Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help With Planetary Data
Sorry Jay they only list planet name, star type, position in system, time to jump point, recharging station, planetary chairman, comstar facility, comstar rep, population and percentage and level of native life.  This is the original house book from Fasa before the Clans so you are looking at 3025 era.

And where would the X and Y coordinates be listed in the planetary data on MM?
That is fine if they don't contain every field, just please note any missing fields when you submit the data. The coordinates are already in the planets.xml file (in the Data folder) with MHQ so you can either pull that info from there or you do not need to submit it at all as I already have it.

Also, usually before doing planets I would suggest checking the spreadsheet linked to on the first post to make sure the planet is not already marked as in progress, however everyone working on it currently is using new sources (mostly set in 3070-3080) so I would actually be curious to see the differences in the planets between 3025 and 3080 since I know a lot of planetary data drastically change due to the Jihad.
I'm almost done with the Objectives:Kurita planets.  I'm working on generic write ups of the worlds.  I've been avoiding any historical data and describing the worlds as Command, Industrial or Logistical and adding a little fluff.

For example:
A prefecture capital in the Benjamin Military district, Algedi is a barren arid world with no true night. The sun is so large that it takes up a full third of the sky during the day.  Settled by the Azami long ago, who are a very independent people, this often leads to clashes between their ways and those of the Combine.  The Azami very reluctantly allow Non-Azami to enter their “Desert Paradise.” 
The Azami of the world have an unnatural fear of the dark because of the planets permanent daylight.  Imported life-forms adapted to desert life are flourishing on the planet. Asketen Sand Walkers and Terran Burros are commonly seen grazing on tough grasses and cacti.
Efficiency on this world is very poor; only the Azami seem to have adjusted. Other people not accustomed to the planet seem to suffer from broken biological clocks.  Although an important Industrial, Command and logistical world, paperwork in this planet and its prefecture is in a perpetual snarl.

Can we cut and paste information off Sarna since that information for planet description is pretty generic?
(12-18-2011, 01:07 PM)Hammer link Wrote: I'm almost done with the Objectives:Kurita planets.  I'm working on generic write ups of the worlds.  I've been avoiding any historical data and describing the worlds as Command, Industrial or Logistical and adding a little fluff.

For example:
A prefecture capital in the Benjamin Military district, Algedi is a barren arid world with no true night. The sun is so large that it takes up a full third of the sky during the day.  Settled by the Azami long ago, who are a very independent people, this often leads to clashes between their ways and those of the Combine.  The Azami very reluctantly allow Non-Azami to enter their “Desert Paradise.”  
The Azami of the world have an unnatural fear of the dark because of the planets permanent daylight.  Imported life-forms adapted to desert life are flourishing on the planet. Asketen Sand Walkers and Terran Burros are commonly seen grazing on tough grasses and cacti.
Efficiency on this world is very poor; only the Azami seem to have adjusted. Other people not accustomed to the planet seem to suffer from broken biological clocks.  Although an important Industrial, Command and logistical world, paperwork in this planet and its prefecture is in a perpetual snarl.

Can we cut and paste information off Sarna since that information for planet description is pretty generic?

You make it sound like the people who inhabit that planet are actually more alien than human.

@Jay ok will try to get that stuff up for you then.
(12-18-2011, 01:07 PM)Hammer link Wrote: I'm almost done with the Objectives:Kurita planets.  I'm working on generic write ups of the worlds.  I've been avoiding any historical data and describing the worlds as Command, Industrial or Logistical and adding a little fluff.

For example:
A prefecture capital in the Benjamin Military district, Algedi is a barren arid world with no true night. The sun is so large that it takes up a full third of the sky during the day.  Settled by the Azami long ago, who are a very independent people, this often leads to clashes between their ways and those of the Combine.  The Azami very reluctantly allow Non-Azami to enter their “Desert Paradise.” 
The Azami of the world have an unnatural fear of the dark because of the planets permanent daylight.  Imported life-forms adapted to desert life are flourishing on the planet. Asketen Sand Walkers and Terran Burros are commonly seen grazing on tough grasses and cacti.
Efficiency on this world is very poor; only the Azami seem to have adjusted. Other people not accustomed to the planet seem to suffer from broken biological clocks.  Although an important Industrial, Command and logistical world, paperwork in this planet and its prefecture is in a perpetual snarl.

