Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gundam 0079 Units in MegaMek
I made a bunch of Gundam Mecha in Mek Labs.  I'm a noob when it comes to MegaMek, so these are probably not optimized well.  These are my first mechs, and I tried to approximate the weaponry the mechs fight with.  Currently, I have the basic Zaku II, Gundam RX 78 - 2, and the Guncannon RX-77 - 2.  Their weights are approximated to their full armaments.  I have planned the Guntank, Gouf, and the Dom.

The Guncannon  is a superheavy mech with two shoulder mounted Arrow IVs and a large laser (optional).  It is much slower than the Gundam.  I'm considering a variant that has Long Toms instead, but that'll take some finagling.  I already optimized it very much when I

The Gundam is a heavy mech with a large laser, a sword, and a shield.  It also has Triple Strength Monomer.  It is the lightest of all the mechs. 

Both Federation mechs are built using very advanced technology for the time they are deployed.  They are equipped with Endo Steel frames, as they are known to be built with lightweight Luna Titanium Alloy. 

The Zaku II is an economy mech that was drafted using an industrial structure model to keep costs down.  It has an AC-20.  It is very inferior to the federation mechs, but one Gundam costs three Zakus. 

Any comments and criticism is welcome.  I am not so familiar with the Battletech universe yet. 

Oh yeah, I'm not very familiar with copy right stuff, so if I have to rename the units and use different photos, feel free to tell me. 

Finally, I might make Mobile Suits from other series, but I'm only familiar with the Universal Century timeline. 
I traded some ammo from the Zaku to give it a jump of 3.  I've found that in the one battle I've played with the AI that the Gundam has a very large advantage over the Zakus.  It seems that they run right up against you while firing as many of their guns as possible.  Either way, I can beat them by doing a spin jump, and firing into their backs. 

I like the balance so far, one Gundam can beat several Zakus through good piloting. 

One thing I am confused with is how melee combat works in MegaMek.  I tried charging a Zaku, but it dealt damage to me, not the Zaku, and I lost that battle. 

Still have yet to test the Guncannon.  I'm also working on the Gouf.  I'm unsure of whether I'll add the finger cannons or not, but the current iteration has an AC20 and chain whip as armament.  If I do, they'll probably be AC5s or lower. 
(03-09-2017, 12:17 AM)Alomoes link Wrote: One thing I am confused with is how melee combat works in MegaMek.  I tried charging a Zaku, but it dealt damage to me, not the Zaku, and I lost that battle. 

Still have yet to test the Guncannon.  I'm also working on the Gouf.  I'm unsure of whether I'll add the finger cannons or not, but the current iteration has an AC20 and chain whip as armament.  If I do, they'll probably be AC5s or lower.
Charging does damage to both mechs, about what you'd expect with newtonian physics (every action has an equal and opposite reaction). One benefit of charging is that you can shove an enemy off a cliff or into water.
(03-09-2017, 12:17 AM)Alomoes link Wrote: I've found that in the one battle I've played with the AI that the Gundam has a very large advantage over the Zakus.  It seems that they run right up against you while firing as many of their guns as possible.

You can tune the AI's behaviour by shifting the sliders (if you're using Princess as the AI) - or by selecting one of the default pre-programmed behaviour types. If you want more than one behaviour, you need to add several Princesses to the same Team, and then assign the relevant mechs to the relevant Princess setting.

(03-09-2017, 12:17 AM)Alomoes link Wrote: Either way, I can beat them by doing a spin jump, and firing into their backs. 

Yep, the classic 'backstabber' tactic - always popular!

(03-09-2017, 12:17 AM)Alomoes link Wrote: One thing I am confused with is how melee combat works in MegaMek.  I tried charging a Zaku, but it dealt damage to me, not the Zaku, and I lost that battle. 

The charge is basically  a shoulder-barge or push. Death-from-above (DFA) is jumping to land on your target - tends to seriously damage your legs, but can crush their cockpit. Both charging and DFA are movement attacks. Standard melee attacks take place after the firing phase (as you've probably spotted by now) - punches with arms that haven't fired weapons, or kicks. Kicks do more damage, but can usually only attack legs (unless you're a level above the target).

I'd recommend picking up a copy of Total Warfare if you've not got it yet - it's the base Battletech rules, which MegaMek replicates, and explains a lot of stuff that MM handles behind the scenes.
Ok cool, it will be on my list of things I want.  I made the Gouf, but it is not final.  I wanted to make it just slightly weaker than the Gundam. 

The Gundam is still faster. 

It shares a similar armament as the Zaku II, but it also uses a chain whip. 

