Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nightfighters
Been playing  mekhq and keep ending up with night battles or in pitch black.   Cause I forget to use my rolls and  change  it.   So besides the Warhammer are there anyother mechs that have a searchlight quirk?   Thinking of building a  lance for strictly dark  engagements..   Thanks for the help.
Have a look in data folder, canonUnitQuirks.xml (you'll need a decent text editor like Notepad++ if using windows) to open it. Search for "searchlight"

The other options is just configure your units in the lobby and give them the quirk.
How exactly does the searchlight work, I know a fair few of my mechs have them, but I could never figure out the benefit they provided.
You have to turn it on during movement phase. Illuminates the one using the SL and 30 hexes towards where it is aiming. Pro bonus... stick it on a fast moving whatever and keep that unit far away and use it to illuminate shots for everyone else.
(01-24-2018, 11:56 PM)masteraaron74 Wrote: Been playing  mekhq and keep ending up with night battles or in pitch black.   Cause I forget to use my rolls and  change  it.   So besides the Warhammer are there anyother mechs that have a searchlight quirk?   Thinking of building a  lance for strictly dark  engagements..   Thanks for the help.

Two other things you can do besides searchlights:

1) Load up on tracer ammo for your autocannons to reduce or eliminate the night time penalty.
2) Set things on fire. Forests, buildings, crop fields.
I had a Warhammer in a campaign that I called the "Search Light of Instant Death" because in night fights, anything he illuminated died that turn, because I would focus fire on that target. It also helped that he was a 1 Gunner.

But my biggest issue with the Search Light, is two fold. 1, I don't think its on anything lighter than the Rifleman. And 2, any hit to the torso kills is on a 7+, making it far too fragile for my tastes.

Starting Fires... hehe... I remember when MegaMek didn't handle that all to well. We had a match, before the bot really did anything more than just stand still and shoot, that wound up on a Dense Woods map, the players were up against a Clan Force, in Level 1 Tech. I, being the GM, expected them to die... Instead they lit the WHOLE FREAKING FOREST on fire and ran away. The final turn of the match took me something ridiculous like 2 Minutes just to process all the "Fire spread to Hex XXXX!" messages.
Ferret VTOLs or Warriors work great if you click the searchlight tab while configuring your units (and theoretically the sensor mast if mounted on them in the lab should work too without exposing them to fire) before a battle.

Otherwise in addition to the aforementioned infernos and general pyromaniacs Arty has illumination rounds either pre target likely engagement areas or shoot enough rounds that something good enough will work.
Any unit can mount searchlights even infantry.

[Image: EfXtltM.png]

As long as you go into the select map tab > planetary conditions > and set it to a night map (unless AtB is doing that for you) then every unit in your lobby you will be able to right click > configure unit > equipment tab > and check the "Has searchlight" box.