I think that looks good Hammer. Let me ask Taharqa what he thinks about taking the data right from Sarna before I say either way.
Bumping this post. If you'd like to contribute to MHQ, this is the easiest way - you don't need any understanding of coding or programming. Just submit planetary data from sourcebooks.

So far I've only had 6 planets submitted. Please contribute.
Apologies Jay, for some reason I got the impression that you had had a much great response. I am happy to help with the planetary data in between work/home/etc commitments.

I have read through the thread but could you confirm some guidelines for me for the descriptions:
1. do we need completely canonic words (ie are we "copying and pasting" from canonic sources only) or are we happy to include sources such as the Battletech Wiki (sarna.net)? Noting that we will cite the source in our uploads.
2. alternatively, do you want original words (ie no plagerising from canonic words or even sarna.net)?

If no one has claimed it yet (does not appear to have been claimed in this thread or in the equivalent thread on BT forum) I will start with the original FASA House Liao Sourcebook (1624), specifically Sian Commonality planets of:
Sian (submitted)
Barras (submitted)
Betelgeuse (submitted)
Buenos Aires (submitted)
Drozan (submitted)
Grand Base (submitted)
Menke (submitted)
Principia (submitted)
Sigma Mare (submitted)
Turin (submitted)
Victoria (submitted)
Ward (submitted)

I will then work my way down the list of Commonalities.
Here is my first effort with Sian, feedback/suggestions are welcome:

<planet>
  <name>Sian</name>
  <xcood>7.3</xcood>
  <ycood>-231.59</ycood>
  <faction>CC</faction>
        <spectralClass>G</spectralClass>
        <subtype>0</subtype>
        <luminosity>III</luminosity>
        <sysPos>2</sysPos>
        <zenithCharge>true</zenithCharge>
        <nadirCharge>true</nadirCharge>
        <hpg>A</hpg>
        <lifeForm>2</lifeForm>
        <desc>3025 - Sian has been the capital of the Capellan Confederation since 2368 when Capella evacuated and bombarded by the Confederation Navy after it was occupied by Davion peace-keepers. Sian is the home of the Chancellor's summer palace, House Liao's political apparatus, the infamous Maskirovka (or Secret Service) and House Imarra (the original Warrior House regiment). Sian is probably the best-defended world in the Confederation, garrisoned by the Capellan Hussars with supporting AeroSpace fighter contingents commanded by the best pilots in the Confederation and by the Warrior Houses battalions that rotate to Sian periodically for special training.</desc>
</planet>

EDIT - Co-ordinate data from MekHQ planets.xml, the remaining data is taken from original FASA House Liao Sourcebook (1624), I have changed the date for the bombardment of Capella from 2468 to 2368 to line up with the information/dates in the History section of the sourcebook not the date that is in the A Brief Atlas - Sian article in the sourcebook as it appears to be a typo.

EDIT - fixed typo, thanks Ralgith

EDIT - fixed typo in <subtype>
Quote:since the 2368 when Capella

Should be
since 2368 when Capella
(02-26-2012, 12:23 AM)Feenix74 link Wrote: Here is my first effort with Sian, feedback/suggestions are welcome:

Thanks Feenix, I'm heading to bed in a minute but I'll make sure to update the spreadsheet tomorrow and copy over the data for Sian. Honestly, any of the planets 'reserved' on the spreadsheet are long over due to be cleared since those couple people were offering to help in November and I haven't heard from them since.

As for your questions, source documents are preferred and for the descriptions, rewording is in order so that we aren't plagiarizing anyone.

Currently the only planets I have received data for are:

El Dorado
Galatea
Mallory's World
New Avalon
Outreach
Sian
Trell I

Anything else (as of 2/26/12) has not been received.
No problems Jay, thanks for the clarifications.

