Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help With Planetary Data
<planet>
  <name>Tikonov</name>
  <xcood>103.8</xcood>
  <ycood>-42.51</ycood>
        <desc>3025 - Tikonov is the third most politically important planet in the Confederation after Sian and Capella. Due to its proximity to the border with the Federated Suns, Tikonov is the second most heavily fortified planet within the Confederation after Sian and the linchpin of all Capellan defences in the area. Tikonov is the largest Mek production centre in the Confederation, Earthworks Ltd has recently commenced production of the new Cataphract assault-class Mek.
Tikonov was one of the first planets colonised in the early 22nd century during the first wave of colonial Terran expansion. The planet was originally settled by immigrants with strong Eurasian and western Asian background and named after the last premier of the Soviet Union. Tikonov established the Tikonov Union in the late 23rd century, the first political unification in the Capellan region, and the planet emerged as the political nexus of the region.
</desc>
</planet>

Co-ordinate data from MekHQ planets.xml, the description is taken from original FASA House Liao Sourcebook (1624).

Jayof9s - also sent to your gmail account.
<planet>
  <name>Aldebaran</name>
  <xcood>25.04</xcood>
  <ycood>-64.94</ycood>
  <faction>TH</faction>
  <factionChange>
        <date>2900-01-01</date>
        <faction>CC</faction>
  </factionChange>
  <factionChange>
        <date>3030-01-01</date>
        <faction>FS</faction>
  </factionChange>
  <factionChange>
        <date>3040-01-01</date>
        <faction>FC</faction>
  </factionChange>
  <factionChange>
        <date>3057-01-01</date>
        <faction>IND</faction>
  </factionChange>
  <factionChange>
        <date>3062-01-01</date>
        <faction>CC</faction>
  </factionChange>
        <spectralClass>K</spectralClass>
        <subtype>5</subtype>
        <luminosity>III</luminosity>
        <sysPos>5</sysPos>
        <zenithCharge>true</zenithCharge>
        <nadirCharge>true</nadirCharge>
        <hpg>A</hpg>
        <lifeForm>7</lifeForm>
        <desc>3025 - Aldebaran is one of the oldest settled planets in the Confederation. It is a modest world with a moderate climate. Aldebaran has seen substantial fighting during the Succession Wars and remains a tempting target for both the Free World League and the Federated Suns due to it location in a natural invasion route to the interior of the Tikonov Commonality. Aldebaran has a permanent military base, home for the Ijori Warrior House regiment and several squadrons of aerospace fighters. Historically, Aldebaran has been a major commercial and industrial hub, and though much reduced in capacity due to the Succession War fighting, the planet still has a moderate and slowly growing industrial capacity. </desc>
</planet>

Co-ordinate and faction change data from MekHQ planets.xml, the remaining data from original FASA House Liao Sourcebook (1624).

Jayof9s - also sent to your gmail account.
I saw that, according to the spreadsheet, Donegal didn't have a description yet, so I typed one up using the FASA Steiner book and the newer Handbook.

<desc>The planet Donegal sits in the center of Lyran space.  True to its place in the Commonwealth’s territory, Donegal is one of a handful of systems that formed the heart of the confederation that became the Lyran Commonwealth after the fall of the Terran Alliance.
The planet is a warm-temprate world, that boasts large deposits of valuable ores and gemstones, as well as a large variety of plant and animal life, some of which were brought from offworld and adapted to Donegal’s environment, where they have prospered and been harvested for food and industry.
Donegal is the home to many major trading companies, the Supreme Court of the Commonwealth, and the Donegal Stock Exchange. </desc>  
Saw Coventry was in the same boat... So...

