Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Battle Resolution with Dropships
Been doing a AtB campaign and finally after 5 in game years I finally have a dropship.

I had a Union dropship doing a landed deployment.  It some armor damage (about 40 some odd points spread all over).  I ended up completely clearing the whole board of opposing mechs.

During the resolution it was showing as a total loss during Unit Status.  I was like err?  It was normal for the Ally dropships from earlier battles.  I was thinking they were like the ally attached mechs.  If you deselect total loss the mech goes in your hangar which you don't want to do.  So I deselected it to keep it.

However, I did a test... The dropship will not be a loss if you control the battlefield.  It will be a loss if you don't control the battlefield even though it is not damaged.  It is only dependent on who controls the field and if it is landed or not.  It doesn't take in effect if the scenario was a victory or defeat.

Is this by design?  This really is only an issue in Recon Raids.  The other scenarios this isn't an issue. SU (Attack/Defend), HTL (attack) the winner always controls the field.  BRK (Defend) you're the defender and always controls the field at the end.  The only one that never happens is Recon Raid (attack) the defender ALWAYS controls the field regardless if you win or lose. 

Should I just hand wave it and deselect the total loss in unit status?  Or should I spend more time to attempt a lift off w/ the dropship.

I would hand wave it if it was a situation where you win the scenario but the scenario has you lose control of the battlefield either way.  Losing control of the battlefield is supposed to mean you can't salvage anything left on the battlefield.  something that could leave on its own power shouldn't be effected.  However I think the reason it is considered a loss is because in a normal fight if you lose the fight the Dropship is captured before it could take off.  It's supposed to be a risk/reward thing. 
I'm more inclined to say it probably isn't working as intended. We've made big improvements with MHQ and resolution but I'm not sure every possibility has really been considered. Especially with things like Dropships that don't get used much.

Pretty sure since you don't control the field it looks to see if certain units have movement or not. Dropships technically do not when they're on the ground and MHQ likely doesn't have a way right not now to see if their engines are functional to allow the DS to take off, so it sees 0/0 movement and calls it a loss.

I would say just use judgement in determining if it could get away.
(11-15-2016, 10:02 AM)Jayof9s link Wrote: Pretty sure since you don't control the field it looks to see if certain units have movement or not. Dropships technically do not when they're on the ground and MHQ likely doesn't have a way right not to see if their engines are functional to allow the DS to take off, so it sees 0/0 movement and calls it a loss.

Correct statement.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Contract resolution Kendo 2 316 07-15-2019, 08:47 PM
Last Post: Hammer
  Question about contract resolution in AtB Lord Letto 0 194 06-22-2018, 05:27 PM
Last Post: Lord Letto
  warship and dropships distrubution warhammer74 3 827 06-02-2014, 06:05 PM
Last Post: neilfw
  Reloading Ammo on Dropships NotoriousDAVE 4 789 03-05-2014, 08:36 PM
Last Post: Xenon54z
  Battle information not transferring to mekhq after the battle saracen 14 2,958 02-15-2012, 09:33 PM
Last Post: saracen
  Resolution of one scenario causes all mechs to become undeployed in hangar ralgith 1 674 01-07-2012, 04:28 AM
Last Post: Taharqa