@Ralgith - thanks for finding the typo, my editorial skill would qualify me to work for FASA (if they still existed) Big Grin
<planet>
  <name>Betelgeuse</name>
  <xcood>5.74</xcood>
  <ycood>-309.57</ycood>
  <faction>CC</faction>
        <spectralClass>M</spectralClass>
        <subtype>2</subtype>
        <luminosity>I</luminosity>
        <sysPos>2</sysPos>
        <hpg>B</hpg>
        <lifeForm>4</lifeForm>
        <desc>3025 - Betelgeuse is on the rimward flank of the Capellan Confederation. The Free World League has fought many battles in its attempts to capture it from the Confederation. The planet has a Mek production centre and the northern hemisphere houses over 20 factory complexes that produce over 30 percent of all consumer and luxury goods in the Confederation. The planet is an important major source of manpower. Betelgeuse is home to the fanatically devoted Warrior House Kamata regiment who are willing to defend their planet to the last warrior. Ford Prefect and his semi-half cousin Zaphod Beeblebrox are from a small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse. </desc>
</planet>

Co-ordinate data from MekHQ planets.xml, the remaining data is taken from original FASA House Liao Sourcebook (1624) and, in the case of the last sentence of the description, the Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy (non-canon) ;D.
Thanks for another one Feenix.

Also posting so that both sites get updated, I've updated the spreadsheet with further completed planets the new complete list is:

Atreus
Betelgeuse
El Dorado
Galatea
Luthien
Mallory’s World
New Avalon
Outreach
Sian
Strana Mechty
Terra
Tharkad
Trell I
Niops V-VII
No problems Jay, only another approximately 2,886 planets to go . . .  :o

Reading through the rest of the planet descriptions in the Sian Commonality, they are going to take a little bit longer to summarise (they are a bit more complicated descriptions).

Also I forgot to mention I found another typo in my Sian submission and have edited it.
(02-27-2012, 04:10 PM)Feenix74 link Wrote: No problems Jay, only another approximately 2,886 planets to go . . .  :o

Reading through the rest of the planet descriptions in the Sian Commonality, they are going to take a little bit longer to summarise (they are a bit more complicated descriptions).

Also I forgot to mention I found another typo in my Sian submission and have edited it.

Nice catch, though I'd already found it. I make sure they work as I enter them so I catch things like that. And I also go through and edit the descriptions, etc as necessary.

My big update for the day has been updating the clan invasion corridors with the correct dates, instead of the entire Clan invasion corridor appearing in 3052. Taharqa had already worked on the the Invading Clans source book (Smoke Jaguars and Ghost Bears) and I just finished up with Clan Wolf from their source book and I am getting started on the Falcon corridor. It's really nice to be able to advance the date from later '49 until mid '52 and see the invasion's progress, including contested planets.
Awesome, I look forward to seeing the Clan Invasion in the next MekHQ release.

No problems and thanks for catching my typo. So does that mean my non-canonic Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy addition to the Betelgeuse description has been edited out?  :'(

Anyway found a bit of time this morning, so here is the entry for Barras:

<planet>
  <name>Barras</name>
  <xcood>21.12</xcood>
  <ycood>-357.3</ycood>
  <faction>CC</faction>
        <spectralClass>K</spectralClass>
        <subtype>2</subtype>
        <luminosity>V</luminosity>
        <sysPos>5</sysPos>
        <nadirCharge>true</nadirCharge>
        <hpg>B</hpg>
        <lifeForm>7</lifeForm>
        <desc>3025 - In 2521, Barras was captured from the Free World League and occupied by the Confederation. It was made a neutral free port of call by both the Confederation and FWL as part of the Buenos Aires Convention of 2858. It is an exception to the otherwise stringent Confederation trade restrictions imposed against the FWL in the early 29th century.
Barras is the hotbed of intelligence activity along the Confederation-FWL border, containing one of the highest concentrations of Maskirovka covert intelligence operatives, an equal number of Marik secret service operatives, as well as operatives from other intelligence services from across the Inner Sphere. It is a logical starting point for clandestine operations of all kinds by all Inner Sphere factions.</desc>
</planet>

Co-ordinate data from MekHQ planets.xml, the remaining data is taken from original FASA House Liao Sourcebook (1624). I will aim to get the updated Field Manual and House sourcebooks soon (got to save up some pocket money) and will then go back and update my entries with this canonic data. However, in the meantime I figure that classic canonic 3025 data is better than nothing.