<desc>The planet Coventry lies on the anti-spinward side of the core of Lyran space.  The planet itself enjoys mild seasons and large seas, teeming with life, and fertile soil, making it well suited for large-scale agriculture.
Even before the formation of the Lyran Commonwealth, the world sported a massive economy based on the exotic foodstuffs and raw materials.  After the formation of the Commonwealth, Coventry continued as a major trade center and became home to one of the Inner Sphere’s largest BattleMek manufacturers, Coventry Metal Works.
Coventry’s mineral, agricultural, and military economy is supplemented by a thriving tourist trade, due to its many beautiful semi-tropical islands. Coventry is also home to the Coventry Military Academy, a small but very prestigious training faculty for Lyran Mechwarriors. </desc>   
One more for the day...  Poulsbo.

<desc>Poulsbo lies on the anti-spinward edge of Lyran space, along the border shared with the Free Worlds League.  Poulsbo is a tropical planet, mostly covered in vast oceans and seas.  Due to a single large moon in orbit of the planet, Poulsbo’s waterways are rough and treacherous.
Though discovered in the late 2300s, Poulsbo was passed over for colonization, due to its lack of important natural resources and the difficulty in harnessing the aquatic life for food due to the dangerously churning waters.  Later, with the rise of the Houses within the Inner Sphere, Poulsbo was colonized by the Lyran’s due to its key strategic position along House Marik’s border.
With the formation of the Star League, and the peace it brought, Poulsbo was once again forgotten by the powers-that-be, though a large number of colonists remained on the isolated planet.  These colonists became understandably upset when the outbreak of the Succession wars once again brought the Lyran military and raiders from the Free Worlds League and Periphery to their doorstep.
Poulsbo remains a lightly settled Military Outpost, who’s civilian population is mostly upset by constant Lyran politics and war. </desc>
OK, I lied.  One more.  Chahar...

I took this info from the old FASA Steiner book, as well as the new handbook (For the religious bits).  

A question on this, and future entries though... How much of a liberty should we be taking with this info?  For instance, three things in this entry I had to take a educated guess at:

1. Faction change - According to the newer handbook, the Falcons took Chahar during the Fedcom Civil war.  The Falcon Offensive during the Civil war started in 3064, and the war ended in 3067, but I can't find a actual year for the fall of Chahar, so I guessed 3065.
2. Pressure - The text says things like "despite the planet’s large ocean and agreeable climate" so I assume pressure would be normal
3. Lifeform - Charhar started off as a dead planet, but at some point the Lyrans introduced plant and animal life.  This likely took place well before the Star League went kaput, but again, I can't find a actual date.
I also thought about adding climate due to the same "agreeable climate" text above, but I thought "Agreeable" could mean a number of different things, so I left it out.

<planet>
  <name>Chahar</name>
  <faction>LA</faction>
  <factionChange>
     <date>3065-01-01</date>
     <faction>CJF</faction>
  </factionChange>
       <spectralClass>G</spectralClass>
       <subtype>0</subtype>
       <luminosity>IV</luminosity>
       <sysPos>2</sysPos>
       <pressure>3</pressure>
       <hpg>A</hpg>
       <lifeForm>7</lifeForm>    
       <desc>The Chahar system is located in the central coreward region of Lyran space.  Though Chahar's atmosphere is well suited to sustaining life, the planet was barren when it was first discovered in the 24th century.  With the discovery of chemical and ore deposits, the colonization of Chahar began and a century later the planet held a significant population, most of whom were employed by various mining interests.
Due to Chahar’s inability to feed its colonists, the Lyran government began a project to introduce plant and animal life to the lifeless planet.  The effort worked even better than expected and life began to flourish on the once dead planet.
Charhar is known for being one of the two central worlds for the Lyran Hindu faith.  It’s capital city, Benares, is considered to be a sacred city to those who follow the Hindu faith within the Lyran Commonwealth.
</desc>
</planet>
I'm starting on the Magistracy of Canopus planets.  No descriptions just yet, but I'll enter the other data from the Periphery Handbooks and HB: Major Periph. States.

