Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anybody know how to restrict the firstnames in the random name generator?
I've looked at the files and I modified them for a faction to always pull from 1 ethnic group (or at least I think I have), yet when I randomize a name the first name comes from all over while the last name only comes from the ethnic group.

Any ideas?
That is something I would like to know.
There is some information about how it works here:

http://taharqa.org/?p=227

What you will need to edit is the faction matrix in data/names/factions. You want the column for the ethnicity you want to be all 1s and all of there other cells to be 0.
Tried that and it didn't work.  Also tried to putting a 1 in the first column for the new language and then a 1 in the last column for all languages and that didn't work either.

Attaching files in case you have time to take a look (know your busy and this isn't that important).  I have to break it up into two posts though so the first one contains most of the files with an abbreviated surnames file that only contains the surnames for the new language (original file was too big even zipped).

Thanks in advance for any help!

Attached Files
.zip   data.1.zip (Size: 117.22 KB / Downloads: 4)
Second zip with firstname_females file.

Attached Files
.zip   data.2.zip (Size: 114.59 KB / Downloads: 2)
Your matrices are a column short. They should have 36 columns and yours only have 35, so you are actually pulling all of your first names from the Filipino list.

I should also note that the format of those matrices is a little different than the blog post indicates because the third column is used for the surname frequencies, but it looks like you already figured that out. But the matrix should always be of dimension (rows,rows+3). Just plugging in a column of zeroes before you last column should do the trick for the RUC matrix.
That makes sense, I'll apply the changes when I get home and see what happens.

Thanks!
Yep, that did the trick.

Thanks Tah!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Standard Skills Instead of Random Longshot 1 342 02-14-2017, 04:48 AM
Last Post: pheonixstorm
  Blog post about a contract generator Question2 0 606 03-12-2015, 04:39 AM
Last Post: Question2
  Weighted random generation (names etc.) in Java Akjosch 4 1,074 01-16-2015, 08:57 AM
Last Post: Akjosch
  Writing dynamic campaign generator velteyn 17 5,647 08-06-2014, 03:56 PM
Last Post: MagnusEffect