Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help With Planetary Data
Update March 7, 2012: please email all submission to jayof9s at gmail.com

---

Update Sept 25, 2012: you can access the latest planets.xml & factions.xml: Click Here

Please keep in mind that the Spreadsheet is more up to date than the SVN!

---
The time has finally come to fill in the planetary data for MekHQ. Anyone is welcome to help submit planetary data here on this thread and I will make sure it all gets submitted to the SVN. Below is an example using the current system:

Edit: Please note, partial submissions are better than nothing. Submit what data you are able to find and I can compile the rest. To make it easier on me, only include the fields you have data for.

<planet>
  <name>El Dorado</name>
  <xcood>268.88</xcood>
  <ycood>-146.31</ycood>
  <faction>FS</faction>
  <factionChange>
      <date>3040-01-01</date>
      <faction>FC</faction>
  </factionChange>
  <factionChange>
      <date>3067-01-01</date>
      <faction>FS</faction>
  </factionChange>
        <spectralClass>G</spectralClass>
        <subtype>0</subtype>
        <luminosity>V</luminosity>
        <sysPos>2</sysPos>
        <gravity>1.25</gravity>
        <pressure>3</pressure>
        <temperature>27</temperature>
        <percentWater>77</percentWater>
        <zenithCharge>true</zenithCharge>
        <nadirCharge>true</nadirCharge>
        <hpg>A</hpg>
        <lifeForm>7</lifeForm>
        <satellite>Boulder</satellite>
        <landMass>San Diego</landMass>
        <landMass>Los Angeles</landMass>
        <landMass>Las Vegas</landMass>
        <landMass>Santa Fe</landMass>
        <landMass>Monterrey</landMass>
        <landMass>Durango</landMass>   
        <socioIndustrial>A-A-A-A-A</socioIndustrial>
        <desc>El Dorado is an Earth-like planet with 6 major continents and large tracts of arable land. This is due to the massive bodies of fresh water, know as The Super Lakes, which are located on the largest continents of San Diego and Los Angeles.

El Dorado is slightly warmer than Earth and has increased tectonic activity. Over the centuries of colonization populations centers have settled in locations that avoided the most geologically active sites.

El Dorado has a single moon named Boulder. It appears silver and sapphire and has a thick nitrogen-carbon dioxide atmosphere.

For much of its early history El Dorado was known for its JumShip yards. This ended during the 1st Succession War when the Draconis Combine left the Ship Yards in ruins after a raid. The planet itself still remains heavily industrialized and is home to many renowned universities known as the "Guilded Halls". These universities have allowed El Dorado to remain a front runner in technology and manufacturing throughout the Succession Wars.</desc>
</planet>

An explanation for each of the fields:

name - This field should be fairly obvious.

xcood - The x-coordinates, these shouldnt change - you do not need to submit this field

ycood - The y-coordinates, these shouldn't change - you do not need to submit this field

faction - This is the default (original) faction owner. Faction owner can be changed by the factionChange tag explained below, but in the absence of factionChanges this is the default. The most common faction codes are:

MERC - Mercenary
CC - Capellan Confederation
DC - Draconis Combine
FS - Federated Suns
FWL - FWL
LA - Lyran Alliance/Commonwealth
FC - Federated COmmonwealth
ROS - Republic of the Sphere
CS - Comstar
WOB - Word of Blake
FRR - Free Rassalhague Republic
SIC - St. Ives Compact
MOC - Magistracy of Canopus
OA - Outworlds Alliance
TC - Tauran Concordate
MH - Marian Hegemony
IND - Chaos March
ARDC - Arc Royal Defense Cordon
TH - Terran Hegemony
RWR - Rim Worlds Republic
PIND - Periphery (other)
CW - Clan Wolf
CJF - Clan Jade Falcon
CGB - Clan Ghost Bear
CSJ - Clan Smoke Jaguar
CNC - Clan Nova Cat
CDS - Clan Diamond Shark
CSV - Clan Steel Viper
CHH - Clan Hells Horses