Edit:  only a data on a few of them, so they're done.  Sent to your gmail address.  Also included a few planets whose data I'd entered for a recent trip my mercs took.  The total list should be:  Algol, Borgan's Rift, Canopus, Cate's Hold, Demeter, Detroit, Gan Singh, Hardcore, Luxen, Marik*, New Abilene, Thraxa, Vixen, Wildwood, Zion

I see I duplicated some effort, according to the Google docs.  I'll pay more attention in the future.  At least the only time wasted was my own.  Big Grin

I only included faction change data for Detroit.

(03-29-2012, 05:26 AM)Alain Dumont link Wrote: What's the correct format for faction change data?

edit:  It ate my post.  >Sad

...why'd that get flagged as spam?  The tags?

Let me try again:  what's the correct format for faction change data?  Do you have to enclose each change in its own factionChange ags, or can you open the tag, list all changes, and then close the tag?
I had to dig into my spambox to find your emails so I'm glad you mentioned it - I'm guessing based on name of the email account.

Anyhow, faction change tags must be separated out for each change.

Correct:

<factionChange>
    <date>3030-01-01</date>
    <faction>FC</date>
</factionChange>
<factionChange>
    <date>3067-01-01</date>
    <faction>FS</date>
</factionChange>

Incorrect:

<factionChange>
    <date>3030-01-01</date>
    <faction>FC</date>
    <date>3067-01-01</date>
    <faction>FS</date>
</factionChange>

I'll update the posts you've already submitted when I proof and enter them. Also, make sure you check the spreadsheet on the original post, I noticed a few of the planets you submitted data for have been complete for a while now or only needed descriptions.  Wink Any planets highlighted in Green or Yellow are done and if there are any missing fields (other than faction changes as that will probably always be an ongoing project) those will be listed next to the planet's name. And if you're submitting just partial entries, you only need to include any new data (I've been able to pull something out of most of your entries)
Another question... Because I like to ask lots of questions... and will probably end up annoying Jayof9 to no end.  Smile

I imagine the overall goal of this project is to have all the data filled out with cannon data for all the systems in the IS, but we all know that isn't going to happen because many of the planets haven't been written up by cannon sources, and even the ones that have do not have ALL of the data, like Socio/Industrial Levels, which seems to be a much newer thing.  That said, is the plan just to leave that stuff blank and only put into MekHQ what we can get (or assume with a good degree of accuracy) from cannon sources.  Or do we start making *hit up and mark it in the xml file as good enough until someone finds better? 

I ask because as I am reading through books I find references to systems may only be talked about as a side note in some obscure place in a book.  Ones I will likely forget about in a few days, but that could be used to come up with a somewhat good guess of what the planet would be like.  Just very non-cannon-y

Take, for instance, the first one on the XLS sheet, "A Place".  The only real reference I could find was in the House Steiner Handbook, "...entire worlds, like A Place and Hegel, began to starve as their access to foodstuffs, medical support
or pure water was cut off in the name of military necessity" and the fact that it is only one jump from Bountiful Harvest.  From those two things you can guess that A Place is not a very hospitable planet, and so it was colonized for some other reason, but even so the planet is not a really important place, or else it would still be getting the medical and food supplies it needed, especially with the center of Lyran agriculture being only 1 hop away. It is far from any borders, so it wasn't settled for military reasons.  So it is likely a barren planet with a minor amount of useful basic metals or other low cost resource.  Living conditions are likely crappy even in the best of times, and people likely come here only as a last resort.  Like a planet sized Detroit (sorry Detroit natives).

Anyway, from all that we /could/ do a made up write-up of A Place.  I think the Sarna.net wiki is keeping made up stuff for now since there is a "citation needed" description on it...  But I don't like theirs since it says that it is "a world rich in natural resources" and I would argue that if it were "rich" then the Lyrans wouldn't have starved the planet during the first Succession war when food was so close at hand... They would have at least got A Place basic supplies to keep raw materials coming for the war effort.

