This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Map Hex Images
(08-07-2016, 02:38 PM)Hammer link Wrote: Not sure if there is anything of use here - http://goo.gl/mMqU8E

Not an artist so I'll defer to the experts - depending on the license requirements we should be able to use most of these.

Been there before for references. But it's not easy to find top down images.
Updated files.

Attached Files
.7z   hexes.7z (Size: 3.31 MB / Downloads: 3)
(08-07-2016, 09:56 PM)SirMegaV link Wrote: [quote author=Hammer link=topic=2338.msg16714#msg16714 date=1470595087]
Not sure if there is anything of use here - http://goo.gl/mMqU8E

Not an artist so I'll defer to the experts - depending on the license requirements we should be able to use most of these.

Been there before for references. But it's not easy to find top down images.
[/quote]

Yeah.  Assuming that they would survive rescaling, they could make for decent isometric building images.  They wouldn't work with anything that I've done though and I don't think they would work with any of the stuff I've seen by SirMegaV either.  Even rescaling them and making them still look good would be quite a bit of work.

So getting pretty OT with this but, out of curiosity, why is most of megamek's art top-down anyways?  At a guess, it's because that's how battletech does it.  Battletech *probably* does it like that because it predates some of the influential computer games that really popularized the isometric thing.  Besides which, isometric perspectives have problems in board games where people can be looking at it from any angle, whereas in 2d computer games, the angle of view is entirely predictable.  I don't know SirMegaV's motives for going top-down, but I would be curious to hear them.  I can say that my motive for keeping the top-down perspective is because my biggest use of megamek is probably pretty uncommon.  I use the map editor to make and print mapsheets for tabletop play.  Due to the problems with isometric perspectives in such a role, I stuck with top-down.
(08-07-2016, 11:04 PM)ColonelSandersLite link Wrote: Yeah.  Assuming that they would survive rescaling, they could make for decent isometric building images.  They wouldn't work with anything that I've done though and I don't think they would work with any of the stuff I've seen by SirMegaV either.  Even rescaling them and making them still look good would be quite a bit of work.

Yup.. most of them can't survive rescalling, except for the simple designs. Posting here is fine, I'm doing it as a contribution back to MM since I'm playing it for free.  ;D

Quote:So getting pretty OT with this but, out of curiosity, why is most of megamek's art top-down anyways?  At a guess, it's because that's how battletech does it.  Battletech *probably* does it like that because it predates some of the influential computer games that really popularized the isometric thing.  Besides which, isometric perspectives have problems in board games where people can be looking at it from any angle, whereas in 2d computer games, the angle of view is entirely predictable.  I don't know SirMegaV's motives for going top-down, but I would be curious to hear them.  I can say that my motive for keeping the top-down perspective is because my biggest use of megamek is probably pretty uncommon.  I use the map editor to make and print mapsheets for tabletop play.  Due to the problems with isometric perspectives in such a role, I stuck with top-down.

My reason?
1. Original BT maps = top down
2. MM maps = top down (turning off the isometric view)
3. 99%? hex images in MM = top down
4. SirMegaV = following the majoring.. if MM have plans to go 3D.. then I might learn 3D too..  ;D
Satellite Dish

Attached Files
.gif   FluffSystem-03-Hardware-05-SatelliteDish-1-01.gif (Size: 1.13 KB / Downloads: 68)
.gif   FluffSystem-03-Hardware-05-SatelliteDish-2-01.gif (Size: 1.03 KB / Downloads: 68)
.gif   FluffSystem-03-Hardware-05-SatelliteDish-3-01.gif (Size: 1.9 KB / Downloads: 67)
.gif   FluffSystem-03-Hardware-05-SatelliteDish-4-01.gif (Size: 3.03 KB / Downloads: 68)
If I can get prototypical images of buildings from a top-down view, I can draw the art. That's no problem. It's just having the inspiration and source images that people would want to use.

Find those and I'll do it.
(08-08-2016, 10:43 AM)TigerShark link Wrote: If I can get prototypical images of buildings from a top-down view, I can draw the art. That's no problem. It's just having the inspiration and source images that people would want to use.

