Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MekHQ Tutorial
Can you also do interplanetary battles, or jump from star system to star system? I have a friend that is used to MekWars, but I cannot figure out how to run that program for the life of me even with these crummy walkthroughs for MekWars. I'm keeping faith in MekHQ. MekHQ can basically do everything that MekWars can do, just not fully integrated with MegaMek, right? Or is there an integration thing so taht the MekHQ can affect MegaMek?
Is there also a way to use MekHQ v0.2.0 and connect to a remote instance of MegaMek sever? I'm running a MegaMek dedicated server on a VirtualMachine with CentOS linux. I start my MegaMek Server by commandline so I don't have a GUI. I can connect with a different instance of MegaMek on my computer and connect to that server. Can I do the same with MekHQ?
(05-07-2013, 08:00 PM)Predatorian link Wrote:Is there also a way to use MekHQ v0.2.0 and connect to a remote instance of MegaMek sever? I'm running a MegaMek dedicated server on a VirtualMachine with CentOS linux. I start my MegaMek Server by commandline so I don't have a GUI. I can connect with a different instance of MegaMek on my computer and connect to that server. Can I do the same with MekHQ?

Yes, with some caveats.
1. The MegaMek running on the server must be the exact one included with MekHQ. In other words you need to unzip MekHQ on the server and run MegaMek from that folder as normal.
2. You must start the MegaMek client included with MekHQ as a separate program since from inside MekHQ there is no "Connect to Game" option. That means you will need to use the "Get MUL" button to export a MUL file to import into MekHQ.
3. As always, all players must be using the exact same version of MegaMek, so any other players must also download MekHQ and use the included MegaMek.
What do you mean by the "get MUL" and "import MUL"? I'm not familiar with those.
In MekHQ, under the Briefing Room tab, on the right there's the scenario staging area.  Once you've created a scenario, you can deploy forces to it (from the TO&E tab), and once those forces are deployed you can use the scenario staging area to launch a MekHQ game.  If you launch a MM game from here, the results will given back to MekHQ.

However, if you don't want to launch MM from within MekHQ, this scenario staging area has a "Get MUL file" button which will give you a MUL file with the force you have deployed (and you can load that into MM).  Once you finish your game, you will have to use the "Resolve (MUL)" button to locate the end-game MUL files and salvage files from MM to resolve your scenario in MekHQ. 
(05-08-2013, 07:04 AM)Arlith link Wrote:In MekHQ, under the Briefing Room tab, on the right there's the scenario staging area.  Once you've created a scenario, you can deploy forces to it (from the TO&E tab), and once those forces are deployed you can use the scenario staging area to launch a MekHQ game.  If you launch a MM game from here, the results will given back to MekHQ.

However, if you don't want to launch MM from within MekHQ, this scenario staging area has a "Get MUL file" button which will give you a MUL file with the force you have deployed (and you can load that into MM).  Once you finish your game, you will have to use the "Resolve (MUL)" button to locate the end-game MUL files and salvage files from MM to resolve your scenario in MekHQ.

It should be noted that until very recently there as no "Launch Game" and Get MUL + Resolve (MUL) was the only way to play.
(05-08-2013, 12:20 PM)ralgith link Wrote:It should be noted that until very recently there as no "Launch Game" and Get MUL + Resolve (MUL) was the only way to play.

I don't know about "very recently" I think that has been in at least a year now.  Wink
(05-08-2013, 01:23 PM)Jayof9s link Wrote:[quote author=ralgith link=topic=304.msg7928#msg7928 date=1368030022]
It should be noted that until very recently there as no "Launch Game" and Get MUL + Resolve (MUL) was the only way to play.

I don't know about "very recently" I think that has been in at least a year now.  Wink
[/quote]

Compared to the current lifetime of the product that is very recently.
(05-08-2013, 01:52 PM)ralgith link Wrote:Compared to the current lifetime of the product that is very recently.

You're reaching.
(05-08-2013, 02:19 PM)Jayof9s link Wrote:[quote author=ralgith link=topic=304.msg7931#msg7931 date=1368035557]
Compared to the current lifetime of the product that is very recently.

