Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Extraction (Attacker) question
After some familiarity with megamek a few years ago I've dived into MekHQ atb play (0.43.6), and it's been fun going. Bugs encountered are fixable by closing the program and loading a save. I'm aware that "cheating" is built into the design, but I find the problems interesting (historical merc maintenance modifier swiftly got uninteresting) so I avoid doing it, it's led to some fun- interesting problems to play around.

"The Gromveld contract was as fiscally rewarding as the Capollan one had been fiscally damaging. The Night Shepherds swiftly doubled their stake, with Davion quartermasters offering prompt cash on the barrelhead at good rates for enemy salvage. They became familiar with a new kind of employer treachery- the lance was not permitted to buy repair supplies from the Davion beachhead supply park. Combined with all salvage being by contract stipulation monetized, this resulted in the pernicious situation of, after two months, a six-times victorious and very wealthy merc lance that was on the point of annihilation, with only two mechs still capable of being fielded and three months of contract obligations yet to go. From their founding blessed with a hyper-competent administrative arm, the Night Shepherds loophole-surfed and reinvented themselves from a battlemech attack lance to a mixed short company, carefully acquiring four modern Manticore heavy tanks and crews largely drawn from Kuritan POWs and Davion malcontents. This saw them through to the end of their contract, whereupon they took their pile money and left."

In game terms, starting by shelling a Scorpion mech like a crab because I couldn't repair the leg, and putting the armor on holes in other mechs because I couldn't buy armor, keeping it up until I only had two mechs left (starting with five and never actually losing one) buying vehicles to salvage for their armor, and then just buying vehicles and manning them with defectors. It was very enjoyable and tense playing.

"Despite misgivings, once clear of Gromveld they decided to try another, similar Davion contract, and put out feelers. This time knowing what to expect they prepared accordingly, building up a respectable warehouse of spare parts, enough they hoped to see them through a few months of high-intensity war. The Davions also took a chance on them- The Night Shepherds had given good value- but showed a counter-adaption when the mercs started being given missions that allowed no salvage due to not retaining control of the battleground, negating the generous salvage exchange rates."

In game terms, Extraction (attacker) missions. That seems sensible, I made a mint off of 80% salvage exchange terms on Gromveld, and this one is giving me 90%.

Here's the thing though- I've done three of these with a fourth coming, and they all follow the same form- a 25 to 35 by 25 to 35 hex map, bot enemy apparently weighted to the lance of record (Assault weight by cramming 3 heavies and two mediums) into a lance- a Mixed Company with a Heavy Lance (two heavies, two mediums) for mechs, and fixed wing air support. One Allied light mech deploys, and I show up seven turns in (I'm not sure that's appropriate, I have a 6-9, a 5-8, and three 4-6's). The 4 (it's always 4) civilians that have to survive to turn 12 are 2-3 fragile civilian vehicles and 1-2 civilian mechs.

This is a pretty lousy scenario (mostly it's the fact that I don't show up until is more than half over by turn limit and all but/completely over by combat events, the civilians start in weapons range, even the Allied light takes a while to get over there to give everyone something else to shoot at). Is it supposed to be like this? Is there a way to make it better without GM-altering it into something else completely?
The lance that is selected to be the primary deployed lance should deploy at the start of the mission. I have had this happen to me on various different scenarios from time to time, and have assumed its a glitch (there are some scenarios where it's intentional so its key to know), in these cases I have just taken to changing the deployment options in megamek so that the primary lance deploys on turn zero. Any lances you deploy in reinforcement should deploy in 12 - walking mp - 1 if JJ equipped) - strat skill of the deployed units CO, so for the heavy/assault lance you mention deployment on turn 7 or 8 is not surprising. This, however, is only supposed to be for the reinforcing lance, so if it is happening for the primary lance then either it is glitched of you've made a mistake somewhere. Mekhq should automatically commit the primary lance to the scenario, if you undeploy and redeploy the lance, or deploy the mechs of the individually rather then as a unit, you can trick the software into thinking they are reinforcements and so it will give them the turn delay.

One of the devs or someone more familiar with ATB might have some corrections on this for you, I've only been using mekhq and atb for a few months, but I hope this helps.
(02-04-2018, 02:25 PM)illrede Wrote: After some familiarity with megamek a few years ago I've dived into MekHQ atb play (0.43.6),

Current version is 0.43.7 RC1.

If you made an Assault Lance out of 3 Heavies and 2 mediums... the results are predictable. Rules have changed and are still changing so... your result is not the current "state".
(02-05-2018, 06:35 PM)scJazz Wrote:
(02-04-2018, 02:25 PM)illrede Wrote: After some familiarity with megamek a few years ago I've dived into MekHQ atb play (0.43.6),

Current version is 0.43.7 RC1.

If you made an Assault Lance out of 3 Heavies and 2 mediums... the results are predictable. Rules have changed and are still changing so... your result is not the current "state".

That was actually a typo, the folder is still named that but I'd unzipped 0.43.7 into it.

I've followed Bczretribution's advice it looks like the problem was that I was adding reinforcement lances (fixed wing Air lance, in other news fuel is surprisingly expensive) by deploying the entire company. Adding other lances separately keeps the lance of record deploying at start (or thereabouts, in case of Hide and Seek).
FYI, we strongly recommend against installing MekHQ on top of an existing installation, as it may lead to "unpredictable behavior". It's far safer to unzip a particular release into a brand new folder, then copy your saves, customs and settings over from the old one.
(02-06-2018, 11:18 AM)NickAragua Wrote: FYI, we strongly recommend against installing MekHQ on top of an existing installation, as it may lead to "unpredictable behavior". It's far safer to unzip a particular release into a brand new folder, then copy your saves, customs and settings over from the old one.

Noted. Also, thank you for all your effort.
Ok, I have another question- how is Chase (Attacker) supposed to go?

I have:

1 Enemy unit showing up Turn 1 (Fast VTOL)

2 Enemy unit showing up Turn 3
7 Enemy units showing up Turn 4, One Ally unit showing up Turn 4.
7 Enemy units showing up Turn 5 (Enemies are 7-11-7's)
3 Enemy units showing up Turn 6
11 Enemy units showing up Turn 7, 2 Ally units showing up on Turn 7, 1 player unit showing up Turn 7 (Allies and players are 5-8-5's, enemies are 7-11's )
8 Enemy Units showing up Turn 8, 2 player units showing up on Turn 8 (Players are 4-6-4's, Enemies are 5-8's)

So I'm certain everything (everything) on the board is deploying according to reinforcement lance mechanics. Latest build, didn't touch a thing. Is this how it's supposed to be?
According to the current rules... yeah that is working as designed.

Testing new rules for Chase for release after the next Stable. This would be drastically different.

Short Version: Attacker arrives on Turn 0. Defender arrives on Turn 10, 9, 8 minus (slowest walking speed) with an adjustment for Strategy Skill.

Join the Slack channel #atb for more details.