Can you do the missing units? Smile
(08-08-2016, 12:50 PM)SirMegaV link Wrote: [quote author=TigerShark link=topic=2338.msg16724#msg16724 date=1470667410]
If I can get prototypical images of buildings from a top-down view, I can draw the art. That's no problem. It's just having the inspiration and source images that people would want to use.

[/quote]

My art style is different than Deadborder's. And since his automatically replace mine in the MegaMek trunk once he's drawn them, I'd rather not waste the time.  :-\
(08-08-2016, 12:57 PM)TigerShark link Wrote: My art style is different than Deadborder's. And since his automatically replace mine in the MegaMek trunk once he's drawn them, I'd rather not waste the time.  :-\

Deadborder has made it fairly clear that he's only interested in doing meks.  If you do aeros or vehicles, there's a pretty low chance of your icons being replaced, particularly if you cover all variants (I believe that's the main reason in choosing DB's icons over others is that he always covers all the variants, which allows us to maintain consistency across variants for meks).
I might get around to some of them then. Can't say when, or how consistently they will become available. But I'll give it a shot. Stuff that can be used on my server will always come first, thoughl.
Road/Roof Sign Boards

Attached Files
.gif   FluffSystem-03-Hardware-06-SignBoard-1-02.gif (Size: 536 bytes / Downloads: 54)
.gif   FluffSystem-03-Hardware-06-SignBoard-2-02.gif (Size: 363 bytes / Downloads: 54)
.7z   hexes.7z (Size: 3.33 MB / Downloads: 2)
(08-08-2016, 12:57 PM)TigerShark link Wrote: [quote author=SirMegaV link=topic=2338.msg16726#msg16726 date=1470675054]
[quote author=TigerShark link=topic=2338.msg16724#msg16724 date=1470667410]

[/quote]

My art style is different than Deadborder's. And since his automatically replace mine in the MegaMek trunk once he's drawn them, I'd rather not waste the time.  :-\
[/quote]

As Arlith mentions, I think the quality of your Sprites is Fantastic, but the goal for the sprites is to have one sprite for every variant and keep a consistent art style.

That said I have add the Chevalier and Goblin and other vee's you've made.  One thing I've tried to duplicate and had no successful is creating your Camo style, which I think look amazing in game.  But we really want consistency in the art style.

If you ever made camo's for all the units I'd replace the existing ones in a millisec.

I'm really appreciative of the quality of the sprites and tried to use the ones I can.
(08-12-2016, 03:42 AM)SirMegaV link Wrote: Road/Roof Sign Boards

I had a thought the other day.  I think ColonelSandersLite posted a picture on the BTech forms that had some of your HVAC fluff icons in it.  Someone commented, "Now we have some nice heavy industrial icons!"  I know your original icons weren't intended for that, but do you think you could create some?  It might be nice to have several different heavy industrial icons that get randomly picked, but to me, since those hexs can explode, I imagine it like some type of chemical refinery, like this.  Which makes some of your HVAC icons fairly close.
(08-12-2016, 09:35 AM)Arlith link Wrote: [quote author=SirMegaV link=topic=2338.msg16778#msg16778 date=1470987737]
Road/Roof Sign Boards

I had a thought the other day.  I think ColonelSandersLite posted a picture on the BTech forms that had some of your HVAC fluff icons in it.  Someone commented, "Now we have some nice heavy industrial icons!"  I know your original icons weren't intended for that, but do you think you could create some?  It might be nice to have several different heavy industrial icons that get randomly picked, but to me, since those hexs can explode, I imagine it like some type of chemical refinery, like this.  Which makes some of your HVAC icons fairly close.
[/quote]

Random heavy industry icon? You mean something like how a Simcity player lay out the industry zone then the PC will randomly fill up the zones with building/stuffs? The refinery... Hm... Should those icons be independent or connected to the next icon?
I mean random in that, you can specify multiple images for the same terrain and MM "randomly" picks the icon to display from that list.  I was thinking of heavy industry hexes are stand-alone, but I guess you could have them connect together as well.  It seems easier to do stand-alone images than have something for heavy industrial that tiles together.