(02-28-2012, 04:59 PM)Feenix74 link Wrote: Awesome, I look forward to seeing the Clan Invasion in the next MekHQ release.

No problems and thanks for catching my typo. So does that mean my non-canonic Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy addition to the Betelgeuse description has been edited out?  :'(

Yeah, unfortunately I had to edit it out as much as it pained me to do so.

Thanks again for another planet.

(02-28-2012, 04:59 PM)Feenix74 link Wrote: Co-ordinate data from MekHQ planets.xml, the remaining data is taken from original FASA House Liao Sourcebook (1624). I will aim to get the updated Field Manual and House sourcebooks soon (got to save up some pocket money) and will then go back and update my entries with this canonic data. However, in the meantime I figure that classic canonic 3025 data is better than nothing.

No worries, we are trying to keep the descriptions fairly date neutral so the general descriptions from the 3025 period tend to work pretty well since they seem to capture more of an overview of the planet's history where as a lot of the newer source books seem (to me) to just state what has happened to the planet in the immediate few years. But if you do find further information for any of these to update, send it along. For now I am noting any missing fields in the spreadsheet but accepting that in most cases any missing fields are the result of nothing being published.
Understand, I will simply have to start a petition to get Catalyst to make HGTTG canonic  Big Grin

No problems mate, happy to be of service to MekHQ dev team.
Since MegaMek and MekHQ have given me so much joy the last few months, I thought I'd contribute:

<planet>
  <name>Zurich</name>
  <faction>CC</faction>
  <factionChange>
      <date>3028-10-01</date>
      <faction>FS</faction>
  </factionChange>
  <factionChange>
      <date>3040-01-01</date>
      <faction>FC</faction>
  </factionChange>
  <factionChange>
      <date>3072-01-01</date>
      <faction>WOB</faction>
  </factionChange>
  <factionChange>
      <date>3079-01-01</date>
      <faction>CC</faction>
  </factionChange>
        <spectralClass>K</spectralClass>
        <subtype>4</subtype>
        <luminosity>V</luminosity>
        <sysPos>5</sysPos>
        <zenithCharge>false</zenithCharge>
        <nadirCharge>false</nadirCharge>
        <hpg>B</hpg>
        <lifeForm>7</lifeForm>
        <desc>Primarily known as a tourist attraction, Zurich lacks significant natural resources or strategic position and is generally lightly garrisoned. The planet features a museum around the wreckage of a Star League dropship on the southern continent, in addition to an amusement park and an opera house. These attractions and the planet's natural beauty made Zurich a personal favorite of Maximilian Liao, Zurich economically prospered during his reign through tax breaks and favored trade status.</desc>
</planet>
Great, thanks for the submission!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Planetary governor needs to give up! kipstafoo 2 451 08-12-2016, 06:02 PM
Last Post: BLOODWOLF
  Planetary Ownership 3145 Madcow9000 3 646 01-17-2015, 10:21 AM
Last Post: Jayof9s
  Planetary data representation Akjosch 4 628 01-16-2015, 01:54 PM
Last Post: ralgith
  Loading Planetary Data crash Groggy1 6 955 07-10-2013, 11:49 AM
Last Post: Jayof9s
  planetary ownership mchapman1970 2 894 10-12-2012, 11:48 PM
Last Post: mchapman1970
  how much data can the program have mchapman1970 10 1,978 05-31-2012, 06:39 PM
Last Post: ralgith
  Planetary recharge times Alain Dumont 5 1,290 03-28-2012, 04:30 PM
Last Post: Alain Dumont
  Question about the location of Planet Data Hammer 4 1,008 12-18-2011, 06:14 PM
Last Post: FogHat
  Planetary Map in MekHQ Snowene 2 1,183 11-28-2011, 11:51 PM
Last Post: Snowene
  Suggestion: Data Files Themicles 2 958 07-22-2011, 12:01 AM
Last Post: Themicles