We have added many factions since then (covering almost all factions that exist or have existed in battletech) download this updated factions.xml file for the full listing: Factions.xml

pressure - Atmospheric pressure
0 - Vacuum
1 - Trace
2 - Thin
3 - Standard
4 - High
5 - Very High

gravity - This should be a number with decimal places (e.g. 1.1, 1.0, 0.95, etc.)

nadirCharge - If there is a nadir charging station, this should be "true". If there is none then this tag can be left out.

zenithCharge - same as nadirCharge.

lifeForm - Highest life form.
0 - None
1 - Microbe
2 - Plant
3 - Fish
4 - Amphibian
5 - Reptile
6 - Bird
7 - Mammal
8 - Insects

climate - Climate type
0 - Arctic
1 - Boreal
2- Cool temperate
3 - Warm temperate
4 - Arid
5 - Tropical

percentWater - This should be a number between 0 and 100.

temperature - Equatorial temperature. This should be a number.

spectralClass - Star's spectral class. This should be a letter O, B, A, F, G, M, or K.

subtype - Star's spectral class subtype. This should be a number.

luminosity - Star's luminosity. This should be "Ia", "Ib","II","III","IV","V", "VI", or "VII".

sysPos - The position of the planet in the system. A number goes here.

socioIndustrial - This is the five item socio-industrial index which should be reported using the standard lettering system separated by "-" (e.g. A-B-A-C-F)

satellite - Used to name satellites for the planet. This tag can be used multiple times, once for each satellite.

landMass - Used to name landmasses on the planet. This tag can be used multiple times, once for each landmass.

hpg - The letter corresponding to the HPG rating on planet should go here.

desc - This is for the fluff description of the planet.

factionChange - This is the only dynamic element at the moment. Each time the planet experiences a faction change you can put in a factionChange element, which should have two sub-tags
    date - the date in YYYY-MM-DD format that the change occurred.
    faction - the new faction
When determining the current faction of the planet, the program will look for the last faction change for the planet by the current date and if none is found, it will default to the base faction.

Additionally I have a list of planets here: Planet Tracking Spreadsheet

I will update the list to show which planets have data entered and ask that you check the list to ensure that any planet you are working on has not already been submitted. Currently planets with full info will be marked as green, any with partial info will be marked as yellow and any with no info will have no highlighting.

Update: Also, please keep in mind that we will be following the same 2-month moratorium for adding data from newly released source books that sarna.net and Megamek both follow.
First, I'm a noob with no programmng experience on new machines.  But this looks like data entry and I can do that.  Before I commit I would like to know specifically how I would acquire the data for the planets and how would I enter the data?  Would it be in the actual game or would I just provide the data and you would copy paste or some other method?  And lastly I am in a similar situation as seems the rest of the fellas here.  I work about 60-70 hours a week, own a home, holidays coming up...  you know the drill.
(11-17-2011, 12:02 PM)LANewell link Wrote: First, I'm a noob with no programmng experience on new machines.  But this looks like data entry and I can do that.  Before I commit I would like to know specifically how I would acquire the data for the planets and how would I enter the data?  Would it be in the actual game or would I just provide the data and you would copy paste or some other method?  And lastly I am in a similar situation as seems the rest of the fellas here.  I work about 60-70 hours a week, own a home, holidays coming up...  you know the drill.

The info itself would be coming from various battletech source books. The info for El Dorado in the example is from A Time of War.

And all you would need to do is enter the info following the example posted above and post it here. I'll be making sure it all gets entered into MekHQ.
(11-17-2011, 12:07 PM)Jayof9s link Wrote: [quote author=LANewell link=topic=368.msg1900#msg1900 date=1321545774]
First, I'm a noob with no programmng experience on new machines.  But this looks like data entry and I can do that.  Before I commit I would like to know specifically how I would acquire the data for the planets and how would I enter the data?  Would it be in the actual game or would I just provide the data and you would copy paste or some other method?  And lastly I am in a similar situation as seems the rest of the fellas here.  I work about 60-70 hours a week, own a home, holidays coming up...  you know the drill.

