Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tile set and Theme
New tileset can be added by creating a new tileset file at the hex folder. It will appear automatically at the client setting graphic pull down menu. What about adding a new theme? The existing themes; snow, grass, Mars, lunar etc, are they hard coded? I modified an existing tileset by adding a new theme section for superimposing images but it doesn't work. Help.
Themes can be added to hexes when you create boards.  The theme of the hex in the board will be used to match it to a theme from a tileset.  You can basically use any string, it just matches the theme string in the board to a theme string in the tileset.  Does that make sense?
Yup. It make sense. But I was asking how I can create a brand new theme. :p Sorry for my bad English.
(10-17-2015, 06:32 PM)SirMegaV link Wrote: I was asking how I can create a brand new theme.
(10-17-2015, 04:57 PM)Arlith link Wrote: You can basically use any string, it just matches the theme string in the board to a theme string in the tileset.

There's really no creating a theme.  It's just whatever theme is used in the board file will get matched to a theme in the tileset.  There's no definition of a theme.  If you set a theme on a hex in the board, it will create an affinity for that theme in the tileset (if it exists).  Themes are just used to decide what image to use on the hex.  Theme matches will rate higher.
(10-17-2015, 11:32 PM)Arlith link Wrote: There's really no creating a theme.  It's just whatever theme is used in the board file will get matched to a theme in the tileset.  There's no definition of a theme.  If you set a theme on a hex in the board, it will create an affinity for that theme in the tileset (if it exists).  Themes are just used to decide what image to use on the hex.  Theme matches will rate higher.

I wrote something like this.

base * "" "space" "Customs - SirMegaV - Space/Space-01.gif;Customs - SirMegaV - Space/Space-02.gif;Customs - SirMegaV - Space/Space-03.gif;Customs - SirMegaV - Space/Space-04.gif;Customs - SirMegaV - Space/Space-05.gif;Customs - SirMegaV - Space/Space-06.gif;Customs - SirMegaV - Space/Space-07.gif;Customs - SirMegaV - Space/Space-08.gif;Customs - SirMegaV - Space/Space-09.gif;Customs - SirMegaV - Space/Space-10.gif"

super * "smoke:1" "space" "Customs - SirMegaV - Space/Asteriod-01.gif;Customs - SirMegaV - Space/Asteriod-02.gif;Customs - SirMegaV - Space/Asteriod-03.gif;Customs - SirMegaV - Space/Asteriod-04.gif;Customs - SirMegaV - Space/Asteriod-05.gif;"

The <base * "" "space"> is showing properly.. but <super * "smoke:1" "space"> when the hex is <smoke:1> refuse to show my image. Arg.....
Hmmm, it seems lile that should work, I guess I'll have to look at the code to see if I see anything.
Thanks. What I was trying to do is to replace the normal plain hex to space hex, which worked, light smoke to asteroid, which is not working, and smoke 2 to planet hex, after asteroid. Hope you can help me find out why it's not working. Btw, my space theme codes are located at the bottom most of the atmospheric tileset.
It may help if you attach your tileset file and a board file.
I'm currently away at the moment. I will post the files this Friday.
(10-19-2015, 10:13 AM)Arlith link Wrote: It may help if you attach your tileset file and a board file.

I'm back. I'm attaching the new hexes and modified tileset. The 'space' was replaced properly and at the center, the smoke is suppose to show asteroid. Hope that you can help.

Attached Files
.rar   Space.rar (Size: 95.15 KB / Downloads: 2)
Forgot about the board...

Attached Files
.board   A Space - 50x50.board (Size: 56.52 KB / Downloads: 2)
Alright, this is kind of dumb, but the issue is order.  For supers, once a terrain feature has found a match, that terrain feature is removed and no more matches will be found for that terrain feature.  Because of this, that means that your themed super entries *must* proceed the unthemed super entries, otherwise things won't work.

I doubt this is really documented anywhere, and is basically just a weird gotcha.  The code could maybe be improved by I'm somewhat reluctant to change it (it's part of a fundamental operation in the rendering pipeline).

edit: Just to be clear, all you need to do is take your "SirMegaV" section, and place it at the top of the file instead of the bottom (right after the file header).
(10-24-2015, 01:31 PM)Arlith link Wrote: edit: Just to be clear, all you need to do is take your "SirMegaV" section, and place it at the top of the file instead of the bottom (right after the file header).

Thanks Arlith. I managed to do it after following your instructions. Attached is what I was trying to achieve. Please ignore the unit symbols.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

That looks cool.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  low res tile sets? bfshadow 0 1,182 02-27-2011, 07:59 PM
Last Post: bfshadow