Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Creating a custom book: "Mercenaries Supplemental: Fan"
As stated in the title, creating a custom book of mercenary unit briefs. I've currently got 5 units for it.

Does anyone want to contribute their unit?

I'll also be looking for votes on the cover image (I've 15 to choose from) at some point (need an operational website for them to be hosted on... working on that atm) with each person saything their 1st and 2nd choices. First choice counts as 2 votes and 2nd choice counts as 1 vote.

Mostly though I'm looking for others to contribute their unit data. Names and mini-bios of important characters, unit TO&E summary/breakdown, history, that sort of thing. I'm making the pages following the layout of FM: Mercs & the Canon Mercs: Supp books. Yes, unit logos are accepted as well Wink

Oh, and I need the YEAR the mercenary unit is "currently" in as of the writing, I'll be adding the year in parenthesis after the unit's name so that the book can span multiple eras

I don't have a permanent link yet (need to setup a dyndns.org account so I can account for my dynamic IP) but you can view the book (whatever my latest PDF export of it is) here (until my dynamic IP renews):
<link temporarily removed while I revamp my site>

And the possible covers here:

NOTE: None of the artwork is mine. Its stuff I've found online. So I'll need permission from the artists when I finally get a cover chosen (temporarily using cover 12)

(I did ask DarkISI if I could post this here, he said it should be fine but if Taharqa or Beerockxs thinks otherwise feel free to delete Wink )

EDIT: Updated with permanent links
EDIT: I've changed the format of the filename, so new link... this one will let you choose the exact file on your own Smile
EDIT: Links temporarily removed, I'm doing a total revamp of my site.
I updated the first post with perma-links, however currently the server is misconfigured for several mime types. I'll be fixing that tomorrow. I'm too tired tonight.

Please be patience Smile
Updated with links that work until I get the issue with the domain name fixed, since it was actually an issue with my domain name provider's PROXY records barfing on URLs with spaces, NOT with my server. Sorry about that guys :/

I also moved everything BattleTech related to its own folder and turned on index views... you can view all my current BTech works at:

Including my AU Clan Wolverine Wink

Look for RS: Mercenaries Fan & TRO: Mercenaries Fan coming soon Smile
This is an actual Mercenary Command that I ran with for about a year. I made journal entries after every major engagement. I can post the whole thing if you want.

At their best they were a little bigger than a Company.
Their era to shine was 3025-3028. In my game they eventually retired after Arnold ended up marrying the duchess of Timbiqui. Their son, Anthony went on to become a hero during the clan invasion.

Use as much or as little of this was you want.

-------

Edit: After having looked at how much that was going to take, I decided to just try an upload the TO&E along with the journal as one piece if it isn't too big.
This is the journal. This is the TO&E as of 3031, the year they retired.

Attached Files
.odt   Black Gryphon Company.odt (Size: 59.18 KB / Downloads: 3)
(09-16-2011, 11:19 PM)Madcow9000 link Wrote: This is the journal. This is the TO&E as of 3031, the year they retired.

Awesome, how do you want to be credited?
Also, do you have a unit logo for them, or want to make one/have someone make one?
Tongue Credit me by my name, Brandon Bell.

And their logo was a heraldic griffon (the mythical creature, not the mech) tearing an old style Rifleman limb from limb.
(09-17-2011, 12:29 AM)Madcow9000 link Wrote: Tongue Credit me by my name, Brandon Bell.

Roger, Wilco Wink

Quote:And their logo was a heraldic griffon (the mythical creature, not the mech) tearing an old style Rifleman limb from limb.

If you have it as an image, or can get it made, I can include it in the book like I've done for the "Red Wings"...
Don't worry if you don't/can't since I don't have them for most of my units either Smile
(09-17-2011, 12:29 AM)Madcow9000 link Wrote: And their logo was a heraldic griffon (the mythical creature, not the mech) tearing an old style Rifleman limb from limb.

Awesome. ^_^
(09-17-2011, 01:37 AM)ralgith link Wrote: If you have it as an image, or can get it made, I can include it in the book like I've done for the "Red Wings"...
Don't worry if you don't/can't since I don't have them for most of my units either Smile

Yes we do have an image but unfortunately it's been lost to the winds. It was awesome though. I had a friend of mine who's into artsy stuff draw it up. It came out looking amazing.
(09-17-2011, 09:50 PM)Madcow9000 link Wrote: [quote author=ralgith link=topic=289.msg1414#msg1414 date=1316237858]

If you have it as an image, or can get it made, I can include it in the book like I've done for the "Red Wings"...

Yes we do have an image but unfortunately it's been lost to the winds. It was awesome though. I had a friend of mine who's into artsy stuff draw it up. It came out looking amazing.
[/quote]

If you find it anywhere let me know. Even if you have to snail mail it to me so I can scan it Wink
I'm adding the Gryphons unit to the book right now. However I have a quick question Wink

I'm assuming that the top part of the file where you list all your mechs and personnel, on the "mech" chart if there is no mech listed then that pilot is currently dispossed. Is this correct?
Also, your chart seems to be off compared to what is in your "logs"

Your chart has the mechs still all spread weirdly in the lances, but the log near the end says:
Quote:With so many heavy and assault mechs within the BGC, the Colonel decided to do a complete restructuring of the lances, placeing the appropriate machine with the appropriate lance. This turned Gryphon lance into a heavy assault lance, while Carbunkle lance was a medium fire lance, and the final lance as a quick response light lance.