Right now, we just have a "caution" type sign, which isn't very inspiring.
That's exactly what I did.  6 of SirMegaV's industrial style tiles in 8 different rotations each for a total of 48 varieties, randomly chosen.  Used as heavy industrial zone.
(08-12-2016, 08:53 AM)Hammer link Wrote: As Arlith mentions, I think the quality of your Sprites is Fantastic, but the goal for the sprites is to have one sprite for every variant and keep a consistent art style.

That said I have add the Chevalier and Goblin and other vee's you've made.  One thing I've tried to duplicate and had no successful is creating your Camo style, which I think look amazing in game.  But we really want consistency in the art style.

If you ever made camo's for all the units I'd replace the existing ones in a millisec.

I'm really appreciative of the quality of the sprites and tried to use the ones I can.

Thank you! I appreciate that Smile

The camo is actually the easiest thing to do lol You can't really batch edit all of the camo or anything, since lighter camos will need different tweaks than dark camo. But here's a run-down:

(1) Take the "COM - White.gif" image and change it to RGB (it's currently restricted to 256 colors).

(2) Copy the flat camo file you want to make into 3-D. Paste it in a layer over the COM - White image.

(3) If the image is dark, keep it as the top layer. If it's lighter, place it under the COM layer.

(4) Edit the top player's blending options. Soft Light, Hard Light, and others will be appropriate. If the image is too dark/light, play with the Brightness / Contrast of the both layers, independently.

And really, that's about it. Sometimes I will play with the saturation, since adding contrast will brighten the image and lowering it will desaturate the colors. On overly bright images, you might have more work to do in the 'highlighted' portion of the camo (center-left), since it will often appear white and give the unit a terrible, 'plastic' look.
I'd say about 75% of the camos on my server are correct. I try combing through them, occasionally, but as they don't have much bearing on my era of play, some get left by the wayside (especially WOB and Clan). I also have absolutely NO Republic camos.

Been going through Camospecs and fixing the Great Houses / Periphery ones, however. Or bringing them in-line with the flat camos you currently use. It's just not a concerted-enough effort to make anything usable by the MM package, though.
(08-12-2016, 10:55 AM)Arlith link Wrote: I mean random in that, you can specify multiple images for the same terrain and MM "randomly" picks the icon to display from that list.  I was thinking of heavy industry hexes are stand-alone, but I guess you could have them connect together as well.  It seems easier to do stand-alone images than have something for heavy industrial that tiles together.

Right now, we just have a "caution" type sign, which isn't very inspiring.

Yup. Get what you mean. Stand alone is indeed a lot easier. Just that i was thinking... will it look like a mess? I can't test now, but imagine if I have a 5x5 industrial zone, and MM take randomly from my current hardware fluffs, it might look scary. Wink

Colonel, if you have time this weekend, can you post a 5x5 randomly placed hardware images? Btw I noticed that you are only using the 'bigger' hardwares.
(08-12-2016, 11:32 AM)TigerShark link Wrote: [quote author=Hammer link=topic=2338.msg16783#msg16783 date=1471006411]
As Arlith mentions, I think the quality of your Sprites is Fantastic, but the goal for the sprites is to have one sprite for every variant and keep a consistent art style.

Thank you! I appreciate that Smile

The camo is actually the easiest thing to do lol You can't really batch edit all of the camo or anything, since lighter camos will need different tweaks than dark camo. But here's a run-down:

(1) Take the "COM - White.gif" image and change it to RGB (it's currently restricted to 256 colors).

(2) Copy the flat camo file you want to make into 3-D. Paste it in a layer over the COM - White image.

(3) If the image is dark, keep it as the top layer. If it's lighter, place it under the COM layer.

(4) Edit the top player's blending options. Soft Light, Hard Light, and others will be appropriate. If the image is too dark/light, play with the Brightness / Contrast of the both layers, independently.

And really, that's about it. Sometimes I will play with the saturation, since adding contrast will brighten the image and lowering it will desaturate the colors. On overly bright images, you might have more work to do in the 'highlighted' portion of the camo (center-left), since it will often appear white and give the unit a terrible, 'plastic' look.
[/quote]

Gonna try casting Summon Bloodwolf.....

I'm bloody dangerous with art assets (just look at the Leopard on the ground one).

If the spell works and BW isn't buried on Sprites, Skins, I'd be curious to see what he could do. ")