Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MFBs and ATB, also assorted sundries
Being more or less new to MegaMek and MekHQ, I was wondering:
Is there any benefit to having MFBs/MASH units?
What do Dropships and Jumpships do?
Why are Infantry so damn powerful against vehicles?
Is there a way to access ATB scenario generation or edit Opfor units outside of MM?
How can I add custom 'Mechs to a RAT table?

Any help would be fantastic!
(02-03-2017, 11:28 PM)GraalOtonami link Wrote: Is there any benefit to having MFBs/MASH units?
Going from memory those units are available to add depth to a unit, but currently don't do anything in game.

(02-03-2017, 11:28 PM)GraalOtonami link Wrote: What do Dropships and Jumpships do?
Simply Dropships move units between surface of the planet and space.
Jumpships move dropships between the stars.

(02-03-2017, 11:28 PM)GraalOtonami link Wrote: Why are Infantry so damn powerful against vehicles?
Its the nature of the universe that vehicles are weaker. So its not so much that infantry is more powerful but vee's a more like a glass cannon, can hit hard but not stake hits.

(02-03-2017, 11:28 PM)GraalOtonami link Wrote: Is there a way to access ATB scenario generation or edit Opfor units outside of MM?
Not at this time. Unless you can code Java.

(02-03-2017, 11:28 PM)GraalOtonami link Wrote: How can I add custom 'Mechs to a RAT table?
You can your own RATs. Have a look in the Data-Rats folder and you'll find examples.  There is also an EXAMPLE RAT FILE.txt in the docs folder.

Looking at some of the questions, I'm wondering if your new to the BattleTech Universe? If you are I'd suggest have a look here:

http://bg.battletech.com/new-to-the-board-game/

MegaMek and MekHQ are digital versions of the TableTop game.  Thats the official site for BattleTech and we have a sub-forum there that is much busier than here.

Lastly a good resource to look up units is
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Main_Page

and

http://www.masterunitlist.info/
I also find infantry good against vehicles; in particular, they do well against VTOL's. I believe it has something to do with not having a self movement modifier, and their damage it grouped into chunks instead of assigned in one large single group which promotes critical hits more often then not. And if you play like I play, infantry hardly ever operate alone. 8)
Actually its because infantry damage is in 2pt hits. Getting hit by a platoon of infantry is about as deadly as getting hit by an SRM Carrier. It can be scary seeing up to 14 2pt hits with each one getting its own chance to crit.
Is the AI any better at using Infantry?
The AI has no idea how to use infantry.
(02-04-2017, 11:54 AM)Hammer link Wrote: Looking at some of the questions, I'm wondering if your new to the BattleTech Universe?

Not so much the universe as I am with the tabletop rules.
Having played a little more, I'm coming to grips with using my 'Mech lances and vehicles to augment each other though.
That being said, Jump Infantry is OP in recon raid (attack).
Considering how easy it is to kill a platoon of infantry they aren't really OP. Just stay out of their range (usually 0-3 hexes) and shoot them with cluster weapons. Or artillery. In the woods? Start a forest fire. They BBQ pretty quick that way.
Machine guns also make short work of infantry even when they are in cover. I think Flamers get a bonus as well.  Some mechs are just specifically designed to take out infantry.
(02-16-2017, 12:48 AM)pheonixstorm link Wrote: Considering how easy it is to kill a platoon of infantry they aren't really OP. Just stay out of their range (usually 0-3 hexes) and shoot them with cluster weapons. Or artillery. In the woods? Start a forest fire. They BBQ pretty quick that way.
(02-16-2017, 05:46 AM)ThomasMarik link Wrote: Machine guns also make short work of infantry even when they are in cover. I think Flamers get a bonus as well.  Some mechs are just specifically designed to take out infantry.
It's more that it's easy to keep them out of view and get them to the edge and back without them ever being seen.