The info itself would be coming from various battletech source books. The info for El Dorado in the example is from A Time of War.

And all you would need to do is enter the info following the example posted above and post it here. I'll be making sure it all gets entered into MekHQ.
[/quote]

What about unofficial sources such as Sarna.net and the IS Atlas on TeamSpam? Tongue
Most of that data is from novels and such...
The new sourcebooks (objectives, WoR) have planet specific terrain, weather, and factory information.  What about this information?  It would be useful to the player to include this here rather than his having to look it up for each planet.
What books (technical readouts or whatever) do I need to buy?  I'm an ancient Battle Tech player, I use an original box set and and original RPG Mechwarrior book still).  I'm not interested in expanding my collection of books but I am willing to commit to getting the needed materials to help out.  And lastly can I order these from my local hobby shop or is this something I need to purchase online?
(11-17-2011, 03:30 PM)ralgith link Wrote: [quote author=Jayof9s link=topic=368.msg1901#msg1901 date=1321546057]
[quote author=LANewell link=topic=368.msg1900#msg1900 date=1321545774]

[/quote]

What about unofficial sources such as Sarna.net and the IS Atlas on TeamSpam? Tongue
Most of that data is from novels and such...
[/quote]

Probably the best way to handle this is to cite your source when you post up an entry, that way Jayof9s can overwrite  unofficial sources with official sources if they come along.
Well, of Jayof9s and I sat down (we talk on IMs frequently) and got busy with it we could get all data from Sarna and the IS Atlas input in short order... a week or so I would guess. That at least would be a starting point.

Another option would be to steal the basic framework from the MegaMek.net/MekWars since they already have most of it in, and then just modify it for our purposes. I can use some clever Linux command line magic to strip everything we don't need from that file.
(11-18-2011, 12:55 PM)ralgith link Wrote: Well, of Jayof9s and I sat down (we talk on IMs frequently) and got busy with it we could get all data from Sarna and the IS Atlas input in short order... a week or so I would guess. That at least would be a starting point.

Another option would be to steal the basic framework from the MegaMek.net/MekWars since they already have most of it in, and then just modify it for our purposes. I can use some clever Linux command line magic to strip everything we don't need from that file.

The mekwars data won't have anything but the planet name and the x-y coords.
(11-18-2011, 05:10 PM)Taharqa link Wrote: [quote author=ralgith link=topic=368.msg1921#msg1921 date=1321635308]
Well, of Jayof9s and I sat down (we talk on IMs frequently) and got busy with it we could get all data from Sarna and the IS Atlas input in short order... a week or so I would guess. That at least would be a starting point.

The mekwars data won't have anything but the planet name and the x-y coords.
[/quote]

Really? I ran a MegaMek.net server for myself and two friends with just a limited planet set a long time ago... and it had a lot of planet data. That or I downloaded a planets file for it somewhere that did.
It had fluff information like spectral class, position in system, recharge stations, etc?
(11-19-2011, 01:42 PM)Taharqa link Wrote: It had fluff information like spectral class, position in system, recharge stations, etc?

Aye, but things like recharge stations we would want to include... and spectral class will change recharge times which is the largest reason for doing this isn't it?
Are we sticking to the original plan or are we going in a different direction?
I am glad I popped in here. I was one of the volunteers who initially jumped at the chance to help with the research and data entry (See:http://megamek.info/forums/index.php?top...850#msg850). I was hoping someone would e-mail me when MekHQ was ready for the data input, but this is just as good I suppose.

I would like to offer the following points:
IS Atlas data is not entirely complete, is inaccurate in some instances, and occaisionally inserts information that is entirely incorrect. That said, I think we should import as much of the data from existing databases as we can, particularly faction borders/occupation for the various eras since this data tends to be correct and is already used by the operators of the various mekwars servers. I can help get us the data tables if no one else knows what I am talking about. However, the pearl program with which many of the mekwars maps are generated provides for random terrain without any basis in the cannon fiction, which is important for those servers since not all of the systems have published information beyond their grid coordinates and the faction that controls them.

