Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Total Conversion?
I've been trying to find a good turn based napoleonic game (the ones vaguely reflective of the historical tactics, that is) to play with a friend but they generally have outdated interfaces and/or functionality. The Vassal software is nice but can only do so much. So I was wondering, would it be straightforward enough to modify the megamek code to make it work for historical battles? I would try to make it play like the john tiller games or the civil war generals series. I know java but haven't really delved into the source code...thought I'd at least ask first to see how feasible it is.
I guess it depends on how much work you really want to do. I'm not really familiar with john tiller games or civil war generals series, so I'm not exactly sure how they play. If you kept the same phase/round structure of MM, "in theory" what you'd mostly need to edit is the Entity class, and all of the phase action handling methods, like Server.processMovement, and handling the weapons firing. To be honest, I feel like it'd be an awful lot of work and there would end up being a lot of pit falls.

I feel like you might be better served by looking at available game engines, as they are better suited to providing useful libraries to build up whatever game you have in mind. Using Java requires you to basically write everything from scratch as MM has done, and that's a lot of work.
(09-22-2017, 07:17 AM)soylentgreeen202 Wrote: I've been trying to find a good turn based napoleonic game (the ones vaguely reflective of the historical tactics, that is) to play with a friend but they generally have outdated interfaces and/or functionality. The Vassal software is nice but can only do so much. So I was wondering, would it be straightforward enough to modify the megamek code to make it work for historical battles? I would try to make it play like the john tiller games or the civil war generals series. I know java but haven't really delved into the source code...thought I'd at least ask first to see how feasible it is.

Might be easier just to use TableTop Simulator or something similar.