Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for Volunteers to help with a MegaMek Project
Rest and recover.  This project can wait.
Dead Eye Mick? Tongue
One eyed Jazz reporting... :o

Unless Hammer has an issue... let us team up and bang out every Model and Variant from TRO3025 into the Later TROs. I'll take Assaults for tomorrow. Unless you have an objection.

My thought being... let us do TRO3025 and the variants... and let Hammer decide how to best integrate the data. Dropbox. GoogleDocs, Forms, whatever. This will give Hammer a best handle on the incoming stream. While focusing us on a narrow dataset.

Respectfully,
One eyed scJazz checking in.
(12-18-2014, 09:34 PM)ralgith link Wrote: Dead Eye Mick? Tongue

You mean this guy?
http://breakingbad.wikia.com/wiki/Mike_Ehrmantraut

No... my face more FUBAR than that dude.

Try catching the door in your bathroom with your face while having glasses on Smile  :'( :o
(12-18-2014, 09:34 PM)scJazz link Wrote: Unless Hammer has an issue... let us team up and bang out every Model and Variant from TRO3025 into the Later TROs. I'll take Assaults for tomorrow. Unless you have an objection.

My thought being... let us do TRO3025 and the variants... and let Hammer decide how to best integrate the data. Dropbox. GoogleDocs, Forms, whatever. This will give Hammer a best handle on the incoming stream. While focusing us on a narrow dataset.

It actually works pretty well for me to take the files that you email me and drop them.  But the data into the google sheet is super important as well.  One thing I just thought of is if you have a look into the mechs folder you'll see there isn't actually a 3025r TRO, since a lot of those units got pushed into 3039u.  But I'll cool with what ever works best for you guys.

I've got to finish the CSO Pack and fix some data issue but I'll be jumping in when those are done to help write some as well.
(12-18-2014, 09:55 PM)Hammer link Wrote: [quote author=scJazz link=topic=1852.msg12174#msg12174 date=1418952893]
Unless Hammer has an issue... let us team up and bang out every Model and Variant from TRO3025 into the Later TROs. I'll take Assaults for tomorrow. Unless you have an objection.

It actually works pretty well for me to take the files that you email me and drop them.  But the data into the google sheet is super important as well.  One thing I just thought of is if you have a look into the mechs folder you'll see there isn't actually a 3025r TRO, since a lot of those units got pushed into 3039u.  But I'll cool with what ever works best for you guys.

I've got to finish the CSO Pack and fix some data issue but I'll be jumping in when those are done to help write some as well.
[/quote]

Is the data in the GoogleSheet meant for HTML linking?

Whatever the case the more I think about it... with my ONE EYE for now... we could... run 3025, push data from all Variants in later TROs. Then pickup the next TRO. Or run some seriously strange by Alpha order.

Hammer... plz make us finish one TRO with Variant data first. Everything else ends up in some fustercluck.

Again... I'm going to run TRO3025 Assaults tommorow. When I'm not one eyed Mick Smile
(12-18-2014, 10:08 PM)scJazz link Wrote: [quote author=Hammer link=topic=1852.msg12176#msg12176 date=1418954143]
[quote author=scJazz link=topic=1852.msg12174#msg12174 date=1418952893]

[/quote]

Whatever the case the more I think about it... with my ONE EYE for now... we could... run 3025, push data from all Variants in later TROs. Then pickup the next TRO. Or run some seriously strange by Alpha order.

Hammer... plz make us finish one TRO with Variant data first. Everything else ends up in some fustercluck.

Again... I'm going to run TRO3025 Assaults tommorow. When I'm not one eyed Mick Smile
[/quote]

The spread sheet stuff is for a project that MHQ will use next spring, can't say much more than that, so no the HTML linking.

I'm cool with whatever you guys want to grab and in what ever order prevents duplication.  Monbvol whats to start with lights and you start with Assaults and meet at the 50 tonners I'm good with that.
(12-18-2014, 10:17 PM)Hammer link Wrote: [quote author=scJazz link=topic=1852.msg12177#msg12177 date=1418954891]
[quote author=Hammer link=topic=1852.msg12176#msg12176 date=1418954143]
[quote author=scJazz link=topic=1852.msg12174#msg12174 date=1418952893]

[/quote]

[/quote]

The spread sheet stuff is for a project that MHQ will use next spring, can't say much more than that, so no the HTML linking.

