Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Air Mobile Artillery
Using the infantry artillery units, is there a way to make them air mobile using a VTOL?  I didn't see one with the carrying capacity to do so, but didn't know if there was something else I was missing.
I am no expert on MegaMek but I have used Battle Armor and Infantry with VTOLS. I would suggest the Cobra Transport you will have to uncheck the canon units for the Cobra Transport model to show up. It can if I recall correctly carry about 10 tons of troops. I usually attach two BA units to one Cobra VTOL. But be careful when approaching enemies they have tendency to get shot down easily. But than again look at all the helicopters the United States lost during Vietnam using Air Asslt tactics.
I hope that helps.

Thanks

robbybarbera
I believe the only restriction is tonnage, so its pretty much a matter of finding one big enough.
Yeah the tonnage is the thing. At least none of the units in MM have 44 or 49 tons of troop space.  Might need a custom unit to do that.
Combat VTOLs only go to 30 tons, so thats not going to happen. The only thing that I can think might work would be a support WiGe like the Koi in TRO:VA, but I am not even sure that capability is coded into MM yet.
If you could find a readout for it, I'd actually suggest using a King Karnov. Think Karnov-UR, but bigger and looking like a C-130.
(07-13-2011, 10:21 AM)Taharqa link Wrote: Combat VTOLs only go to 30 tons, so thats not going to happen. The only thing that I can think might work would be a support WiGe like the Koi in TRO:VA, but I am not even sure that capability is coded into MM yet.

Wasn´t there a rule that vehicles could carry their own weight´s worth of cargo as an external load, in addition to any internal cargo, and move around at half speed or something? You can squeeze at least 15 tons of cargo into a VTOL if you compromise a little, which with the addition of 30 tons external load gives you 45+ tons of cargo capacity. It isn´t going to be fast, but it´s going to be faster than walking.
(07-13-2011, 10:21 AM)Taharqa link Wrote: Combat VTOLs only go to 30 tons, so thats not going to happen.

Super Heavy Combat VTOLs can be quite a bit heavier Wink
I noticed some of the VTOLs have a lift hoist as equipment, but I don't know if that is in the rules for using it to transport something designated as "infantry".
(07-13-2011, 07:59 PM)dmzline link Wrote: I noticed some of the VTOLs have a lift hoist as equipment, but I don't know if that is in the rules for using it to transport something designated as "infantry".

I seem to recall a similar question on the CBT boards asking for clarification about rules for if say a Heavy APC (or multiple) with a hitch could load the infantry and drag the artillery but per the official response the answer was 'not in legal game play (you already assume the artillery has some sort of tank/jeep pulling it due to the platoon's movement rating, the infantry aren't pulling it) but whatever works for your units between missions is up to you on that front" I assume the answer would be similar for VTOL. So officially 'no' but you can either have home rules to do that or assume it for out of combat movement in campaigns but in combat 'no'. And on that front I'm assuming it wasn't programmed into MM.
(07-13-2011, 08:15 PM)Jayof9s link Wrote: I seem to recall a similar question on the CBT boards asking for clarification about rules for if say a Heavy APC (or multiple) with a hitch could load the infantry and drag the artillery but per the official response the answer was 'not in legal game play (you already assume the artillery has some sort of tank/jeep pulling it due to the platoon's movement rating, the infantry aren't pulling it) but whatever works for your units between missions is up to you on that front" I assume the answer would be similar for VTOL. So officially 'no' but you can either have home rules to do that or assume it for out of combat movement in campaigns but in combat 'no'. And on that front I'm assuming it wasn't programmed into MM.

That seems pretty fair, considering how non-mechanized field artillery works.  Field guns are literally just guns on some wheels, so for an air-mobile artillery to work on Battletech/MegaMek tactical levels it'd have to be able to set the guns down in the right direction to begin with so the artillery crews can fine-tune the positioning manually.  Helicopters carrying artillery probably aren't going to do that since there will be plenty of swing in the lift hoist (especially for tactically maneuvering helicopters).  Strategic movement, on the other hand, makes plenty of sense.

