Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Major Planetary Campaign
This is going to be one awesome, big campaign. Me and some friends wanted to take battletech to the next level, so began working on some advanced rules to bridge an entire sandbox planetary campaign together. Basically, the large scale campaign is going to work similar to battles. Except each individual player starts with a base army (XXX amount of BV) at their main city. Each hex for the main map will be something like 30km so an army (or individual unit, depending on how you group your troops... as you see fit) will move based on the lowest speed unit in the group. So if that is an assault mech with a speed of 40 km/h, that means they can move about 1 hex per turn. I'll have more specific rules as we go... just trying to outline some concepts with examples now.

The big thing is not to lose the main part of the game and that is battles. The will occur as armies move into other armies hexes or invade other cities and places of interest. Obviously units and warriors will gain experience in battles and this will carry on like a normal campaign.

I'm also adding some building elements to the game. Cities add a certain amount of BV per turn which can add up over time. You can use this to buy new units, better facilities for higher BV yield, and most importantly, bigger mech-building facilities allowing you to buy big mechs. (You'll most likely at the beginning only be able to build light mechs, tanks and protomechs.)

It will most likely be a weekly updated game, in which i'll provide every player a (most likely flash) map on my website, which will give you positions of units you can see as well and other things, current BV, build queue, etc. Each player, on a certain day (which will be decided upon later, maybe even multiple days, depending on availability) will email me (at least most likely email movement / commands for now until I can get something better together) their moves. I'll then make initiative throws for all players, much like each turn in combat, and move everyone and such.

I'm looking for 2-12 SERIOUS players. This first planetary campaign will likely be a shorter (yet still awesome) campaign as I perfect rules and the website to better suit the game. Any questions fill free to post here. If your'e interested you can email me or of course post here. I'll have more detailed rules soon.
Been there, done that... and it is AWESOME! I entirely support you guys on such kind of play and suggest you get a mekwars bland client and use it to make the map and moving. THat way it is a  lot easier to match up fighting and such without the whole IP stuff. My own server had exactly such a campaign at its beginnings and it went great. If you need help with the setup, just pm me.

(02-05-2012, 04:20 AM)Ladob link Wrote:Been there, done that... and it is AWESOME! I entirely support you guys on such kind of play and suggest you get a mekwars bland client and use it to make the map and moving. THat way it is a  lot easier to match up fighting and such without the whole IP stuff. My own server had exactly such a campaign at its beginnings and it went great. If you need help with the setup, just pm me.

Interesting! I didn't think of that. I'm not familiar with whatever a bland client is but doing it that way might be quite a bit smoother. I'm very interested in doing it that way.
I think he meant MekWars brand... but I could be mistaken.
Or perhaps the base vanilla client, sans any of the modifications the various servers using it have made.
Yup, that is what I meant, vanilla client.

When I made the ALdebaran planetary campaign, I used a background map which showed the map of the continents (as per NAIS 4th SW) and I set the "planets" to be just the coordinates on the said background map. This way the players could go attacking each other according to that.
I've played Battletech and Mechwarrior since the fame started. However i'm new to Megamek. I'd love to do this!!
Hmm this sounds cool.

I like the strategic game board... do we get to play it out in megamek or?
Count me IN.  This sounds awesome.
Anything ever become of this?
Nope.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Major Announcements and Campaign Changes [06.28.14] TigerShark 0 835 06-28-2014, 12:53 PM
Last Post: TigerShark