Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MeqHQ multiplayer (coop) campaign AtB
Hi,
Some friends and I are trying to get an AtB campaign rolling using MegaMek and MeqHQ. We're struggling with a few things although we've managed to get through a couple battles now. We have a number of questions.

Our process has been for one person to run MekHQ, and then within that we each have our own mechwarriors and mechs. I'm currently using screen sharing software to try and collaborate on the MekHQ stuff. Then when a battle comes up we launch MegaMek from MekHQ, the other players join, we form a team, and I assign 'their' mechs to them, and we run the battle against the bot.

At the end, we've noticed we seem to have to use /victory and /defeat commands to end the fight. As the victory conditions do not seem to generally be tracked. We're a little hazy on precisely what we need to do to end the game:

Q1: Does just one player need to declare victory; the bot appears to automatically /defeat. Do the other players on my team also need to /defeat OR should the /victory apply to the whole team?? We think last time we had to have one person do /victory, and then the other players all do /defeat despite being on the same team. Is that right? Just looking for clarification.

Q2: We noticed during the first battle the handoff back to MekHQ, the mechs and pilots I'd assigned to the other players didn't automatically return (they were all marked KIA/lost etc) and had to be manually adjusted. The 2nd time we tried /traitor to return the units to 'me' just before we ended the game, and then they came back into MekHQ much more cleanly and this seemed to generally work.

Q3: Is this the best way of doing what we are trying to do? Or is there a better way?

Q4: Both battles so far we also used the launch MegaMek from MekHQ directly; and then it handed back to MekHQ. Worked like a charm. What do we need to know and do if the battle isn't going to be completed in one session?

Also a couple MegaMek specific questions:

Q5: Initiative. By dividing the force between multiple players in MegaMek, we've found that initiative is a bit broken. We'd ideally want to see our whole team treated as a group so we can leave the Archer standing still at the back as our first move, and have the wasp upfront go as late as possible to get into a better position. We are using individual initiative now, as at least that at least is "fair". But searching the forums here it sounded like someone else ran into the same question:

http://megamek.info/forums/index.php?topic=625.0

And it looks like some code was even written to support it in 2012. What is the status of this code / feature? Did it ever make it into MegaMek?

Q6: Team Movement blocking. We only ran into this once so far and it wasn't one of my mechs so I didn't see it first hand, but it appeared that mechs from different players on the same team could not move through each other? The rules say that 'friendly' units can be moved through. Did we miss an option somewhere that needs to be set?

Thanks!

When the other players connect to your game are you setting everybody to team #1 and the opfor as team#2?  Friendlies you can move through normally so, that issue makes me think you've got everybody on different teams.  And if everyone is on the same team then /victory should work for the whole team. 
(10-24-2016, 04:40 PM)984 link Wrote: Q5: Initiative. By dividing the force between multiple players in MegaMek, we've found that initiative is a bit broken. We'd ideally want to see our whole team treated as a group so we can leave the Archer standing still at the back as our first move, and have the wasp upfront go as late as possible to get into a better position. We are using individual initiative now, as at least that at least is "fair". But searching the forums here it sounded like someone else ran into the same question:

http://megamek.info/forums/index.php?topic=625.0

And it looks like some code was even written to support it in 2012. What is the status of this code / feature? Did it ever make it into MegaMek?

Q6: Team Movement blocking. We only ran into this once so far and it wasn't one of my mechs so I didn't see it first hand, but it appeared that mechs from different players on the same team could not move through each other? The rules say that 'friendly' units can be moved through. Did we miss an option somewhere that needs to be set?

It kind of seems to me like people are getting put on the same team.  What team are you using?  Anyways, that initiative forwarding post you referenced... It happened before I joined the team, but I'm pretty sure that it got committed because I have seen code related to initiative forwarding, and it seemed to me to be doing what you want (I believe there's a "next player" button that allows you to forward your turn to the next player on your team).  But again, this would only work if you had the teams properly setup.
I'll be sure to look more closely at the team setup screen next time and see if we missed something there. I'll also look for the initiative forwarding button.

Thanks!

Sorry to dig up the this old post, but does the /traitor in atb automatically assign said units to the next human player if you play coop.
I think you have to give it an entity ID and a player ID

so "/traitor 1 2" will switch the entity with the ID 1 to the player with the ID 2 at the end of the turn

EDIT:
Additional information from another Dev.

You use the /who command first to get the player IDs, /listEntities (I think) to get the entity IDs, which gets painful to review if you fight big battles (edited)
We put the Traitor command in the UI menu a while back too, and that gives you the friendly player names

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Co-op multiplayer AtB campaign? Wolf21 5 628 09-01-2016, 01:34 PM
Last Post: kipstafoo
  Multiplayer campaign Blackthorne 4 1,039 02-28-2016, 10:14 AM
Last Post: scJazz
  MekHQ multiplayer Xenowolf 1 610 12-26-2014, 11:17 AM
Last Post: Xenon54z