You're reaching.
[/quote]

Yes... and? Tongue
0.1.13 is already very helpful but is there any up-to-date tutorial for 0.3.2 or at least 0.2.0?
(09-16-2013, 04:07 PM)BigDuke66 link Wrote:1.13 is already very helpful but is there any up-to-date tutorial for 3.2 or at least 2.0?

Version 3.2 and 2.0 of what?

None of the three related projects here are even at version 1.x yet. All are at 0.x.x. It drives me nuts when people don't clearly state a version #. Even if you preclude the leading 0, don't drop the version separator (period) because it indicates something. Like 0.3.2 or .3.2.

Versions are Major.Minor.Revision, so 3.2 is Major=3, Minor=2, Revision=0 whereas 0.3.2 is Major=0, Minor=3, Revision=2. Those are two vastly different releases.

And of course, MegaMekLab had to confuse things for awhile by adding a 4th section in (and I don't remember how the breakdown works for 4 section versioning). And there is an alternate interpretation of the 3 section, Major.Minor.Patchlevel... but it essentially means the same thing.

/rant (Yes, I'm sick of people putting the wrong version #s because they're too lazy. This is the same as hating texting abbreviations. It's "You" dammit, not "U". Ugh!)
(09-16-2013, 04:07 PM)BigDuke66 link Wrote:1.13 is already very helpful but is there any up-to-date tutorial for 3.2 or at least 2.0?

No, unfortunately the creator of the tutorial stopped updating it.
Too bad.

PS Corrected version numbers.
(09-16-2013, 08:59 PM)BigDuke66 link Wrote:Too bad.

PS Corrected version numbers.

Wasn't necessary really, I was just being a bit of an ass Wink
So YouTube videos on MekHQ and Megamek.  They where shot in January of 2014 so some thing have changed since then but its a start:

How to Megamek - Episode 1 - Not Megameking yet

How to Megamek - Episode 2 - First Contract

How to Megamek - Episode 3 - Marlow's Stingrays
(09-19-2014, 02:02 PM)Hammer link Wrote:So YouTube videos on MekHQ and Megamek.  They where shot in January of 2014 so some thing have changed since then but its a start:

How to Megamek - Episode 1 - Not Megameking yet

How to Megamek - Episode 2 - First Contract

How to Megamek - Episode 3 - Marlow's Stingrays

I just watched most of those vids.  he is very helpful for someone like me who is just starting out.  he does tend to ramble on a bit, and he does take breaks in between, leaving you confused as to what just happened.  for example, and for me this was a MAJOR set back, he sets up his scenarios between vids, so you never see how that is done. 

i myself found his vids on setting up a unit very helpful, just created a regiment of my own.  now i am muddling through, at a slow rate, on creating missions and scenarios.  i really could use some help here.

my intentions here are to keep track of my new regiment.  i am doing this all solo.  if anyone wants to join in, great.  i want to create missions, with random scenarios, using the AtB campaign rules.  i have a faint idea of what is required here as far as actually running a campaign.  so much info!!  i am on info overload here, need some direction.
Anyone have the file? I know it's out of date but it will still help with the basics. I'm getting a 404 file not found error on both pg 1 and 2. Sad

(I know there are youtube vids but I'd much prefer to read than watch video)

Thanks!
The tutorial Document should be in docs folder of the release, along with a bunch of other notes about how things work.
I'm sorry if this is off-topic, but I'm having a problem.  Quote from the Tutorial:

"1.1.2 Repair and Acquisition
This tab has a lot of options. I’m not going to explain their function because they’re either in the rules or self-explanatory."

What rules?  I can't find rules for any of the Mek series of games.  MegaMek provides a popup that claims it will redirect you to the rules for that app, but all it does is bring up another popup that says the documentation doesn't exist.  MekHQ and MekLab don't even claim they have rules, and I'm going crazy trying to figure out how things work.

Where can I find these rules? :'(

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  MekHQ Tutorial Angel 2 2,607 02-18-2012, 07:24 PM
Last Post: Sir Chaos