Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MekHQ Tutorial
I´ve written a short(ish) tutorial for MekHQ 0.1.9, which you can find attached to this post.

If you find any mistakes, or have anything to add to the tutorial, feel free to let me know.

EDIT: there´s a newer version of the document further down the thread, at the top of the 2nd page.

Attached Files
.txt   MekHQ Tutorial.txt (Size: 17.6 KB / Downloads: 336)
(09-29-2011, 11:15 AM)Sir Chaos link Wrote: I´ve written a short(ish) tutorial for MekHQ 0.1.9, which you can find attached to this post.

If you find any mistakes, or have anything to add to the tutorial, feel free to let me know.

I have one issue to take with this Wink
Quote:If one of your units was completely wiped out, or otherwise not recovered from the battlefield, then subsequently deploying the force it used to belong to will show a "ghost" unit to belong to this force, at least in the unit count in the scenario list in the Briefing Room tab, and getting a MUL file for that scenario will be impossible. This is a known bug; the only workaround is to remove that force and rebuild it with the actual (non-ghost) units belonging to it.

Should be:
If one of your units was completely wiped out, or otherwise not recovered from the battlefield, then subsequently deploying the force it used to belong to will show a "ghost" unit to belong to this force, at least in the unit count in the scenario list in the Briefing Room tab, and getting a MUL file for that scenario will be impossible. This is a known bug; one workaround is to remove that force and rebuild it with the actual (non-ghost) units belonging to it. Another workaround is to manually edit the XML save file and remove the ghost unit from the force.
NOTE: This is not the only way to accidentally leave a ghost unit behind in a force.

Also, you should make a note that there are bugs with repairs, especially to headcapped mechs, sometimes as well. Which also have to be manually fixed in XML.
Seems like a good write up to me.  I do agree with ralgith's suggested change
I´ve added ralgith´s modification, and a paragraph (at the end of part 7) on the repair bug I know about.

Attached Files
.txt   MekHQ Tutorial.txt (Size: 18.53 KB / Downloads: 36)
could an admin here maybe "sticky" this?
I think it's quite important and a big help for a new mekHQ user.

thx for the work Wink
I'm just glad someone is doing this Smile
(09-30-2011, 01:26 PM)ralgith link Wrote: I'm just glad someone is doing this Smile

It´s a tough job, but someone´s gotta do it.  8)

Glad to see you guys like it.
Thanks for writing this up!  I read through it while tinkering with MekHQ to see about converting my current campaign (run through a series of Google Docs spreadsheets) to it.  Bummer that there's no way to stockpile, except perhaps by abusing the GM Mode and pulling salvage off of 'bought' vehicles and whatnot.
(10-01-2011, 12:01 AM)Scolopendra link Wrote: Thanks for writing this up!  I read through it while tinkering with MekHQ to see about converting my current campaign (run through a series of Google Docs spreadsheets) to it.  Bummer that there's no way to stockpile, except perhaps by abusing the GM Mode and pulling salvage off of 'bought' vehicles and whatnot.

Buying and salvaging vehicles to create a stockpile? I hadn´t thought of that, but it´s actually a pretty good idea.
(10-01-2011, 05:08 AM)Sir Chaos link Wrote: [quote author=Scolopendra link=topic=304.msg1535#msg1535 date=1317441678]
Thanks for writing this up!  I read through it while tinkering with MekHQ to see about converting my current campaign (run through a series of Google Docs spreadsheets) to it.  Bummer that there's no way to stockpile, except perhaps by abusing the GM Mode and pulling salvage off of 'bought' vehicles and whatnot.

Buying and salvaging vehicles to create a stockpile? I hadn´t thought of that, but it´s actually a pretty good idea.
[/quote]

Costs too much
(10-01-2011, 04:28 PM)ralgith link Wrote: [quote author=Sir Chaos link=topic=304.msg1539#msg1539 date=1317460092]
[quote author=Scolopendra link=topic=304.msg1535#msg1535 date=1317441678]

[/quote]

Costs too much
[/quote]

Not with GM Mode on; while GM Mode is active, buying units doesn´t cost money.
(10-01-2011, 04:38 PM)Sir Chaos link Wrote: Not with GM Mode on; while GM Mode is active, buying units doesn´t cost money.

True, but then you aren't buying your weapon stockpile either.
GM mode -- do the math on the side and adjust the running total accordingly.
(10-02-2011, 03:46 PM)Scolopendra link Wrote: GM mode -- do the math on the side and adjust the running total accordingly.

This is even more long and round-a-bout than adding them manually to the XML... but far less dangerous. So yes its a good idea.

Heck, not just Vees either, can do any unit type. Tongue
Good way to stockpile engines: Buy the mechs that carry them and strip the engine out Tongue
Sir Chaos, don't forget to include this information in your tutorial:
http://megamek.info/forums/index.php?topic=309.0
Added the stockpile trick and the damage bug as reported by ralgith.

