Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Glossary of terms under the help menu
https://sourceforge.net/p/mekhq/feature-requests/285/

Under the "Help" menu, where currently there is only "About", can we have a glossary.  Bring together all the tool-tips and provide a short description for all the roles, skills etc.

From the people in the forum we can probably get this 90% written in a few days.

I find myself opening MM and going in to the pilot edit screen to get the descriptions for certain skills, e.g. "Weathered"
There's really no benefit to creating a feature request and then making a post about it. The devs see both and frankly, it doesn't make it any more likely that your feature request will get implemented...
(02-01-2015, 10:33 AM)Jayof9s link Wrote: There's really no benefit to creating a feature request and then making a post about it. The devs see both and frankly, it doesn't make it any more likely that your feature request will get implemented...

The point of additionally posting to the forum is for others, generally non-devs, to be able to discuss (with the devs) and refine an idea. As we know from one of the other threads on here, not everyone directly tracks the bugs or the feature request tracker or even bothers to read the posted requests or bugs before posting themselves in the trackers.  Also I see little in the way of discussion in the feature request tracker or the bug tracker, beyond the occasional requests for more information and the administrivia carried out by the devs (accepted, assigned, closed etc).

My posting here has nothing to do with prioritization; nobody in the player community is a true customer, no one is paying for a feature, or buying the product, so no one has specific influence as far as I am aware.  As I said in a separate post, I can take an ego boost as well as the next poster when I see bugs or features I requested getting in to a release, but it is everyone who gains.  Priority and implementation is set by developers, like yourself, most likely based on your available time, your particular skills or interest and/or the commonality of a request to something else being worked on.

If this forum is not for discussion of new ideas, existing bugs, requests for help, then what is it for? Personally I wish there were more discussion and more interaction here.

As always I really appreciate the effort you and your fellow devs put in to this project. It is a superb program.
I'm not saying this isn't the place for that type of discussion, just pointing out (poorly) that you essentially spammed the forum with a dozen threads within 2-3 days about feature requests. No point changing it now, but going forward if you've put in a bunch of feature requests at once and would like to discuss them, make one thread so you aren't taking over an entire section.  Wink
Yes, please. We don't need a dozen or so threads all just linking to feature requests.
I'm a little weary about a glossary about terms and mechanics. It seems like we'd be stepping on the toes of the rules books or duplicating them in part. Or am I interpreting the Glossary Idea all wrong? Smile
(02-01-2015, 09:02 PM)Xenon54z link Wrote: I'm a little weary about a glossary about terms and mechanics. It seems like we'd be stepping on the toes of the rules books or duplicating them in part. Or am I interpreting the Glossary Idea all wrong? Smile

I think what he's mostly suggesting is having the SPA names and tooltips in MHQ somewhere.  The tooltips for SPAs in MM do a decent enough job of describing what each SPA does (and I think quirks for that matter).  I don't know if MHQ has the same info anywhere and I think that's what he's talking about.
Jayof9s/Ralgith - Point taken; though I do find (in other forums) that people dislike blended threads.  I think though our group here is attentive enough to work with blended threads.

Arlith - Indeed you have me correct.  There is little point (and probably plenty of issues) duplicating the details of the manuals; but a single reference point in MHQ that has the tool-tips for Quirks and Special Abilities skills would be useful.  e.g difference between "Weathered" and "All Weather".  Those MM tool-tips are indeed more than sufficient. Is there not somewhere in the MM code where all these tool tips are stored, and thus they could just be referenced and formatted, rather than repeated.
I dislike blended threads... it leads to people picking and choosing topics instead of addressing all of them.

A blended thread with 5 good ideas, and one great idea leads to the one idea being discussed, to the exclusion of all others... and other good ideas are not implemented.

A blended thread with 5 good ideas and one bad idea leads to people dismissing the one bad idea and dismissing the good ideas just because they came from that person.

Threads that are a month old are still on the front page...
(02-04-2015, 05:31 PM)moghedan link Wrote: I dislike blended threads... it leads to people picking and choosing topics instead of addressing all of them.
A blended thread with 5 good ideas, and one great idea leads to the one idea being discussed, to the exclusion of all others... and other good ideas are not implemented.
A blended thread with 5 good ideas and one bad idea leads to people dismissing the one bad idea and dismissing the good ideas just because they came from that person.
Threads that are a month old are still on the front page...

The point here was more that... well... we don't even need the threads for them because they're not getting any discussion anyway. If he really wants discussion, the main CBT forum would likely be a better place. So it's just spamming our inboxes with thread notifications for threads that go nowhere, and I for one get enough BT emails lol. Thread notifications here, on the MM section of the CBT forum, notifications for all ticket changes on all three trackers, and also the emails sent directly to me. It's a lot to keep up with Wink So for this stuff, I was getting notified of the ticket, and then of the thread, so double shotted every time.
... and the downside of the CBT forum is that even just the "MM and associated programs" sub-sub-folder is 26125 posts on 926 topics for just the last 3 years.  I sympathise with ralgith feeling spammed by all the alerts/messages/posts/emails.  the CBT forum is nearly impossible to follow and has so much overflow of conversation that is is verging on the unusable. Even using searching it is problematic and difficult to find core information.

My personal interest (see features and bugs) is pretty much solidly in MHQ. I think it (MHQ) is an awesome program, and that's because I like running units, dealing with logistics, planning, and scheduling. Where as to me MM and MML are useful (and very good) adjunct programmes, I find that probably 90% of that forum (CBT) is not relevant to me.  But hey that's just me. 

btw. I have my browser set with a short-cut to the MHQ sub-folder of is forum flagging "New" posts, so I don't need to get email alerts, and keeping up with the forum is relatively easy.
It may be pretty crowded and busy there, but that's exactly why I think you should run these types of posts there: so they get seen and commented on. The forum activity here is so minimal as to sometimes make me feel it's pointless for us to even have this forum.
It isn't pointless. I can remember a few examples from the past as to why a separate forum is nice. Wink
(02-06-2015, 09:30 PM)Xenon54z link Wrote: It isn't pointless. I can remember a few examples from the past as to why a separate forum is nice. Wink

I did say only sometimes lol Wink