Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
map editor and roads
ok, roads are being a pain in the a$$.

i am trying to design "geomorphic" maps for MM.  what this means is that i am creating maps that you can put together, in any combination you like, and they will match up.  the roads will all connect.  but something strange is happening. 

in this 1st pic, you see my map with just the roads laid out.  in the preview and the view map window, everything is fine.

[Image: ZkGkHaDh.jpg]

now in this next pic.  i have checked the rotate box.  look what has happened to the preview window, it is all fuqed up.  now look at the view map window, the map looks fine.  i launch a game, and the map looks ok.

[Image: rCH97XGh.jpg]

so now i have changed the map dimensions to (2x1), use the same board twice, and everything matches up.

[Image: qJ4HgBEh.jpg]

now, all i have done in this pic is change board 0 to rotated.  if you look in the preview, it is all fuqed up again, but if you look in the view map window, nothing has changed!  the board is NOT rotated.  it looks just like the previous pic.  if i launch the game, the map is fine, but board 0 is NOT rotated.

[Image: BMFAr8Jh.jpg]

now, i have changed the map dimensions to (1x2).  put 2 of the same board together, and look at the view map window, all fuqed up again. 

[Image: fkknk1Wh.jpg]

but i launch the game, and my roads are now broken in the game too.

[Image: k78chrMh.jpg]

if i try to rotate the map, it gets fuqed up and the map really never changes.  so i try a (5x1) dimension, just stack the map above and below.  everything is ok.

[Image: Njig6vbh.jpg]

now i try a (4x4) map.  here is the end result.  so i can stack north to south, but it looks like east to west is fubared.  i just do not get it.  WTF is going on??

[Image: q6uZvS8h.jpg]

i had this almost working, xenon54 even came on to my server and saw them.  everything was fine until i started rotating boards, or butting them end to end.

To be able to rotate a board correctly, the width must be even.
omfg!  really???  LMFAO!  i had originally did a 32x10, but i noticed i was missing a hex row of terrain i needed, so i increased the size to 33x10, and that is when things went fubar.  so i need to do a 34x10?  that means adding terrain i was not expecting.  ok, will try.
1hr. later.    JESUS!! what a chore!  so with even width i will never be able to make the middle road of each map line up.  each map has 1 east/west exit, and 3 north/south exits.  i count in 9 hexes from each E/W edge and place an exit.  then you can not evenly count in from those 2 exits to get the 3rd exit.  instead i have to manipulate the exits in the editor, still though, the roads never all completely align.  there seems to always be 2 dead ends.  and this was just for 1 board, roads only.  WHEW!!  (where is the sweating emoticon?)
2nd board finished.  here is a preview of both boards.  so i got the pattern down, now it is just a matter of creating the boards.  geomorphic boards.  you can take these 2 boards and arrange them in any order.  for the most part, the roads align.

[Image: AyyFrjR.jpg]

I might also venture to caution you on using both even number for number of hexes. I think there is a reason that the default boards are 16x17 (or was it the other way around). Just something to consider or wonder about.
(06-30-2015, 07:25 PM)Xenon54z link Wrote:I might also venture to caution you on using both even number for number of hexes. I think there is a reason that the default boards are 16x17 (or was it the other way around). Just something to consider or wonder about.

IIRC it's for rotation purposes.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  map editor and buildings Immelmann 18 3,824 06-29-2015, 07:29 PM
Last Post: Immelmann
  map editor and elevation Immelmann 2 884 06-29-2015, 07:24 PM
Last Post: Immelmann
  MegaMek Editor seems empty gu3rilla77 2 900 08-03-2013, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Jayof9s
  Null Buildings in Map Editor Rufus Ingram 3 1,118 02-24-2013, 08:22 PM
Last Post: Jayof9s
  Map editor Jordax 3 1,194 01-06-2013, 12:36 AM