Ok, enough typing about all this.  I guess the overall question is  "At what point do we start making stuff up?"  and  "Can it be sooner since I am reading references that I know I will forget about later?" Smile
Just a note: Its "Canon" not "Cannon", and it is used to refer to "from an established set of rules". Whereas a Cannon is an artillery piece Wink

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Canon?s=t
See Also Canonical:
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Canonical?s=t
(03-29-2012, 11:30 AM)Hangfire link Wrote: Ok, enough typing about all this.  I guess the overall question is  "At what point do we start making stuff up?"  and  "Can it be sooner since I am reading references that I know I will forget about later?" Smile

For now, we are *only* doing canon material. If you read a passage that gives you an overview of a planet with specific enough info that can be made into a description for a planet, you can submit that without the other fields. However, making the assumption that A Place is inhospitable is a bit too general and we're essentially just guessing/manufacturing lore, since not being able to produce enough agriculture could be the result of so many different factors, including just relying on Bountiful Harvest because it was producing so much that A Place could focus on other things OR because its inhospitable for a host of different reasons (too hot, too cold, too severe of weather, bad atmosphere, low pressure, etc etc).

As of right now we are focused on getting as much (or all) of the canon data in and then I plan to remove the 'stock' data that MHQ currently uses for worlds with no input. That way people can tell which planets have canon info and which do not. Then the only data I plan to manufacture at this time will be randomly generated star types for systems with no info (as that is the data used for transit and recharge times and it doesn't make sense for 90% of the IS to have the exact same star type), then I'll add a note that the data is not canon and then leave the rest blank as none of the other fields are really used by MHQ. We aren't here to make up data for the universe and I'd rather leave that up to people to do themselves.

And as for most planets not having data, I'm well aware. We're at about 8.2% (assuming ~3,000 planets) and I'm pretty sure if we get to 10% we'll have most of the canon data. Of course I'm not including all the faction changes and some other data I to want to add fields for (factories and garrison forces, etc).
Is the latest, greatest planets.xml available for download anywhere, separately from the main MekHQ package?
Only if you know how to access the SVN. The version of planets.xml in the latest MHQ release has no updates.
Looking at the Planetary Data spreadsheet this should be planet number 250 :celebrate:

<planet>
  <name>Elgin</name>
  <xcood>1.56</xcood>
  <ycood>-51.38</ycood>
  <faction>TH</faction>
  <factionChange>
       <date>2900-01-01</date>
       <faction>CC</faction>
  </factionChange>
  <factionChange>
       <date>3030-01-01</date>
       <faction>PIND</faction>
  </factionChange>
  <factionChange>
       <date>3040-01-01</date>
       <faction>FC</faction>
  </factionChange>
  <factionChange>
       <date>3057-01-01</date>
       <faction>IND</faction>
  </factionChange>
       <spectralClass>K</spectralClass>
       <subtype>2</subtype>
       <luminosity>V</luminosity>
       <sysPos>2</sysPos>
       <hpg>B</hpg>
       <lifeForm>2</lifeForm>
       <desc>3025 - Originally called Chisholm and a commercial trading centre for Terra and the various independent worlds of the Capellan Zone. The planet was absorbed into the Tikonov Grand Union and then the Capellan Confederation. The planet was renamed after Captain Edward T. Elgin, for his heroic actions in defending the planet against a Free World League attack in 2878.
Elgin manufacturing capacity has been dramatically reduced due to the large number of attacks it has endured during the Succession Wars. Elgin has recently acquired techology to construct special water purification and agriculture research facilities. This substantial investment higlights the Confederation's interest in improving food production and distribution. Elgin is the home-base for two regiments of the Northwind Highlanders - Marion's Highlanders and McCormack's Fusiliers.</desc>
</planet>

Co-ordinate and faction change data from MekHQ planets.xml, the remaining data from original FASA House Liao Sourcebook (1624).