I'm cool with whatever you guys want to grab and in what ever order prevents duplication.  Monbvol whats to start with lights and you start with Assaults and meet at the 50 tonners I'm good with that.
[/quote]

I was involved with an aborted attempt at new RATS and this is exactly what we found out. You keep the order... everyone grabs some section of that TRO... we do this! As long as I can see out of my Left Eye tomorrow... yarrrrr!
What the hell.  If we get mismatched fluff or miss variants we can deal with it later.

As far as claiming units/making progress reports I've only been specifying TRO3025® for what I've been doing because that's the TRO I have to work from for mechs and thus the units I started with.  Since I also have TRO3026 I could standardize my terminology to the CGL publishing catalog and just start talking in terms of TRO3039.  Just have to remember to cover the Wolfhound and the Unseens from sarna if I don't burn out before then.

I rather suspect that having to write about all these Star League mechs is going to drive me even more insane from trying to find ways to talk about the decline of the design due to the Succession Wars in different and entertaining ways.
(12-19-2014, 02:12 AM)monbvol link Wrote: I rather suspect that having to write about all these Star League mechs is going to drive me even more insane from trying to find ways to talk about the decline of the design due to the Succession Wars in different and entertaining ways.
We have around 5500 canon units so don't be afraid to duplicate if needed.  Its gonna happen.
It does help that my approach is to slap the same fluff into all the variants of a mech.  It'll cut that down a surprising amount.
(12-19-2014, 11:09 AM)monbvol link Wrote: It does help that my approach is to slap the same fluff into all the variants of a mech.  It'll cut that down a surprising amount.
I would be nice to have unique information for each units but hey its taken CGL with a team of writers a lot of years to make unique comments for all the variants. Down the road I'm sure people will add additional information or tweak the first stuff we do.
I do see this project requiring a minimum of three passes using my approach.  First is to establish the common stuff between each variant.  Second to add variant specific details.  Third editing/fact checking.

I think this may be the best way to approach it so that if someone does jump in later or otherwise take over for someone else there will be a more consistent base of fluff to work from or if the project stalls due to not having enough writers to tackle all these units there will again at least be a consistent fluff base that can work well enough for each variant for what does get at least a first pass.
(12-19-2014, 02:12 AM)monbvol link Wrote: What the hell.  If we get mismatched fluff or miss variants we can deal with it later.

As far as claiming units/making progress reports I've only been specifying TRO3025® for what I've been doing because that's the TRO I have to work from for mechs and thus the units I started with.  Since I also have TRO3026 I could standardize my terminology to the CGL publishing catalog and just start talking in terms of TRO3039.  Just have to remember to cover the Wolfhound and the Unseens from sarna if I don't burn out before then.

I rather suspect that having to write about all these Star League mechs is going to drive me even more insane from trying to find ways to talk about the decline of the design due to the Succession Wars in different and entertaining ways.

There is no two ways about it... 5500 units... things will happen. I can't see clearly out of my left eye right now so don't expect anything useful today. Although I am looking at TRO3025 Dragon right now. Sort of... it is kind of blurry Smile
Well given the major holiday coming up and how easily I've been distracted lately I rather expect to not even finish the Lights from TRO3039 before the New Year.  Heck I'll be surprised if I get past the Javelin this upcoming week and that's the next one I have to work on going in the order of my TRO resources.
I'm getting totally stuck just looking at the scale of the project. How do I describe a Dragon in ways that fit across 30 years worth of updates?!?
The best way I've been doing them is shorten and summarize what the specific TRO page has.  To be honest this is how I'm doing them:

1)Cut and paste from the TRO to a word documents.
2)Start editing and rewriting based on what is cut and pasted.
3)Keep going till what I've written about that model doesn't match the TRO

Next unit.
(01-07-2015, 03:35 PM)Hammer link Wrote: The best way I've been doing them is shorten and summarize what the specific TRO page has.  To be honest this is how I'm doing them:

1)Cut and paste from the TRO to a word documents.
2)Start editing and rewriting based on what is cut and pasted.
3)Keep going till what I've written about that model doesn't match the TRO

Next unit.

If you find that acceptable then OK! The scale of the project still terrifies me. But if that approach is reasonable... great.
That is why I'm trying to take a multiple pass approach.  Write the basic frame work that works for any variant across the unit's lifetime then if I don't burn out and have enough time then I'll come back and do the variant specific stuff.  I suspect I may not succeed as much as I'd like but as I said before it seems the best way to do it.

I should be able to get back to my writing after the weekend.
I have removed my post.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Inner Sphere in Flames - Project Idea Zellbringen 5 2,064 05-27-2013, 05:38 PM
Last Post: mchapman1970
  Thinking of using this game for my project Spiderift 14 3,401 11-03-2011, 04:47 PM
Last Post: Spiderift