Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Other people can't connect to your server? Read here.
If you can create and play MegaMek games on your own computer and against the bot, but other players can't join it, you'll probably have to setup port forwarding on your router, and/or add an exception to your software firewall, like for example the Windows Firewall.

If you have a router:
You need to set up port-forwarding on your router to forward the port that MegaMek uses (by default 2346) with the TCP protocol to your computer's local IP adress.
For an explanation how to do this on a lot of different routers, visit this website:
http://portforward.com/routers.htm
There, select your router model and then click the "Default Guide" link.
It will guide you on how to do portforwarding on your specific router.

If you have a software firewall, you need to set it up so that it allows incoming connections to the configured port (by default 2346), with the TCP protocol.
On some software firewalls, you'll also have to set which application should be able to "listen" on that port.
On Windows machines, this is usually "javaw.exe", if you start MegaMek using the MegaMek.exe file. To be sure, also add that exception for "java.exe".
Let me add that there are quite a few useful websites out there like http://www.whatsmyip.org/ that will run tests to tell you things like your external IP address and whether a port you think is open is actually open.
I highly don't recommend following the instructions on the Portforward.com site advising you to use their software to find your IP information.  Their software changes default search engines and worse, messing up other things such as what is displayed when opening a new tab. 

I'm am currently trying to remove this disease from my computer without a full blown reset.
(03-11-2014, 12:28 AM)CarnageINC link Wrote: I highly don't recommend following the instructions on the Portforward.com site advising you to use their software to find your IP information.  Their software changes default search engines and worse, messing up other things such as what is displayed when opening a new tab. 

I'm am currently trying to remove this disease from my computer without a full blown reset.

What are you talking about? They have several pieces of software, and in my experience none of them change anything about your computer. Unless of course, you illegally downloaded their paid software from somewhere else and it contained a virus that did all of that. Or, if they've gone the route of having things embedded in their software and you didn't uncheck the boxes for those things during uninstall.
They are bundling Conduit, Linkey, and something else I didn't really notice. Decline, Decline, Decline required for a clean installation.
No sir, I downloaded via their website.  I tried to use the software from this page,

http://portforward.com/help/setup_static_ip_address.htm

The download link in step one is where I got the program from.

That program installed a Browser Highjacker program called "Default-search.net".  Here is a link of what it is.
http://computervirusmanualremval.blogspo...-from.html
It installs 2 'protection' programs into your computer also. You can remove these via uninstall programs.  But you have to manually stop those services and then delete the new search engine option and then have to change back homepage settings.  I use Firefox and had to default my browser settings to get rid of this 'default-search.net' when opening a new tab.

In addition to that it also placed some other malware onto my computer.  Here is the files I had in quarantine.

[Image: Malware.jpg]

Not a very fun experience it took hours to research and figure out how to squash it.  I'm still paranoid about my system and I'm contemplating a complete new install of Win7.
(03-11-2014, 11:43 AM)scJazz link Wrote: They are bundling Conduit, Linkey, and something else I didn't really notice. Decline, Decline, Decline required for a clean installation.

I normally detest using a third party program as such but I was in a hurry to figure out how to connect the game with a friend.  I guess I didn't quite understand what i was agreeing to and accepted some of those choices.  Shame on me, but I hate it when exe. files put those sort of options out there, it seems dishonest to me.
(03-11-2014, 11:47 AM)CarnageINC link Wrote: [quote author=scJazz link=topic=30.msg10277#msg10277 date=1394552603]
They are bundling Conduit, Linkey, and something else I didn't really notice. Decline, Decline, Decline required for a clean installation.

I normally detest using a third party program as such but I was in a hurry to figure out how to connect the game with a friend.  I guess I didn't quite understand what i was agreeing to and accepted some of those choices.  Shame on me, but I hate it when exe. files put those sort of options out there, it seems dishonest to me.
[/quote]

At the risk of sounding rude... which really isn't my intention but it is still going to come across that way... welcome to the Internet, this is what happens when you download "Free" software.

Unless the software is being downloaded from some place like ohhh, SourceForge, people want to get paid Smile

SourceForge projects on the other hand are often labors of love... hmmm if only I could think of a SF project that fit that description.

Anyway, hope your system cleans up nice. Please understand that none of what you "added" to your install is a virus. Just garbage software.
(03-11-2014, 01:32 PM)scJazz link Wrote: Unless the software is being downloaded from some place like ohhh, SourceForge, people want to get paid Smile

I think like 6 months or so ago SF started a new "feature" that allows you to bundle greyware into your SF project's installer in order to make money. 

I googled and found their blgo post about it:
http://sourceforge.net/blog/today-we-off...-software/

(03-11-2014, 01:32 PM)scJazz link Wrote: [quote author=CarnageINC link=topic=30.msg10279#msg10279 date=1394552867]
[quote author=scJazz link=topic=30.msg10277#msg10277 date=1394552603]

[/quote]

At the risk of sounding rude... which really isn't my intention but it is still going to come across that way... welcome to the Internet, this is what happens when you download "Free" software.

