Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Snow on "snowcapped mountains" is way too dark.
I assume this is a known issue, but it seems like a relatively easy one to fix:

See attachment for details.

This is repeatedly an issue when changing the mountain settings on the map generator to "snowcapped".

The issue seems to be the snow "theme" hex overlay (as see in the picture).  If I apply the regular "snow" modifier to an individual hex, the hex shows up white/bluish-white as would be expected (wish you could add a snow modifier to the map generator like you have with sand, rough, etc).

To solve this issue, it looks as though all that needs to be done is apply the correct colored snow images to the snow "theme".  I would do it myself if I knew how.

I know this is only a graphical glitch, but the grey snow is really ugly and distracts from immersion.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

You want it to look like this?
[Image: 5MlKNQ9.jpg]

What version of MM/HQ are you using?  I see in 0.3.30 this occurs as well, i can fix it.
Well......after creating a snow theme that the normal atmospheric tileset can use this is what you get....
[Image: 2c0j0VS.png]

Thats not much better.....just use my bw_atmospheric.tileset that's included in 0.41.20 Big Grin.
(07-18-2016, 08:10 PM)BLOODWOLF link Wrote: You want it to look like this?
[Image: 5MlKNQ9.jpg]

What version of MM/HQ are you using?  I see in 0.3.30 this occurs as well, i can fix it.
That looks great.  I'm using megamek that was packaged with MekHQ 0.3.30.  How did you do that?
Go into your client settings in MM, graphics tab, and my bw_atmospheric tileset is in there with the latest version of MM that is included in the 0.3.30 bundle Smile.  Also can change the skins (the davion border around the map) under the graphics tab as well.
(07-19-2016, 08:41 AM)BLOODWOLF link Wrote: Go into your client settings in MM, graphics tab, and my bw_atmospheric tileset is in there with the latest version of MM that is included in the 0.3.30 bundle Smile.  Also can change the skins (the davion border around the map) under the graphics tab as well.

got busy with work and forgot to check back here.  i did what you said and it looks GREAT!  thank you so much for fixing that.  now i can generate snow maps with ease! Big Grin
I've been working on the standard MM tilsets all this evening and MM is actually using the lunar theme for snow capped mountains which is why it is black.  Obviously it knows it should use snow because once I create a snow theme it uses the correct snow images but, when a snow theme does not exist it goes and uses the first theme listed in the StandardThemes (i know becuase i cut and pasted lunar to the bottom and it used mars textures for mountain tops).  The new StandardThemes.tileinc method does not work for the classic, simplified (same freaking thing why do we have this?), and large texture tilesets.  I have to delete the include StandardThemes.tileinc line from the tileset and revert to the old style of

#-------BEGIN snow theme

blah ba blah

#------END snow theme

so that things will be in the correct order and MM will use the tileset specific images over the themes in the StandardThemes.

So, Im trying to fix all this for example; I call for the snow_lf & hf images in the ThemeSnow but, for classic.tileset MM should use the snow_light_forest_0:2 lego-looking images for woods but will not if the include StandardThemes.tileinc line is at the beginning of the tileset which causes me to revert to the old style.
(07-27-2016, 12:02 AM)BLOODWOLF link Wrote: I've been working on the standard MM tilsets all this evening and MM is actually using the lunar theme for snow capped mountains which is why it is black.  Obviously it knows it should use snow because once I create a snow theme it uses the correct snow images but, when a snow theme does not exist it goes and uses the first theme listed in the StandardThemes (i know becuase i cut and pasted lunar to the bottom and it used mars textures for mountain tops).  The new StandardThemes.tileinc method does not work for the classic, simplified (same freaking thing why do we have this?), and large texture tilesets.  I have to delete the include StandardThemes.tileinc line from the tileset and revert to the old style of

#-------BEGIN snow theme

blah ba blah

#------END snow theme

so that things will be in the correct order and MM will use the tileset specific images over the themes in the StandardThemes.

So, Im trying to fix all this for example; I call for the snow_lf & hf images in the ThemeSnow but, for classic.tileset MM should use the snow_light_forest_0:2 lego-looking images for woods but will not if the include StandardThemes.tileinc line is at the beginning of the tileset which causes me to revert to the old style.
yeah, i noticed there were quite a few different tilesets.  i know everyone is busy putting out fires, but someone should make a point to clean up the tileset selection.  i noticed that some of the tiles sets (about half) actually crash the client when they are selected from the drop-down menu.

i appreciate your efforts, BW.  thanks.
If you notice Tilesets crashing the client, can you open a bug report on Github and post the logs from those games.  It will let us get them working and improve the overall experience for everyone.
Tilesets crashing the server should be resolved in the latest release.  I say this because I wrote a tool to test if the tileset links to any missing images, and with Bloodwolf's help we've got all of those fixed up.  I didn't actually test those tilesets though, although it can be difficult to test all the issues.

This may be an interesting question to ask on the CGL forums, Megamek subforum; what's the distribution of tilesets that get used?  The classic tileset represents a previous iteration of a tileset, I presume the one that was used before the current default "atmospheric."  Or, perhaps atmospheric was created to be used for the "atmospheric" (aka, high-altitude) map, and just moved into being the default tileset.  Simplified is a slight modification of the classic tileset.
Yeah in the notes for the simplified tileset it is the exact same as classic but without themes.......dont need.  If the player doesnt want themes then they wouldnt type anything in the theme box so IMO we dont need simplified.  But, even simplified still has lines in it for "snow" and all that so, its kinda of a contradiction.
Additionally, with some changes SJuliez made, you can now change the theme for the whole current board, so even if a board has some themes you don't like, you can  turn them off.