So I'm going to take creative license and "fix" it to match your log.

EDIT: This is what I ended up with after the restructuring, let me know what you want changed if anything.
Quote:Black Gryphon's TO&E

Black Gryphon Company (Mechs)
Gryphon Lance G/P
AS7-D Atlas Colonel Arnold Gryphon 1/1
MAD-4A Marauder II Gerasim Alexeevsky 1/4
Dispossessed Kennedy Caunce 1/1
MAD-4A Marauder II Captain Abraham Carbunkle 1/1

Carbunkle Lance G/P
ENF-4R Enforcer Lt. Colonel David Gryphon 1/2
CN9-A Centurion Hang Fu-Shu 2/3
CDA-2A Cicada Jiri Theofilopolous 2/3
CPLT-C1 Phil Kearny 2/3

Ullman Lance G/P
VLK-QA Valkyrie Lt. Gustav Ullman 2/3
Dispossessed Chris Hawk 2/3
Dispossessed Nesrin Selaniki 1/2
Dispossessed Ruslan Feindell 3/4
Yeah, that's fine by me. I didn't put in the last entry before they retired. They ended up getting a contract from Timbiqui to defend the planet from a Marik raid that kicked the crap out of the unit. I updated the TO&E but left out the journal entry. What you have looks good. It might be important to note that Gryphon ended up marrying the duchess of Timbiqui and the members of the mercenaries stayed on as part of the royal guard while those without mechs had their replaced but we never specified what they were.
I've got several merc units I could submit for this - some have varying degrees of fluff but I have at least 2 units that each have 30+ missions under their belts, as well as a 3rd unit with more fluff/background than I've made use of. All 3 are different time periods too (3025, 3052, 3070). I have 3-4 other units I could submit but they don't have the same level of history (as far as fluff is concerned or as far as use is concerned).

One of the units happens to be a full regiment so I assume you don't want the full TO&E for that. But let me see what I can condense and pull together in general. Depending how ambitious I get I may even finally make a unit insignia for each.
(09-18-2011, 12:37 AM)Jayof9s link Wrote: I've got several merc units I could submit for this - some have varying degrees of fluff but I have at least 2 units that each have 30+ missions under their belts, as well as a 3rd unit with more fluff/background than I've made use of. All 3 are different time periods too (3025, 3052, 3070). I have 3-4 other units I could submit but they don't have the same level of history (as far as fluff is concerned or as far as use is concerned).

One of the units happens to be a full regiment so I assume you don't want the full TO&E for that. But let me see what I can condense and pull together in general. Depending how ambitious I get I may even finally make a unit insignia for each.

Write up whatever you want included Wink
And if you feel ambitious include the full TO&Es, even for the regiment.

I look at the "low fluff" units as ones that aren't well enough known to warrant more detailed unit briefs.
New version up... 0.3 Preview Smile
I've included the Black Gryphons, though it is still subject to editing since I have open questions about it.

I still have a couple of my units to add to it, and hopefully Jayof9s will come through with a few as well. I'd like a little more length to the book Smile
I've been typing up about my Wild Nines for a while this morning and just realized I've filled 5 pages with history / unit bio / personnel bio and I'm only 1/3 through the personnel  bios (and that is just the key personnel). Edit: looking through, I'll probably clean it up a bit and format it more like what you currently have. It'll still be long but I think not *as* long.

I should have started with Winters' Iron Stormers. They're much smaller and I don't have the same history with the Stormers, I've run nearly 80 missions using various elements from the Wild Nines regiment, so I became rather attached to a lot of those pilots. While I created the Stormers to run through their worst contract ever.
(09-18-2011, 03:05 PM)Jayof9s link Wrote: I've been typing up about my Wild Nines for a while this morning and just realized I've filled 5 pages with history / unit bio / personnel bio and I'm only 1/3 through the personnel  bios (and that is just the key personnel). Edit: looking through, I'll probably clean it up a bit and format it more like what you currently have. It'll still be long but I think not *as* long.

I should have started with Winters' Iron Stormers. They're much smaller and I don't have the same history with the Stormers, I've run nearly 80 missions using various elements from the Wild Nines regiment, so I became rather attached to a lot of those pilots. While I created the Stormers to run through their worst contract ever.

Yeah, try and give me the small ones first. I plan on putting large units (Multi-Battalion, Regiment, RCT, Divisions, Brigades and such) all towards the back of the book. Or maybe I should alphabetize them? Blech, I don't know fore sure yet. I'm still trying to find my notepad that has everything about "The Green Manalishi" (Yes, I'm a metalhead... and I love Judas Priest) and "The Metal Militia" (did I mention I'm a Metal Head?) so I can write them up in the book. Also missing still is "Shrike's Heavy Talons". Which is a Mercenary Unit formed by a Scion of the Shrike family; who in turn own Shrike Heavy Industries. And then theres the Merc unit I played with that was actually a "wet navy" unit. Sadly, for that unit, almost every single "ship" we fielded had to be custom made too since there are so few wet navy ships in 3053 :| I didn't create the wet navy one either, but I have most of the records from it since I ended up keeping copies of everything so I could play for anyone who didn't show up.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Creating a Linux Menu Object ralgith 7 1,963 08-27-2011, 08:39 AM
Last Post: ralgith