Unless the software is being downloaded from some place like ohhh, SourceForge, people want to get paid Smile

SourceForge projects on the other hand are often labors of love... hmmm if only I could think of a SF project that fit that description.

Anyway, hope your system cleans up nice. Please understand that none of what you "added" to your install is a virus. Just garbage software.
[/quote]

Yeah...it sounds rude.  Thanks, no need to dumb down my mistake more with a dunce hat, I realize I was just stupid.  I detest 3rd party programs like that but I was in a hurry to play that's all.  Everything that software like that does can be done by yourself if you take the time to educate yourself on it.

I also realize that its not a virus but what you said, garbage software to force you to use their site.  I just wanted to caution others out there that portforward isn't exactly innocent for allowing garbage like this.  I also understand that nothing is truly 'free' out there when it comes to that kind of software.  User beware of what options your allowing to be installed.

I yes I believe my system was cleared up as well as I could, I tried to hunt down every trace of that garbage and squash it.
I've never tried Hamachi, but I've heard of friends using it to connect to each other. I don't know if it can connect more than 2, but it could be used to avoid port forwarding.

I've always done it the old fashion way without installing anything. Using my router/modem to open a port, giving them my outside ip address, playing the game and then closing it again. I usually use whatsmyip.org for this. It can also test your port.
(03-11-2014, 08:13 PM)Xenon54z link Wrote: I've never tried Hamachi, but I've heard of friends using it to connect to each other. I don't know if it can connect more than 2, but it could be used to avoid port forwarding.

I've always done it the old fashion way without installing anything. Using my router/modem to open a port, giving them my outside ip address, playing the game and then closing it again. I usually use whatsmyip.org for this. It can also test your port.

If you google for "what is my ip" the first result will be your IP, you don't have to visit any other pages (besides google).
(03-11-2014, 08:27 PM)Arlith link Wrote:If you google for "what is my ip" the first result will be your IP, you don't have to visit any other pages (besides google).

Clever, I've never noticed that before.

https://www.google.com/#q=what+is+my+ip&safe=off
Another thing to check is Windows firewall.  A friend and I could not connect a game even though we'd both port forwarded the correct port on our routers.  Even using Hamachi did not work.  We'd made sure that Megame.exe was an exception in Windows firewall.  Still no go.

It was not until we both shut down windows firewall that we could connect and play, and without Hamachi.
I have followed the instructions but people still can't connect to me. I've forwarded the port, disabled the firewall and nothing, people can't connect. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I run a minecraft server just fine, i tried using that port for megamek since i know it works (both with and without my firewall disabled) and still nothing.
With my router I have to unplug it and reset the thing after forwarding a port, if you havent already done so.
(12-10-2016, 11:27 PM)BLOODWOLF link Wrote: With my router I have to unplug it and reset the thing after forwarding a port, if you havent already done so.

I've already tried that and it didn't work. I even checked whatsmyip.org and used their port checker to confirm that the port is open. I can connect to other servers fine and other applications work fine for hosting things. Don't know why it doesn't work for megamek.
(12-10-2016, 11:43 PM)Jerome Ward link Wrote: [quote author=BLOODWOLF link=topic=30.msg17398#msg17398 date=1481426870]
With my router I have to unplug it and reset the thing after forwarding a port, if you havent already done so.

I've already tried that and it didn't work. I even checked whatsmyip.org and used their port checker to confirm that the port is open. I can connect to other servers fine and other applications work fine for hosting things. Don't know why it doesn't work for megamek.
[/quote]

Are you in Windows?  Did you disable windows firewall or just add an exception?  That sounds like what happens when it gets blocked by a firewall.  Unfortunately, I don't have much useful advice to give.
(12-11-2016, 07:58 PM)Arlith link Wrote: Are you in Windows?  Did you disable windows firewall or just add an exception?  That sounds like what happens when it gets blocked by a firewall.  Unfortunately, I don't have much useful advice to give.

I'm running windows 10, i tried both with an exception and with the firewall off. My friend couldn't connect either time, we ended up playing on someone else's server.
I'm also having problems with connecting to people and them connecting to me.
I've forwarded my ports, let it through my firewall, etc.
No luck yet, anyone have any ideas?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Bug READ ME FIRST!!! Hammer 0 236 06-30-2019, 11:51 AM
Last Post: Hammer
  Not letting my connect when i start game theskullking 3 902 09-24-2013, 09:54 AM
Last Post: theskullking
  Error, could not connect to server bento 1 1,029 03-05-2012, 12:09 PM
Last Post: ralgith
  Other cant connect Grosnounou 15 2,786 01-24-2012, 11:24 PM
Last Post: Xenon54z
  Can't Connect Online Sandstorm 2 1,950 02-23-2011, 05:45 PM
Last Post: Taharqa