Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Infantry Sprites Project
My idea for default infantry:

[Image: Oip7qb6.png]

bw [Image: PmktLvc.gif] default [Image: 5IYZZq7.gif]
Erm... yours looked like urbie....
I think even if the default infantry where kept the same size and moved around to look more like a squad moving in formation.  Or as 2 fire teams.
[Image: 5IYZZq7.gif]

Those look like fighter jets.....
Made skaret_assassins.gif [Image: DzVOWQI.gif]

Off of this image [Image: Assassin.jpg]

But cannot make megamek use my image, have tried:

chassis "Skåret Assassins" "Infantry/skaret_assassins.gif"
chassis "Skaret Assassins" "Infantry/skaret_assassins.gif"
exact "Skåret Assassins  JàrnFòlk" "Infantry/skaret_assassins.gif"

And it continues to use the defaults/default_infantry.gif no matter what I do, im stumped.
Got it working, changed the special "a" character in the mechset, for the image file, for the blk file and also inside the blk file for the name and now MM uses the new image.  And am redoing it because am trying to get a feel for how to scale and draw infantry units.
Skaret Assassins [Image: gDJrgQg.gif] Maybe default infantry? [Image: mxEMsgM.gif]

[Image: XBrv9ww.png]
I like the difference in the formations.  We could use one for more irregular infantry and the other for more convention infantry.  But (yes always a but) they kinda look BA more than infantry.  I kinda wish our infantry was more like this.

[Image: US_BRL_squad.jpg]
I feel like the original icon looks more like the standing guy in Hammers image (that's always what I assumed the artist was going for).  Bloodwolf's default infantry icon kind of look like they are wearing shoulder pads for football.
Ok but is the skaret assassins icon fine?  Check one off the list?  I can re-make the default off that top left army guy that Hammer shared.  I tried taking just the upper body part of the infantry guys and rotating it 10 degree to get that look but, it just blurred the whole thing.
Yep I'll arrange to get it added. Personally I don't think we always need to show the guys standing, this isn't the 1800 with stand and deliver volley fire.

Disclaimer here, got no artistic skillz, but I think have a mix of standing and prone would be good.  The prone could be a good way to add some variety with weapons. 

I think we should capture a clear difference between squads and platoons.
(08-10-2016, 10:51 AM)Hammer link Wrote: Yep I'll arrange to get it added. Personally I don't think we always need to show the guys standing, this isn't the 1800 with stand and deliver volley fire.

Disclaimer here, got no artistic skillz, but I think have a mix of standing and prone would be good.  The prone could be a good way to add some variety with weapons. 

I think we should capture a clear difference between squads and platoons.

K, yeah I will work on making the guys standing, kneeling, and prone.  And squads and platoons for ever infantry unit or just the default?
We really just need a default squad and default platoon.  Plus any custom units from 3085 that are worth doing.

Might want to look at the motorized and mechanized platoons and see if there is any room from improvement.
Fitting a platoon of infantry into a 84x72 hex I do not believe is possible without representing a infantry guy as like a 4 pixel image I think and then that gets back to the "urbies".

[Image: LghDxqc.gif]
[Image: 50uUl4R.png]
I quite like this one... dunno about you guys, but I prefer them to be facing the same direction.
I really like to see the prone positions as well, but agree with SirMegaV that to help with showing orientation they should all face the same direction.

For platoon vs squad, I would try to shrink the image above by maybe 10-15% make a squad say 4 guys and a platoon 7-8.
(08-11-2016, 11:24 AM)BLOODWOLF link Wrote: Ok, yeah I just dont want work on things that others are already covering.  I vote Hammer for the honorary position of project dispatcher Big Grin starting assigning me some work Tongue

As I mentioned finish of the infantry (I'd also look to see if we could improve Motorized and Mechanized info) then my vote would be ASF then Warships.
I like the facing as is.  Note that there's another guy in the icon that's covered up by the label: he is also facing in the "facing" direction.  I like having the two guys on the sides covering the flanks, because it makes sense for infantry.
I agree ^ but, If I shrink them anymore your not going to be able to recognize them as infanty dudes.  Their heads right now are 2 pixel by 2 pixel squares, smaller and they become 1 pixel little block heads and stick figure people.........but ok ill try it when i get home.
If the dang labels would get out of the way.....

[Image: k8otw0E.gif][Image: 0xeAfUU.gif]
[Image: rpfIlxd.png]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Vehicle Sprites Scintilla 70 10,987 08-13-2015, 05:06 AM
Last Post: RedDevil
  Rampage RMP- (Deadborder Project Edit) TigerShark 0 729 02-23-2015, 05:49 AM
Last Post: TigerShark
  Current SVN Builds of all 3 Project trunks MM r9545, MML r1192, MHQ r1448 ralgith 19 5,671 06-16-2013, 12:12 AM
Last Post: ralgith
  Want to make contribution to this project ayashi33 5 3,103 05-28-2011, 04:06 PM
Last Post: DarkISI