beforehand, and then another level could be added: boarding, and cycled through for each boarded vessel. I do think it's a great idea of course, and if the tileset art is made ahead of time, dedicated maps can be made and used Big Grin
Of course the boarding rules on TW scale are all abstracted and MM only does TW rules.

You can certainly figure something out with infantry for your games, however, infantry vs infantry fighting is kind of uninteresting at the TW scale (i.e., it is pretty easy for platoons to decimate each other in a single round of combat if they're both in the open. It also comes down to two whole rolls, a single to-hit roll and the cluster roll to determine how many hit after that) - to make non-abstracted boarding combat interesting it would really need to use AToW rules, which would require a pretty big expansion of what MM does.
(12-29-2014, 10:14 AM)Jayof9s link Wrote: Of course the boarding rules on TW scale are all abstracted and MM only does TW rules.

You can certainly figure something out with infantry for your games, however, infantry vs infantry fighting is kind of uninteresting at the TW scale (i.e., it is pretty easy for platoons to decimate each other in a single round of combat if they're both in the open. It also comes down to two whole rolls, a single to-hit roll and the cluster roll to determine how many hit after that) - to make non-abstracted boarding combat interesting it would really need to use AToW rules, which would require a pretty big expansion of what MM does.

Well, I was thinking more along the lines of BA boarding actions... but yeah...
(12-29-2014, 12:33 AM)ralgith link Wrote: I agree with Hammer that it's an interesting idea, but I think Taharqa really needs to do his planned addition of the capability to run a multi-leveled game [space, atmo, and ground all at once, switching between the maps as appropriate] beforehand, and then another level could be added: boarding, and cycled through for each boarded vessel. I do think it's a great idea of course, and if the tileset art is made ahead of time, dedicated maps can be made and used Big Grin

Wouldn't a multi-leveled game required the coding for princess too? Cos the aero are not working to well at this moment (land & atmosphere) and warship is not working at all. This will be a very huge project.
(12-29-2014, 10:08 PM)SirMegaV link Wrote: Wouldn't a multi-leveled game required the coding for princess too? Cos the aero are not working to well at this moment (land & atmosphere) and warship is not working at all. This will be a very huge project.

No. Bot support is never a required thing for any feature. If it was, new features would be so rare as to be insane. Besides, the way strategic games like that are played is that each of the "levels" has it's own section, you can't freely move between them for init sinks for one. For another, space combat turns are longer {not sure on atmo turns} than ground turns anyway.
(12-29-2014, 10:16 PM)ralgith link Wrote: No. Bot support is never a required thing for any feature. If it was, new features would be so rare as to be insane. Besides, the way strategic games like that are played is that each of the "levels" has it's own section, you can't freely move between them for init sinks for one. For another, space combat turns are longer {not sure on atmo turns} than ground turns anyway.

I tot it would be something like space 1 turn, then auto switch to atmo 2 turns, then auto switch to ground 6 turns or something like that. 1 ground turn = 10 sec, 1 space turn = 1, meaning space 1 = 6 ground. Space combat rarely last more than 5 turns if you have a cruiser there, so space 5 = 30 ground. 30 turns for ground is crazy.... most ground combat is finished by turn 10 - 15 for company sized games. It will be very hard to balance the game.. I wonder how the tabletop version handle this...

Sad to hear that Princess might not make it, I will have to play against myself... again... Smile
(12-29-2014, 10:35 PM)SirMegaV link Wrote: [quote author=ralgith link=topic=1820.msg12324#msg12324 date=1419905761]
No. Bot support is never a required thing for any feature. If it was, new features would be so rare as to be insane. Besides, the way strategic games like that are played is that each of the "levels" has it's own section, you can't freely move between them for init sinks for one. For another, space combat turns are longer {not sure on atmo turns} than ground turns anyway.

I tot it would be something like space 1 turn, then auto switch to atmo 2 turns, then auto switch to ground 6 turns or something like that. 1 ground turn = 10 sec, 1 space turn = 1, meaning space 1 = 6 ground. Space combat rarely last more than 5 turns if you have a cruiser there, so space 5 = 30 ground. 30 turns for ground is crazy.... most ground combat is finished by turn 10 - 15 for company sized games. It will be very hard to balance the game.. I wonder how the tabletop version handle this...

Sad to hear that Princess might not make it, I will have to play against myself... again... Smile
[/quote]

Yeah, well, Taharqa told me about the desire to make this capability a very long time ago, and hasn't yet. So don't hold your breath anyway Wink
(12-29-2014, 10:35 PM)SirMegaV link Wrote: Sad to hear that Princess might not make it, I will have to play against myself... again... Smile

It's not like those changes would mean you can't use Princess at all. You'll still be able to do what you currently can i.e. ground combat. It simply won't be able to take advantage of high altitude and space (at least until someone gets ambitious enough to create a space bot. Another feature I wouldn't hold your breath for.)
Another "hold your breath"... I'm running out of air... lol

Anyway, take your time. Fixing current bugs is already a huge undertaking. You guys are doing great.
Going to bump this, as it's still relevant.
*bump* for myself