Looks like the only way to wed artillery with VTOL movement tactically is to use Arrow IVs or one of the lighter artillery pieces mounted directly onto the VTOL like some sort of crazy Yellow Jacket.
(10-23-2011, 04:13 PM)Scolopendra link Wrote: Looks like the only way to wed artillery with VTOL movement tactically is to use Arrow IVs or one of the lighter artillery pieces mounted directly onto the VTOL like some sort of crazy Yellow Jacket.

There is a Yellow Jacket with Arrow IV. Somebody took the term "flying artillery" way too literally...
(10-23-2011, 06:44 PM)Sir Chaos link Wrote: [quote author=Scolopendra link=topic=188.msg1674#msg1674 date=1319400812]
Looks like the only way to wed artillery with VTOL movement tactically is to use Arrow IVs or one of the lighter artillery pieces mounted directly onto the VTOL like some sort of crazy Yellow Jacket.

There is a Yellow Jacket with Arrow IV. Somebody took the term "flying artillery" way too literally...
[/quote]

Once they fit an Arrow IV on an UrbanMech nothing was off limits.
And if an Arrow IV is too spendy, there's always the Thumper... nothing says it can't go on VTOLs, after all.

Not even real life.

EDIT:

In case anyone's interested in the technical report on that real life one, here you go.
If I remember right, of course this could be in just MegaMek, but artillery pieces cannot be used while equipped on a VTOL unit. The main example of this is the Karnov unit equipped with a side mounted Thumper. When trying to designate an attack target for the weapon, the game announces that VTOLs cannot use artillery class weapons (or something to that effect). If this rule is incorrect, then it needs to be fixed in the game sometime soon. That way we can all enjoy the power of a Karnov that works like an AC-130.
(05-07-2012, 07:51 PM)raozspaz link Wrote: If I remember right, of course this could be in just MegaMek, but artillery pieces cannot be used while equipped on a VTOL unit. The main example of this is the Karnov unit equipped with a side mounted Thumper. When trying to designate an attack target for the weapon, the game announces that VTOLs cannot use artillery class weapons (or something to that effect). If this rule is incorrect, then it needs to be fixed in the game sometime soon. That way we can all enjoy the power of a Karnov that works like an AC-130.

I've already started new code for the dropship mounted artillery. I can probably do VTOL ones too if you can point me at which book has the appropriate ruleset.
(05-07-2012, 09:38 PM)ralgith link Wrote: I've already started new code for the dropship mounted artillery. I can probably do VTOL ones too if you can point me at which book has the appropriate ruleset.

Im actually pretty sure that they cant use artillery for the same reason they cant use a heavy gauss rifle. Too much backwards recoil for the VTOL to take. If I happen to stumble upon some rules for the VTOL being able to use artillery, then I will forward the rule sets to you. Until then, I will live with my Auto Cannon toting AC-130.
Actually, I'm 99% sure they can use artillery, however they need to land to do it (same with dropships and I believe aerospace).

Now I'm not sure if that is coded into MM but those are the rules as far as I'm aware.
(05-07-2012, 10:54 PM)Jayof9s link Wrote: Actually, I'm 99% sure they can use artillery, however they need to land to do it (same with dropships and I believe aerospace).

Now I'm not sure if that is coded into MM but those are the rules as far as I'm aware.

Would be interesting to have an unofficial option for airborne firing then Big Grin
A' la Spectre Gunship style.

But maybe that would be better suited to a standard fighter? Big Grin
TacOps PG 180 - Seems only one type of artillery can fire from the air, the rest must be on the ground.

I also don't know if this is programmed into MM yet, seeing as I haven't tested it since I don't have a unit capable of flight which mounts any type of artillery at the moment. Tongue

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Air-Mobile BA pfarland 0 1,557 08-09-2012, 02:54 PM
Last Post: pfarland