Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MEKHQ hangs on start-up, could not find "x" unit from "y" rat
Version 3.23 I guess is missing a bunch of unit files like the Chameleon CLN-4V but, those files are still in the rats and takes forever to start up.

Attached Files
.txt   mekhqlog.txt (Size: 1.29 MB / Downloads: 1)
.cache   units.cache (Size: 3.47 MB / Downloads: 0)
There must be something off.  When I download a fresh copy of 3.23 there are about 10 units missing from the RATs.

Have you copied old data over new? Or unzipped into a previous versions folder and said no to overwritting data files?
Yes i downloaded version 0.2.0 stable and extracted to my current MEKHQ folder and clicked "no to all" so it would only insert units i didnt currently have and same result.  Also tried with 3.16 and same result.  I am only using the rats up to 3025 starting this new campaign.  After extracting from those versions it still doesnt put those units in my mekhq folder like the CLN-4V.  Also when creating a new mission manually in the briefing room and then editing it to put in text like start and end dates it wont let you save that mission unless you change the name each time.  So, right now im just extracting 3.16 to my folder and overwritting all the 3.23 files.  I love this program but, Im running into a lot of issues with 3.23
Missing and matching versions of any of the MegaMek programs will causes issues.

You should always download the newest version, unzip its own file.  Then move save games and customs to the new folder.  I can tell you that pretty much everything release will have lots of tweaks to the unit files.  Especially as the MUL gets updated with revised dates, or changes names.  Plus just the errors we catch.

For example those Xotl RATs I fixed months ago.
Ok i will extract 3.23 to it's own separate folder on the desktop and try that.  Ive been I guess using each new version like a patch and overwriting my old one so, each version is a stand alone game then.  And transferring a campaign file from an older version wont have issues when running it with an updated mekhq?
It shouldn't.  BUT will each version having new code and fixes sometimes things do break.  So I have a customs folder that I keep all my custom files and a copy of save games and campaign files.

That way if I have to revert to an older version I just go and grab the files from there.  I'd rather loss a couple of months of campaign time than have a broker campaign file.

Alright, 3.23 is in its own folder now, starts up a lot faster and I'm happy with that.  Still has the same could not find unit and failed to load equipment lines in the log but, the load time issue is fixed hopefully it doesnt slow down later.  Thanks for the support.

Attached Files
.txt   3.23Initial.txt (Size: 37.03 KB / Downloads: 1)
Looks like you need to move \data\images\force folder from an old release to the 3.23 release.  As for the Chameleon and the other missing unit they are fixed and will be in the next MHQ release.
As far as the load times, when you first run a new release of HQ/MM/MML the program has to build a copy of the unit.cache. This by itself takes awhile as does loading all of the new rats. When the new rats from neoancient were added it felt like the load time for my campaigns doubled.
MHQ may be different, but in MHQ, the RAT loading times aren't too long (around 3s).  There's now a line in the logfile like:
Code:
Loaded Rats in: 4323ms.

Perhaps MHQ does more that makes the loading time longer, but, you can see how long it takes to actually load the RATs.  (I had experimented with making the RATS compressible, like the unit files.)
My line states: "Loaded Rats in: 34875ms." It did slow down last night after turning ATB on.  If ATB is not enabled then it is fine.  Ill deal with it i guess.

Attached Files
.txt   mekhqlog.txt (Size: 572.96 KB / Downloads: 1)
Did you try and move the  \data\images\force  folder from an older release to the new release? I'm still seeing the errors relating to those.
I started all over with a new campaign as the FS Armored Calvary now.  I dont have my old unit icons anymore.  Is that what all those NPE's are about even with starting over?

Attached Files
.png   AFFS-FSACRCT-2REG-2BN.png (Size: 28.06 KB / Downloads: 33)
It would be the files like these -

http://megamek.info/forums/index.php?topic=2205.0

If you still have your old folder you can copy that force folder to the 3.23 folder.
Ok that worked, I extracted the force folder from the 3.23 download file into my mekhq appropriate folder and the NPEs are gone, loaded a little bit faster.  What I was doing was I would go in there and delete those "sword and fist" etc force icons and the "empty" and "book" force icons because Im not going to use those.  I make my own custom images in paint from images off sarna.net.  Why are those images so important to Mekhq to cause a NPE theyre not really needed?
new log

Attached Files
.txt   mekhqlog.txt (Size: 18.35 KB / Downloads: 0)
(01-23-2016, 10:57 PM)BLOODWOLF link Wrote: Ok that worked, I extracted the force folder from the 3.23 download file into my mekhq appropriate folder and the NPEs are gone, loaded a little bit faster.  What I was doing was I would go in there and delete those "sword and fist" etc force icons and the "empty" and "book" force icons because Im not going to use those.  I make my own custom images in paint from images off sarna.net.  Why are those images so important to Mekhq to cause a NPE theyre not really needed?
With the downloaded release you really shouldn't delete any of things in the folders.  You should only have to add the customs and campaigns.

That said adjusting the memory size can help things out.
The book icon I have no idea about but the default icon is just that. It needs that one icon for each force since you cannot set the force icon at the time you create a force.
Ok the default/empty icon makes sense now, that was the cause of the NPE.
And Hammer, since your the RATs guy, I dont know what RAT to use if I need to generate a unit without going through the unit market.  Intro box set rules, yr3025, Federated Suns Armored Calvary.  Had a cyclops suffer an ammo explosion and needed to generate/issue another mech for the pilot so, used the neoancient yr3000 Davion assault mechs in megamek to have it generate a mech for me but, Im not sure what RATs are used when like for the year 3025?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mac OSX: Can't find file/directory askindred 2 126 06-22-2019, 07:59 PM
Last Post: askindred
  MekHQ Marketplace Unit List Blank blackcatf 0 91 02-16-2019, 04:53 PM
Last Post: blackcatf
  MekHQ 0.3.21 will not start MagnusEffect 4 967 01-17-2016, 03:04 AM
Last Post: MagnusEffect
  Hangs Loading Units (unplayable) just1chancefree 27 4,043 05-15-2013, 11:07 PM
Last Post: Xenon54z
  Cannot find stock mechs Madcow9000 3 1,157 10-21-2012, 05:19 PM
Last Post: ralgith