Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Can not run mekhq-0.44.0-mac
I have been running mekhq-0.42.2 for a year and a half.  

I downloaded mekhq-0.44.0-mac today.  I have it running on my desktop, but my laptop starts mekhq, but then the app stops and shutdown.  

The were no logs file in mekhq-0.44.0-mac\logs, but I Show Package Contents.  In mekhq-0.44.0-mac\logs\MekHQ\Contents\Resources\Java\logs has a file named mekhqlog.txt.

The contents is:

log4j:WARN No appenders could be found for logger (mekhq.MekHQ).
log4j:WARN Please initialize the log4j system properly.
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NullPointerException
at mekhq.Utilities.lastFileModified(Utilities.java:357)
at mekhq.gui.StartUpGUI.<init>(StartUpGUI.java:45)
at mekhq.MekHQ.startup(MekHQ.java:223)

Any help would be appreciated.

Nathan
Not a Mac guy but does this help

https://github.com/MegaMek/megamek/wiki/OSX-Permissions
(07-04-2019, 09:27 PM)Hammer Wrote: Not a Mac guy but does this help

https://github.com/MegaMek/megamek/wiki/OSX-Permissions

I did those steps.

I have gotten the Linux/Unix mekHQ working, which might be what I was using on 0.42.2.

I would like to figure out the Mac version working, but now playing on the laptop. Big Grin
TL;DR; Don't use the mac package. Use the linux / unix package.

macOS Mavericks (I think that is the right version) introduced some new sand boxing / gatekeeper functionality that is messing with the mac builds. The crux of the issue is that the app bundle is trying to access the data files in the same working directory that it is in. Apple has flagged this as a no no for applications, so the app has to be flagged with a specific set of permissions to allow this to work. The only option for fixing this, without messing with permission flags, is to bundle all of the data files within the app bundle. After a fair amount of investigation and internal debate, the dev team decided to abandon the mac builds entirely (you'll notice that the last couple of releases for the 0.45.x branch don't include the mac builds). Since the "linux / unix" package works fine on mac, I'd suggest using that one. Probably not the answer you're looking for, but you'll have an easier time with the linux build any way.
Apple introduced quarantine in 10.5 which applies the above mentioned attributes to the downloaded files. Apple later added AppTranslocation in 10.12 to prevent malicious apps from having access to the hard drive without consent.

It does make distribution of apps like MM harder, but they were put in place for reasons.
Thanks everyone.

I decided to just use the Linux build.

Nathan