Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rank system
I've recently downloaded this wonderful program. I played Battletech years ago and am starting to get back into it. I love mekhq! I plan on running a mercenary campaign and using mekhq as the "back office". I would love to have my own custom rank system which I can add however I haven't found how to save it from campaign to campaign. As I've been learning the program I've started many different campaigns and having to recreate the rank system every time is kind of a pain.

I added the info to the rank.xml file but it still doesn't show up so I'm guessing there is somewhere else I need to change something but have no idea where to even look. If someone could just point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you.
Custom ranks are specific to the individual campaign, and get saved in the campaign file. You could copy the relevant portion from one campaign file to another, but I think it would be useful to have the ability to export the custom ranks from a campaign so they could be imported into another. You can open a request for that on the MeKHQ tracker on GitHub.
(02-26-2019, 08:13 PM)rroby Wrote: I've recently downloaded this wonderful program. I played Battletech years ago and am starting to get back into it. I love mekhq! I plan on running a mercenary campaign and using mekhq as the "back office". I would love to have my own custom rank system which I can add however I haven't found how to save it from campaign to campaign. As I've been learning the program I've started many different campaigns and having to recreate the rank system every time is kind of a pain.

I added the info to the rank.xml file but it still doesn't show up so I'm guessing there is somewhere else I need to change something but have no idea where to even look. If someone could just point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you.

The ranks need to be added under the 'data/universe/ranks.xml' file under the section where <system>12</system is. 12 is the Custom ranks. The program is currently hard-coded for only 17 rank systems, and I wish it was more dynamic. This system may have been in place since the beginning has probably not been revised since. Please use System 12 for your ranking structure for your campaigns. You can use the rank struction found in one of your campaign files and copy everything from (and including) <rankSystem> to </rankSystem> and replace the <rankSystem> section for <system>12</system> in the 'data/universe/ranks.xml' file. I have teamviewer if you need more hands on help.
(02-26-2019, 09:25 PM)PhoenyxCullen Wrote: The ranks need to be added under the 'data/universe/ranks.xml' file under the section where <system>12</system is. 12 is the Custom ranks. The program is currently hard-coded for only 17 rank systems, and I wish it was more dynamic. This system may have been in place since the beginning has probably not been revised since. Please use System 12 for your ranking structure for your campaigns. You can use the rank struction found in one of your campaign files and copy everything from (and including) <rankSystem> to </rankSystem> and replace the <rankSystem> section for <system>12</system> in the 'data/universe/ranks.xml' file. I have teamviewer if you need more hands on help.

That explains it. I suspected there was somewhere else in the code that was preventing my rank system from being used. I'll replace System 12 with my structure.

I'll also add a request to be able to export / import the custom rank structure from the campaign.

Thank you!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Differentiating between "star system" and "planet" Akjosch 9 1,406 03-09-2016, 09:35 AM
Last Post: Akjosch
  AtB Campaign System Immelmann 4 1,044 04-22-2015, 12:16 AM
Last Post: Immelmann
  Marketplace Rank ComboBox pheonixstorm 3 693 08-04-2014, 09:34 AM
Last Post: Arlith
  Rank Table scJazz 1 866 03-14-2014, 11:14 AM
Last Post: ralgith
  Someone who understands the merc rating system PLEASE!!! pfarland 16 3,507 09-17-2012, 02:09 PM
Last Post: vettie
  Thoughts on some sort of campaign plugin system? acemarke 12 3,015 06-03-2012, 11:52 PM
Last Post: Taharqa