Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Something strange with MM reading my boards
Need help.

Something is wrong with either my board or the way MM is reading multiple boards.

Attached is a board that I made. Try loading just a single occurrence of the 35x35 board and play the game. The road from center to north east is working normally.

Now try loading 1x2 or was it 2x1 (left and right board) using the same board. You will notice that the road from the center to north east is broken, but only for the board on the right side.

Try 2x2 boards, both roads on the right side is broken. Now try 3x3 boards, all 3 roads on the center column is broken.

Is this only me?

Attached Files
.board   Green - Road - Swamp - Lonely Swampy Forest Road NES- 35x35.board (Size: 33.76 KB / Downloads: 1)
The problem here is that your map has an uneven width.

Those won't (and can't) work as multiple maps, since which column is higher and which lower switches around when you stitch them together side-by-side.

Essentially, your original map looks like this (just a quick example schematic, but MegaMek uses the same principle):

Code:
O    O
   O
O    X
   X
X    O
   O
O    O
   O
("X" represents your road)

In-memory, and on disk, those are stored as an array:

Code:
OOO
OXX
XOO
OOO

Now the game tries to put the same map side by side, it first does so in the array form:

Code:
OOOOOO
OXXOXX
XOOXOO
OOOOOO

And then translates that into hexes, leading to the "broken" road:
Code:
O    O    O
   O    O    O
O    X    X
   X    O    X
X    O    O
   O    X    O
O    O    O
   O    O    O

Morale of the story: Only use maps with an odd width as stand-alone maps.
Oh. Multiple maps should have odd width. What about height?
(08-28-2015, 03:40 AM)SirMegaV link Wrote: Oh. Multiple maps should have odd width. What about height?

Maps used for map stitching should have even width, so 34 or 36, but never 35.

Height doesn't matter, can be anything. That's why the official maps are 16x17 and not 17x16 ...
(08-28-2015, 03:50 AM)Akjosch link Wrote: Maps used for map stitching should have even width, so 34 or 36, but never 35.
Height doesn't matter, can be anything. That's why the official maps are 16x17 and not 17x16 ...

Thanks for the info. Smile

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Strange UI Bug Bill 20 6,864 08-09-2014, 08:01 PM
Last Post: BATTLEMASTER
  Strange RAT error? frostvarg 6 1,988 01-07-2013, 10:59 PM
Last Post: Gardengnome