Jayof9s - also sent to your gmail account. Also noticed that the Planetary Data spreadsheet is still showing Tikonov is missing a description, did you get the Tikonov description that I emailed you on 25 Mar 12?
(03-29-2012, 04:35 PM)Feenix74 link Wrote: Looking at the Planetary Data spreadsheet this should be planet number 250 :celebrate:

Jayof9s - also sent to your gmail account. Also noticed that the Planetary Data spreadsheet is still showing Tikonov is missing a description, did you get the Tikonov description that I emailed you on 25 Mar 12?

Sadly I think its 247 since 3 of those are for other additions (clan invasion dates, exodus road, near periphery connectors) but we're getting there.  Wink

And good catch, I did get your description and have it proofed and waiting to go into the SVN (I've got several pages of data fully edited and formatted, just in need of copy/paste) but I missed updating it in the spreadsheet. Let me know if I missed anything else.
if you ever plan on adding production sites would something like this maybe help? (see attachment)

It's far from beeing complete, i'm still working on it in my lonely hours. Will be surely several months, until its more or less complete (regarding the available data). But as far as I understand adding prroduction sites isn't a priority, so it doesn't matter, if it takes me a bit longer to finish it Wink

Attached Files
.rar   production.rar (Size: 27.27 KB / Downloads: 7)
Well, I hadn't actually been planning to go quite that in depth. I was mostly just thinking of listing which (known) production facilities were on each planet. But more data never hurts, if we can include the sort of data you're compiling that could be pretty impressive.
(03-30-2012, 09:15 AM)Jayof9s link Wrote: Well, I hadn't actually been planning to go quite that in depth. I was mostly just thinking of listing which (known) production facilities were on each planet. But more data never hurts, if we can include the sort of data you're compiling that could be pretty impressive.

The problem with that sort of data is dates as to when it started and stopped producing designs. Such as factories captured by the Clans and retooled to produce clan designs instead of inner sphere ones. Most of those dates don't exist. However... if we can get even close, it would let us "order" mechs direct from the factories I suppose... not that it would still account for used mechs...
(03-30-2012, 12:02 PM)ralgith link Wrote: The problem with that sort of data is dates as to when it started and stopped producing designs. Such as factories captured by the Clans and retooled to produce clan designs instead of inner sphere ones. Most of those dates don't exist. However... if we can get even close, it would let us "order" mechs direct from the factories I suppose... not that it would still account for used mechs...

That's why I mainly just intend to stick with which factories are there and might not go into detail with what they make/when. I would be more interested but there are too many gaps. And Catalyst themselves have said that they don't include data on 'all' the factories out there so it'd be a bit too much of a mess to try and use that info, in my opinion (and assuming Taharqa even wanted to go down the path of dealing with that sort of info for buying).

I'd prefer it to just act as a mention that, there are factories on that planet when it is known. And if we know there was a factory but it got destroyed in 2880 or 3072 or created in 3025, include that. People can use that info as they want from there.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Planetary governor needs to give up! kipstafoo 2 560 08-12-2016, 06:02 PM
Last Post: BLOODWOLF
  Planetary Ownership 3145 Madcow9000 3 789 01-17-2015, 10:21 AM
Last Post: Jayof9s
  Planetary data representation Akjosch 4 797 01-16-2015, 01:54 PM
Last Post: ralgith
  Loading Planetary Data crash Groggy1 6 1,121 07-10-2013, 11:49 AM
Last Post: Jayof9s
  planetary ownership mchapman1970 2 1,005 10-12-2012, 11:48 PM
Last Post: mchapman1970
  how much data can the program have mchapman1970 10 2,297 05-31-2012, 06:39 PM
Last Post: ralgith
  Planetary recharge times Alain Dumont 5 1,453 03-28-2012, 04:30 PM
Last Post: Alain Dumont
  Question about the location of Planet Data Hammer 4 1,162 12-18-2011, 06:14 PM
Last Post: FogHat
  Planetary Map in MekHQ Snowene 2 1,303 11-28-2011, 11:51 PM
Last Post: Snowene
  Suggestion: Data Files Themicles 2 1,070 07-22-2011, 12:01 AM
Last Post: Themicles