For my part, I would like to begin my contribution with data for 3025, since I have the most material on that era and many of the out-of-print source books (not just the ones that have been released in PDF form). In fact, I think I have close to a complete set now of the works published up to 3025, although I am mising a few of the periodicals (but most of the information published in them is was later republished elsewhere).

As for sources, at least as far as 3025 and the Fourth Succession War are concerned, I would suggest that contributors consider the following resources, insofar as they may be available to the contributor:

-The Sourcebooks for each of the five Successor States (now available as a free pdf download)
-The Faction Sourcebooks for Comstar, the Star League, Mercenaries and it's supplements, and the periphery
-Dropships and Jumpships
-The Mechwarrior RPG manual, First and Second Editions (Different information is contained within each)
-The Novels (Consider reading/searching beyond the 3025 era, since many of the later books describe the history, culture and geography of the various planets even though the story occurs decades after the Succession War has ended). I have some, but not all of the maps from the original books. I don't want to infringe upon copyright and, although getting permission from the various owners of the copyrights in those map drawings (e.g. Artist, publisher, author, FASA (and its present licensees and successors [yes, FASA Corporation still exists here in Illinois, although I understand that it merely licenses its intellectual property rights), etc.], we may be able to present much of the same information without violating the Copyright Act of 1976... A good beginning would just be to catalog how many maps are out there in the various books, and for which planets.

-The various Scenario packs, particulaly the older ones such as Wolf's Dragoons and the Kell Hounds, etc, since these tend to be much thicker than the later publications and are heavy on source material.
-The IS Atlas, volumes 1 & 2
-Objective Raids

Bah... enough listing. I'll edit this post to include more sources if it appears that anyone else begins using this list. For now, the above list is just from the top of my head.

I think we need to designate a few people, at least in the beginning, to be in charge of certain things. We of course need someone (or more than one) to enter the data, and we need someone to append the submitted data entry into the actual MekHQ program. Further, we need to know what data can be imported from the data tables that are already available within the Megamek community, so that we don't reinvent the wheel, so to speak. It would also help if someone (perhaps the person actually appending the Data into the next MekHQ release) reaks the researc/data-entry project into smaller sub-projects, since entering EVERYTHING is a monumental tast, and we don't want a volunteer to spend hours researching and entering HPG information for each planet only to find out when he is finished that another contributor already submitted the exact same information.

With this last point, I think that there are two good places to start... First, we should start with the major planets for each faction, since these are each listed in the faction sourcebooks that are now available for free on pdf. We can be sure that there is more information available for these systems than many of the others, and it will give us an ideal template for what information is available for each planet and how to present that information. (Second) As far as the other planets are concerned, I suggest that we begin by entering something finite, such as the HPG facility present on each planet.
       -This may help us figure out what to do for planets for which we only have partial information (either because we haven't found the proper material yet, or because nothing was every published about that planet). For example, I know from experience that when it comes to each system's planetary/stellar size and the distance from the Zenith/Nadir points, you will find the information scattered all over the place, and in some cases it is entirely unknown since Fasa and it's successors never published anything on it. I've always wondered how the writers managed to stay so consistent over the years when they do include such information... I have a hunch that Fasa kept an unpublished index on the names of persons, places, etc... but if there ever was such a master index, I have yet to learn of its existence.

Anyone else have any thoughts on the subject? I think we need to figure out how to do this systematically (pun intended), since we are talking about a gargantuan amount of information, and if we each submit our piecemeal contributions haphazardly we will then risk needless redundancy frustration in the end.I look forward to seeing where we go with this project.

