Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Artillery From Airborne Aerospace
Yet another question for the experts: is it possible to fire artillery other than Arrow IV's from aerospace/conv fighters? Several canonical BT units use them (as either battlefield support or anti-dropship weapons), but I cannot seem to make it work in MegaMek, as it simply states that aero cannot fire non-Arrow IV artillery in either the artillery or direct fire phase.

Is there any way around this? This is for a custom campaign, by the way, so I can modify game files and hand them out to my players, if that is what is required.

Thanks!
So, I take it from the lack of response that either, 1) it was a dumb question with a self-evident answer, 2) no one knows, or 3) the people who do know are busy.

I would appreciate some enlightenment on the issue, if anyone is able.
https://github.com/MegaMek/megamek/issues/205
Theres a bug report/question about this on github already and it's just kind of stalled.
That ticket is more about dropships than ASF.  I think it's mostly a combination of 2 and 3... I don't know the answer without looking it up, and I haven't had time to look it up, so I was figured someone who did know the answer would speak up, but I guess not so far.
That's fair. I don't intend to keep the devs busy with trivial things, I was just hoping someone knew how it was handled off the top of their heads.
Check bottom right corner of p180 in TacOps and top of p284 of TacOps for relevant rules.
Aerospace units can only fire artillery if landed or if firing Arrow IV.

You may need to turn on the "Ground Dropships Use Individual Weapons" option in megamek for it to allow you to fire the artillery while grounded.
While I understand the rules, my question was if there is some way to get around this rule in MegaMek for a custom campaign, either through settings or alteration of game files.

Specifically, I want my campaign to allow direct-fire artillery from aero units, if possible.
MegaMek will always try to follow the rules of Table Top as closely as possible.  That said there are actually no canon ASF or Conv Fighter units in MM that use any of the Thumper/Sniper/Long Tom Artillery peices.

Their are however two fighters (Jengiz F and Transit TR-13G) that are using the Cannon version of those weapons.  Which should meet your direct-fire requirements for an artillery scale weapon.

(01-27-2017, 06:39 AM)Corusare link Wrote: While I understand the rules, my question was if there is some way to get around this rule in MegaMek for a custom campaign, either through settings or alteration of game files.

I must have missed that aspect of your original question.  In this case, it would require editing source code.  Probably in WeaponAttackAction.toHit, or WeaponAttackAction.toHitImpossible.
Thank you, Hammer! I was not aware of the Cannon version of the artillery pieces, and that is in fact exactly what I was looking for! It seems the answer was, in fact, self-evident.
I am fairly sure ASF can carry arrow IV ordinance as bombs.  Maybe it requires someone to tag a target before firing the missile..  It may require the arrow to be fired that way and disallow traditional arty deployment. Besides if you wanted an array blast with an ASF you would just carry HE bombs.