Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Against the Bot: A rules update
After having run the same Chase (Attacker) scenario in AtB for the fiftieth time, I felt something was missing. What was it? A sense of context, that your missions were having an effect on an overall campaign? 

The attached set of revisions is an attempt to improve the variety of scenarios generated by AtB, as well as create a little bit of a feeling of greater context. It also draws a sharper contrast between the various command levels and different contract types, and makes use of Princess' improved capabilities. 

It replaces the weekly AtB scenario generation rules. The tables related to opfor generation, such as the Bot Lance Weights table, weather/lighting table, etc. are retained. 

Having playtested this in several campaigns of my own, I've decided to open it up to the wider community for feedback and play testing. Be warned that absolutely none of this is implemented in MekHQ yet, so you'll have to generate your opfors and keep track of your campaign state "manually". Once some feedback has come in, revisions are made and things settle down, then it'll be time to code it into MekHQ.

List of major features:
  • Redesigned AtB scenarios - you'll see some familiar ones but also a lot more variety.
  • A campaign state system that allows the results of one scenario to affect subsequent scenarios or contracts
  • Greater player control over how lances and reinforcements are deployed (unless you're under Integrated command)
  • A scenario modifier system to further improve scenario variety, inspired by rules in Campaign Ops
  • Better-balanced opfor generation to prevent truly runaway unfair scenarios, such as a single lance having to face a Clan Trinary
  • A use for the "scrounge" skill
  • The ability to request additional support from your employer, at the cost of the employer's opinion on whether or not you've done your job
I'm looking for feedback on all these systems, particularly the opfor generation and distinction between contract types. Hope you folks enjoy playing it as much as I've enjoyed making it!

Attached Files
.zip   AtB-Scenario-Stratcon.zip (Size: 12.09 KB / Downloads: 30)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  useful verison update script... neilfw 3 924 02-02-2015, 07:54 PM
Last Post: ralgith
  New update? Madcow9000 11 3,635 11-02-2011, 11:42 AM
Last Post: ralgith