Attached Files
.txt   MekHQ Tutorial.txt (Size: 19.45 KB / Downloads: 252)
Well I use The "guneplacements" 4 basic supplies - WeightClass - PA - uncheck canon, off you go, somehow the GE's are 0 cBills anyhow. I hoped to find a way to just set a Value in the blk's but
I dnt know the class to use -if there is one at all. the other thing, I can't get an engine recognized nor any armor. But it's good 4 weapons, equipment and heatsinks, then I just salvage the stuff
using GodMode in no-time.

my SUPPLIES.blk test-file... including some ideas of how to implement a supply delivery into mechHQ or even a supply-crate in a scenario wich would be salvageble then...
all one would need is a SUPPLY-CRATE class 4 ingame use and a SUPPLY-ORDER class that you can purchase in mechHQ via unit listings. The last one would have a special
salvage "tag" though, wich would represent the time a tech of whatever experince needs (or the logistics staff) to actually have the delivery checked and stored in the warehouse.

It might be possible already but like I said, I aint got no insights on var's and const' and alike they use to trigger certain funktions...

Quote:#Guns block data file
<BlockVersion>
</BlockVersion>
#Write the version number just in case...
<Version>
MAM0
</Version>

# IF we had a unit type - STOCKPILE or smt this would be easy...
# make salvaging time for this unit type 'zero' or say 1/2 days for any tech-type
# representing the time it takes to actually have the delivery checked & stored away...
# have something like <UnitCost> xyz:cBILLS </UnitCost> recognized by HQ
# - job done, you got a simple way of creating supply deliveries
# and if i'm not mistaken there are 'classed deliveries' for Parts & ammo outlined in
# Mercenaries Handbook & Mechwarrior Roleplay Handbook.
# prety simple to implement I guess

<UnitType>
GunEmplacement
</UnitType>

<Name>
SUPPLIES
</Name>

<Model>
AMMO & PARTS
</Model>

<Year>
</Year>

<Type>
IS Level 2
</Type>

# tryin' to get an engine & ammo salvaged but it doesnt work
# dnt know enough about all the classes in the blk-files plus how they checked...

#<Tonnage>
#</Tonnage>

#<armor_type>
#</armor_type>

#<Armor>
#</Armor>

#<engine_type>
#</engine_type>

#Engine:300 Fusion Engine

<Turret>
</Turret>

# all the mech parts dnt work - no classes for supplie-cargo like ammo, actuators & alike
# not that I know that is

# I think if having a 'STOCKPILE' class, this should be <GOODS></GOODS>
# and to get the mech parts right we would need to have some constants for
# mech-body parts,say: 'Lower Leg Actuator;IS;100t' (100t meanin' to use in a 100t mech)
# or 'Structure;Standard;20t' (where 20t now means 20t of standard internals)
# also 'armor;Standard;10t OR 'ammo;LRM;100shoots' (or 'ammo;LRM20;5t' depending on how u want this implemented
# would be nice to have to ease up things... makes creating a little supply-app wich outputs 'STOCKPILE.blk's simple

# gimme basic supplies then...

# good thing is heatsinks actually get recognized

<Guns Equipment>
CLUltraAC10 Ammo
CLUltraAC10 Ammo
CLStreakSRM4 Ammo
CLCASE
Hip
Upper Leg Actuator
Lower Leg Actuator
Foot Actuator
Life Support
Sensors
Cockpit
Gyro
ISAngelECMSuite
IS Medium Shield
ISLBXAC20 CL Ammo
ISGaussRifle
ISSmallPulseLaser
Heat Sink
Heat Sink
Heat Sink
Hatchet
Jump Jet
ISLRM20
CLERMediumLaser
CLDouble Heat Sink
CLAntiMissileSystem
CLUltraAC10 Ammo
CLUltraAC10 Ammo
CLStreakSRM4 Ammo
CLCASE
Hip
Upper Leg Actuator
Lower Leg Actuator
Foot Actuator
Life Support
Sensors
Cockpit
Gyro
ISAngelECMSuite
IS Medium Shield
ISLBXAC20 CL Ammo
ISGaussRifle
ISSmallPulseLaser
Heat Sink
Heat Sink
Heat Sink
Hatchet
Jump Jet
ISLRM20
CLERMediumLaser
CLDouble Heat Sink
CLAntiMissileSystem
</Guns Equipment>

- HOPE THIS IS HELPFUL IN A WAY later good 1 ppl
Can you please at least try to be coherent? You could start by explaining what any of your post has to do with my tutorial.
true true, I'm sorry Smile while reading through your tutorial I kinda came up with the idea of havin crates to capture and a "unit" design to use as "supply-container" with a custom price-tag for stockpiling.

Actually I came up with a solution that shouldbe easy to implement, make a BLK. class for supplie-crate  it, have 7-8 arrays representing engines, gyros,system-comp, armor and alike + some funktions within the class to do the price calculation... got no idea ofhaow to make it capturable so ar though

But you right, probably not the right place  to discuss this.

never mind...
And here´s the latest version of the the tutorial, updated for 0.1.13.

Attached Files
.txt   MekHQ Tutorial 0.1.13.txt (Size: 21.43 KB / Downloads: 408)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  MekHQ Tutorial Angel 2 2,612 02-18-2012, 07:24 PM
Last Post: Sir Chaos