Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Team Initiative
Hi,

We were trying to play a game and got into a problem for a team game:

We have several players playing on one team and 1 playing on the other team. The Team Initiative option is quite ok but it has a big drawback in our case:
The individual initiative will always restrict one team to a specific movement order. Is there a way for a team (of several players) to choose who is going to move a unit? I.e. if a team has 4 players each controling 1 unit they decide in whcih order they want to move their mechs and dont have to stick to a pregiven individual initiative.

This would be something like an inverse "Individual Initiative" from the RPG related Options panel.

Or do we just miss something?
ok not sure who team works but when i play against the bot.  When I want to move another unit I just click on the unit's little side icon thingy and that will allow me to move that unit and take it out of order.  For instance if I have a unit that is prone and its near the middle of the turn order I will click on the side icon and try to get it up and move it
There is no way to do what you wish via MegaMek, since It has no way to know which player wants to move which mech. Among your own mechs you can choose which one moves, but when it you "team's" turn, it cannot just be anyone from the team. I've always wished that they would implement a Team Commander option, that lets you select one player as the Team Commander before you start playing. That person would then (when that Team's turn comes around) pick a player from that team to move. It does add some complexity though, and would be annoying if the Commander went AFK and stuck the team being unable to move. Though that can happen with any player right now.
I was told that it was possible in some very early version of megamek where you just said "next unit" and if you hadnt any left the next player of your team would have to.

Probably should put it in as a feature request.
if both teams use the individual initiative your "gamemaster" has the same disadvantage than your multiplayer team because MM decides the whole movement order in the movement phase. Therefore it would still be somewhat fair.
But I get your point, you want to be able to move that Archer in the second row to move first and that nasty Spider to move last. It's quite a big handycap compared to playing BT on the table.

If there is really no solution to your problem I also recommend to "programm" one.
We already had htis  "Even the odds" idea of both sides having a fixed order, but as you said it's just not convenient.
In my game, we use the individual initiative option.  In general it works ok, but certain mechs are WAY less useful this way.  Particularly, in a game with more than 3-4 mechs per side, fast jumpy things (Venom, Wraith, etc) seldom get the chance to jump behind anything because often as not, these units are forced to move first.

If there was a reasonable way to make it so players on a team could choose among themselves who goes first, that would be great.  I second the motion for coming up with a way to do it.
Is there any plan to fix/implement this?
Is this request supported by a rule in one of the official rulebooks? If so then your chances of getting it put in are probably better than if not. Wink And I'd make an official feature request to the project if you are serious about it.

Also, the option is always open to do it yourself. MM is an opensource project. Got to love freedom.
Quote:INITIATIVE PHASE:
One player from each side rolls 2D6 and adds the results
together to determine his team’s Initiative. The team with the
higher result has Initiative throughout the turn. Reroll all ties.

So each team (not player) should have one initiative in which the players can then choose which unit to move. Smile
(02-23-2012, 06:42 PM)Neth link Wrote:
Total Warfare p. 37 Wrote:INITIATIVE PHASE:
One player from each side rolls 2D6 and adds the results
together to determine his team’s Initiative. The team with the
higher result has Initiative throughout the turn. Reroll all ties.

So each team (not player) should have one initiative in which the players can then choose which unit to move. Smile

That does not specifically say that the members within the team get to pick and choose in what order they move (though it is the standard interpretation), however that being said... the reason MegaMek does it the way they do is because there is no easy way to do what you're asking code wise.
I'm not sure if I'm reading this correctly, but doesn't it already work the way you want?

When it's a teams turn to move, you can choose which mech you want to move.  Just click the mech on the quick bar on the right, or click "next unit" on the menu bar at the bottom.  That unit will then become selected, moved and locked after you select done, and the next team in initiative order will get to choose it's unit.

If you are using a custom move order within your team, then just enforce it yourselves.
(02-27-2012, 11:51 AM)RedDevil link Wrote: I'm not sure if I'm reading this correctly, but doesn't it already work the way you want?

When it's a teams turn to move, you can choose which mech you want to move.  Just click the mech on the quick bar on the right, or click "next unit" on the menu bar at the bottom.  That unit will then become selected, moved and locked after you select done, and the next team in initiative order will get to choose it's unit.

If you are using a custom move order within your team, then just enforce it yourselves.

No, it doesn't work that way. Inside the team the members are given init against each other right now. And that determines player order. Thats what they don't like.
Ralgith has pointed it out quite well.

Currently megamek is (in my opinion) mixing up players and teams. While teams should be able to choose from any of their units, players should not get an initiative at all (my opinion). You can assign an individual initiative (RPG options) to each unit but even then this has nothing to do with the players.

So my suggestion would be to get "rid" of the player initiative because no player really needs any as any player is always part of a team and the team should be the entity which gets to roll for initiative.
I don't think it is so much that megamek is confused how team/player initiative normally work, I think the real problem as Ralgith already pointed out, is that it becomes very difficult to actually code and implement an appropriate way to 'share' initiative with your team over megamek the way you would in a traditional game.
The only way I can think of it maybe working is if teams are required to appoint a 'Commander' player who actually picks the unit order.  However, you still run into issues of what happens if the 'commander' gets disconnected, how this would interact with a Bot taking over a player's position and probably other complications I'm not thinking of.
I did not have a look in the code but as there is already a "team based" initiative" after which the active player is designated in the team I would assume it to be possible to change it in a way, that the "active" player can be determined by simply keeping the inteam order but changing the "active" part so that "Next unit" will lead to the next player becoming active if you use it on your "last" unit in the cycle.

Well, as with any open source project, you're free to write the code for it and submit it or to submit a feature request on the sourceforge page and hope that one of the current programmers decides to work on it.

I only organize and make sure the planetary/faction data gets into the SVN so that's all the help/advice I can offer.
Is there any place where programmers could be easily contacted?

I had a look at the code and well. I think I might have an idea, but I would assume, that someone who has done some work can give me some more hints on what to think about before "just" fiddling around.

They're here, if you have specific questions ask and they'll likely help you out so you're not shooting in the dark on it.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Commanders and Initiative TigerShark 0 592 10-04-2014, 02:18 PM
Last Post: TigerShark