Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Being a pest again...
This is something that has always bothered me with the "official" way of doing things. Ammunition tracking for SRM and LRM ammo types.

Why are we tracking it like this:
LRM 20 Ammo: 11 Shots (11 * 20 = 220 total missiles)
LRM 10 Ammo: 27 Shots (27 * 10 = 270 total missiles)
== 490 Missiles

Instead of like this:
LRM Missiles: 490

???

I mean c'mon, the missiles are exactly the same; its only the number of tubes in the launcher that are different. And the math to make it work is simple.
Well if Joe shoots 120 missiles and Sally shoots 300 missles, and each have and LRM-10 and LRM-15 on their mechs, and Sally shot 30 more missles with her LRM-15 than her LRM-10 and Joe shot 60 more missles.......

MAN, I feel like I am back in Algebra II again!
The reason, might be that "either way you do it, somebody else would want it done the other way." (Grass greener sort of thing.)

But I don't really know. Wink
I'd guess it's done that way due to how MM tracks ammo more than anything (but I couldn't say for sure)

When I was tracking things by hand (well by spreadsheet) I just had a single stockpile for all LRMs and SRMs. Of course SRMs are even more fun since 100 = 1 ton unless it's used for an SRM 6 launcher where it's 90 for 1 ton but since I tracked / missile that wasn't a big issue. I wouldn't mind it all being a single stockpile in the future for MekHQ but there are definitely more pressing features I'd prefer to see first.  Wink
(09-20-2011, 10:35 PM)Jayof9s link Wrote: I'd guess it's done that way due to how MM tracks ammo more than anything (but I couldn't say for sure)

No, it is because that's how the rules say it has to be tracked. For game as well as rearming and maintenance purposes.
(09-21-2011, 02:39 AM)DarkISI link Wrote: No, it is because that's how the rules say it has to be tracked. For game as well as rearming and maintenance purposes.

I must have missed that section of the sourcebook
(09-20-2011, 10:35 PM)Jayof9s link Wrote: When I was tracking things by hand (well by spreadsheet) I just had a single stockpile for all LRMs and SRMs. Of course SRMs are even more fun since 100 = 1 ton unless it's used for an SRM 6 launcher where it's 90 for 1 ton but since I tracked / missile that wasn't a big issue.

I just houseruled a ton of SRM to be 96 missiles, so it´d be an exact fit for all sizes (48/24/16 rounds, costing 25,920 per ton or 270 per missile). Nice round numbers are for sissies...  ;D
(09-21-2011, 08:58 AM)Sir Chaos link Wrote: [quote author=Jayof9s link=topic=296.msg1475#msg1475 date=1316572508]
When I was tracking things by hand (well by spreadsheet) I just had a single stockpile for all LRMs and SRMs. Of course SRMs are even more fun since 100 = 1 ton unless it's used for an SRM 6 launcher where it's 90 for 1 ton but since I tracked / missile that wasn't a big issue.

I just houseruled a ton of SRM to be 96 missiles, so it´d be an exact fit for all sizes (48/24/16 rounds, costing 25,920 per ton or 270 per missile). Nice round numbers are for sissies...  ;D
[/quote]

I do similar except just take the Proto/Battle Armor weights and prices for individual missile reloads (around 10kg off the top of my head).  If anyone asks why one ton of ammunition doesn't hold the same number of missiles for differing rack sizes I just say "feed mechanism" with a straight face. Wink