Robert Lithgow
RLithgo@law.jmls.edu
Illinois
I think Jayof9s and Rlithgow sitting down and figuring this out is a good idea.  I'm throwing my hat in the ring to help out.  Just keep in mind my limitations.  I like reading and am willing to gather data and get it to you.  By the way, where are the house source books I can download in PDF for free?
Rlithgow, thanks for your interest in helping. We've already worked out a lot of what you were mentioning: I am the contact point for entering all data submitted into MekHQ and the info we're looking for and will be using is outlined in the first post.

Currently we're only looking for people to look up the data, format it and submit it in a post or to me in a PM or email. I did forget to mention in the original post that I would prefer people listed their sources for data just so that I have some reference where it originates.

I am compiling all the data as it is submitted from different contributors and will be adding it into the SVN periodically (and fact checking). My first post has a link to a spreadsheet which I am keeping updated with the current status of each planet.

Green means they are complete
Yellow means they have partial information and I am listing which fields are not currently filled in
No color means they have not had any data submitted
Blue means someone is currently working on data for these planets. In these cases I have added a date so that I can keep track of how long someone has reserved a planet so we don't run into someone selecting a batch and disappearing for a long period of time delaying the project when someone else could take up that planet.

Taharqa and I have (briefly) discussed what to do with the many planets that have no published information and will likely be coming up with some way to add non-canon information (and annotate it as such) to flesh out the planets but that will be after we have exhausted all/most of the canon data we can find.

Incidentally this post hasn't had as much activity as the same post has at the BT forums so it has missed some updates/clarifications and I would direct you to there to see what else has been said:
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.ph...864.0.html
(11-27-2011, 11:43 PM)LANewell link Wrote: I think Jayof9s and Rlithgow sitting down and figuring this out is a good idea.  I'm throwing my hat in the ring to help out.  Just keep in mind my limitations.  I like reading and am willing to gather data and get it to you.  By the way, where are the house source books I can download in PDF for free?

I know the house source books used to be on the old CBT site but since they've redesigned & relaunched it I am not seeing them on there. Also pretty sure they were available through battlecorps but I am not seeing the old free ones. Hopefully rlithgow can point out where they are currently available.

However, if you're able to gather the data based on the original post please feel free to format it per that post and submit it to me. It is not a problem if you cannot fill out all of the fields, just keep it blank or at least make a note of any information you could not find. Most planets are going to be missing some or most of the data due to the way planetary data has been published over the years (piecemeal and varying degrees of info).

The only information we do not want coming straight from source material would be the additional description (fluff) info/paragraphs. Make sure these sections are rewritten so as not to plagiarizer published documents.
*bump* since this post had fallen off the front page.
I do have the House Kurita Handbook from FASA, so I could try and scan the planets that are listed and have them sent to you?
(12-17-2011, 02:44 PM)T.S. Hawk link Wrote: I do have the House Kurita Handbook from FASA, so I could try and scan the planets that are listed and have them sent to you?

Please copy the info into the format provided into the first post to submit, thanks.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Planetary governor needs to give up! kipstafoo 2 705 08-12-2016, 06:02 PM
Last Post: BLOODWOLF
  Planetary Ownership 3145 Madcow9000 3 957 01-17-2015, 10:21 AM
Last Post: Jayof9s
  Planetary data representation Akjosch 4 982 01-16-2015, 01:54 PM
Last Post: ralgith
  Loading Planetary Data crash Groggy1 6 1,420 07-10-2013, 11:49 AM
Last Post: Jayof9s
  planetary ownership mchapman1970 2 1,147 10-12-2012, 11:48 PM
Last Post: mchapman1970
  how much data can the program have mchapman1970 10 2,796 05-31-2012, 06:39 PM
Last Post: ralgith
  Planetary recharge times Alain Dumont 5 1,692 03-28-2012, 04:30 PM
Last Post: Alain Dumont
  Question about the location of Planet Data Hammer 4 1,415 12-18-2011, 06:14 PM
Last Post: FogHat
  Planetary Map in MekHQ Snowene 2 1,442 11-28-2011, 11:51 PM
Last Post: Snowene
  Suggestion: Data Files Themicles 2 1,232 07-22-2011, 12:01 AM
Last Post: Themicles