The main advantage it has is its armor and speed.  It uses a standard frame, so it is much improved in comparison to the Zaku II.  It is very costly though.  One Gouf costs three Zakus, and the Gundam is also cheaper.  This makes sense though as the Gouf was replaced soon into the war by the Dom. 

I also took the time to create the Dom.  Special thing about the Dom is that it has a rocket launcher, and doesn't really move by walking, instead by gliding or hovering.  It is very fast for being a heavier mech, and at top speed, it is faster than Gundam.   

Note, for some reason the armor was capped at 6 tons, but changing the Tonnage to 80 then to 82 fixed it.  I assume that is a bug. 

It is also cheaper than both the Gundam and the Gouf.  The armor is also better on the Dom, which makes sense given that it is a heavier Mobile Suit. 

Latter I'm going to compile all of my Gundam Mobile Suits into one file. 

Edit: My file seems to have bugged out.  I'm going to remake the Dom, because the file won't open. 

Edit 2: I'm getting an error where the Dom validates correctly, but when I open it up again, it says something about armor not being right.  It seems to have to do with the off tonnage.  Up to this point, everything has been a multiple of 5.  The Dom is 82 tons, and this seems to produce an error. 

Edit 3: Setting the Dom to 80 tons fixed the problem. 

Final Edit:  It seems the mobile suits are not as fast as in cannon.  I'm pretty sure that they also use a reactor that is above 500 rating. 
(03-10-2017, 04:00 PM)Alomoes link Wrote: Final Edit:  It seems the mobile suits are not as fast as in cannon.  I'm pretty sure that they also use a reactor that is above 500 rating.
Concerning Canon, I'd not worry too much. The pilots in the Canon wouldn't be able to withstand the G-Force without imploding anyway. Battletech is a LITTLE more grounded in reality.
Well, on the wiki, it says the acceleration isn't that bad, the max acceleration is .93 gs in the Gundam RX-78-2.  A human can easily survive that.  The max gs for a human depends on the time exposed, but I'll say the max is 10gs. 

To see it in terms of mph, we'll say that g = 9.8m/s^2; 0.93*9.8 = 9.114. I calculated an acceleration of 20.34 mph/s.  That's 0 to 60 in 2.93 seconds.  That is VERY good, but not the best IRL.  Also, I'm not sure if this is on land or in space.  I assume on land, because it also gives a maximum speed, which doesn't really apply in space, unless you consider the maximum speed reached before running out of fuel or running out of enough fuel to decelerate.  That is very likely MUCH higher than 165 km/h.  I'm also assuming the writers knew physics, which they probably didn't. 

I will say that the force required to accelerate something this big that quickly should be astronomical.  The fluff excuse is a light and compact fusion engine.  I don't know enough about engine efficiency and energy yet to say anything, sadly. 

Anyways, I did the Guntank, which is probably the most cost effective mech yet.  I gave it two improved heavy gauss rifles, and made it have tracks on its legs.  Like with the Gouf, I didn't add the hand cannons, as they didn't fit. 

I'm also going to make a variant of the Guntank that has dual cockpits.  That's how it originally started, but then it was retooled to require only one person. 

Final note, the AI does not want to play with the Doms.  I assume it is because of the missile launchers, but I need to do more testing.  I wanted to do three Doms vs Guncannon and Gundam, but it didn't work.    :-\

Edit: Got Battletech Total Warfare as recommended.  Reading it now. 
BattleTech physics is more art than science.

It is also more like a patchwork or quilt, than an integrated system, meaning that standardization in more of an exception, than a rule. Like a set of power tools. We say, "Skill Saw", but it's actually a circular saw, "Skil" is a brand/model name. Same with "Sawzall". It's a reciprocating saw. Etc.

Not only is BT 'hand-wavey' about physics, some gear is also named somewhat misleadingly...
Yeah, I noticed.  Oh yeah, I'm doing a campaign for these mechs here
Hi!! I'm actually interested in your campagn and designs. I can't seem to download the mtf files. The sight keeps sayings that the files are no longer there.
(04-12-2017, 07:58 PM)Imperator Wrote: Hi!! I'm actually interested in your campagn and designs. I can't seem to download the mtf files. The sight keeps sayings that the files are no longer there.

That's because his link refers to the old forums. He'll need to update the link.
thank you for the quick reply!!!
There a chance you could kindly put all your files in a nice .rar or .zip archive? Would be a touch easier to grab all the files if that were the case.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Units With No Icons -- A Comprehensive List generated from MegaMek Hammer 0 718 01-23-2016, 03:52 PM
Last Post: Hammer
  Megamek Gundam mod Snyker 4 1,375 04-27-2015, 02:30 AM
Last Post: grimlock