Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Requesting Features
So I can't seem to figure out how create a feature request on the megamek sourceforge list (http://sourceforge.net/p/megamek/feature-requests/).

I have a really simple request to ask on behalf of a megamek club I'm starting at college. It would simplify things for us quite a bit, but I don't want to clutter up the forums by posting it in the wrong place.
0. Create a SourceForge account if you don't already have one.
1. Log-in into your SourceForge account
2. Click on the "Create Ticket" button on the left side (or just go to this page)
3. Fill out title and text field. Don't bother with anything else on that form. Be as verbose as you can in your description, so people know what you want and why, and can possibly provide workarounds or point you to already implemented (unofficial) game rules.
4. Click on the "Save" button.
(09-02-2015, 12:23 PM)inventor200 link Wrote: I have a really simple request to ask on behalf of a megamek club I'm starting at college. It would simplify things for us quite a bit, but I don't want to clutter up the forums by posting it in the wrong place.

Still create the ticket following Akjosch's advice but I am curious to hear the idea if you want to post here as well. (I can always see the ticket too I suppose)

And best of luck getting the group started, I hope you're able to bring some fresh blood into the game.  Wink
Due to previous experience when dealing with older or more experienced MegaMek players, I'm guessing you're all going to hate this, which is why I'm stressing the fact that this will be an optional game rule. However, I'm aware of a small portion of the fanbase who stands with me. This also includes everyone who has joined my club so far, so I hope people can understand that this request has a demand.

My request is to add an option so that the game doesn't offer physical attacks (except for DFAs and charges). My club and I, as well as the fanbase portion I mentioned earlier, have many reasons for this preference, but we have received some hate for it on other sites (mainly MWO forums).

Our main reason for this is that new members don't often notice that they're in the physical phase, and we've had instances where physical attacks (in one case, a push) were done by accident, which resulted in a general disgruntled "WTF" reaction from other members. (Again, forgive our heresy here, but we're all engineers and have a very practical and non-romanticized tank-like view and preference for 'mechs)

This would be amazing for bot fights as well. Right now, the princess bot will do physicals, but we would like to have the bot limited to DFAs and charges, just as the other players would be, without restricting her to Clan 'mechs too. (there's a no-physicals-for-Clans rule, but we like IS 'mechs too)

Right now, the bot and all her physical attack habits annoy the players in our group enough that we don't make any use of her.

So yeah. I'm expecting a few heresy accusations, but this would be our request. Again, it wouldn't benefit just our group to make this option available. There are other groups and players with similar no-physical rules.

TL;DR: A requested game option that removes physical attacks, excepting charges and DFAs.
I would also like to say:

Thank you for helping me. I didn't know I needed a sourceforge account to make a ticket. xD
I mean, it's certainly easy enough to add (already exists as an option for Clan designs as you pointed out) so I'm sure someone can add an option. But yeah, I'm not sure I agree - since it just ignores a major part of the game - but my agreeing is not really a pre-requisite for things going in.  Wink
(09-02-2015, 01:52 PM)Jayof9s link Wrote: I mean, it's certainly easy enough to add (already exists as an option for Clan designs as you pointed out) so I'm sure someone can add an option. But yeah, I'm not sure I agree - since it just ignores a major part of the game - but my agreeing is not really a pre-requisite for things going in.  Wink

Thank you for your optimism and understanding. The majority of players and fans of the BattleTech universe disagree with us, but again this will only be a option. Everyone else can just play with it turned off. :3

EDIT: I would also like to add that, to our group, this doesn't take aware a major part of the game, since we don't use that part of the game anyways. We are very happy (and addicted) to the game as it is when the only physicals used are charges and DFAs. xD
Alrighty, I have created a request ticket:
https://sourceforge.net/p/megamek/featur...ests/1396/
This is actually a dead simple feature to add.  Basically, you want the whole physical phase to be skipped.  I think this RFE would really only require changing about 4 lines of code.  Basically, add the game option, and then in the Server code that determines what phase to perform after the firing report, change it so it goes to the end report phase instead of the physical phase.
(09-02-2015, 03:16 PM)Arlith link Wrote: This is actually a dead simple feature to add.  Basically, you want the whole physical phase to be skipped.  I think this RFE would really only require changing about 4 lines of code.  Basically, add the game option, and then in the Server code that determines what phase to perform after the firing report, change it so it goes to the end report phase instead of the physical phase.

Big Grin Very good news to hear!
Uhm ... wouldn't skipping the physical attack phase make 'Mechs rather helpless to infantry swarm attacks? You know, since that's the phase they use to try and shake them off ...
(09-02-2015, 04:05 PM)Akjosch link Wrote: Uhm ... wouldn't skipping the physical attack phase make 'Mechs rather helpless to infantry swarm attacks? You know, since that's the phase they use to try and shake them off ...

I haven't worked with infantry very often, but I always thought that shaking them off was during the movement phase...? O.o Should I amend my request to include a link to this thread? That way any ideas we have here can be considered.

When you say infantry, do you mean battle armor? How deadly is battle armor in MegaMek when used by a skilled player? In my limited experience, battle armor movement limitations make it really hard to land them on a 'mech as it is... but again, I'm not a master of infantry by ANY means.

If it really does kill a lot of balance in that regard, then shake-off should be allowed too.

EDIT: Dangit... I was hoping to keep this request as simple as possible so that way implementation wouldn't be difficult. I just realized this may open a much larger can o' worms...
(09-02-2015, 04:45 PM)inventor200 link Wrote: [quote author=Akjosch link=topic=2218.msg14628#msg14628 date=1441224339]
Uhm ... wouldn't skipping the physical attack phase make 'Mechs rather helpless to infantry swarm attacks? You know, since that's the phase they use to try and shake them off ...

I haven't worked with infantry very often, but I always thought that shaking them off was during the movement phase...? O.o Should I amend my request to include a link to this thread? That way any ideas we have here can be considered.[/quote]

It's the physical attacks phase (see "Fighting Off Swarm Attacks", TW 221). And yes, it works with Battle Armor too.

Reading a bit further, there are a few more physical attacks happening by non-'Mechs in that phase: vehicles equipped with the backhoe (TW 130) can attack buildings, the same equipped with the chainsaw or dual saw (TW 134) can use that phase to clear wooded hexes, and finally vehicles with the wrecking ball (TW 143) which can make normal physical attacks on everything else with it. I never used any of them though, so I don't even know if they are available in the current version of MegaMek.

(09-02-2015, 04:45 PM)inventor200 link Wrote: Dangit... I was hoping to keep this request as simple as possible so that way implementation wouldn't be difficult. I just realized this may open a much larger can o' worms...

If you think that is a big can o' worms, I also have a working proof-of-concept code for an OpenGL client to MegaMek ... (just a few first screens and interactions though, there's a lot of GUI to work through).
See, this is why I had to make my own sci-fi universe and its own equivalent of MegaMek on the Unity engine. Except the netcode messed up and it was thrown into dev hell.

Then I realized I could submit a request to make it easier to fill the void.
I just read this...doesn't your group use any hatchet-wielding mechs? Heck, there a great scene from one of the warrior trillogy books where a battlemaster (Hanse Davion) ripped another mechs' arm off and used it like a club...
(On a side note, that scene earned me extra credit my freshman year, because it had a reference to Beowulf and Grendel in it!)
Nope; our group refuses to use hatchet mechs or use such melee tactics.