Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ink Effects Portraits for MekHQ / MegaMek
Looking good to me, especially for support personnel. If you look through the latest images that DaddyHolby has done he has included some medical personnel from various TV series.

I would suggest avoiding shots that have the full suit and tie get up as they tend to date the image as being 20th-21st century. The open collar shirt that your test subject is wearing is nondescript enough to avoid dating the portrait.
(04-12-2012, 09:32 PM)Feenix74 link Wrote: Looking good to me, especially for support personnel. If you look through the latest images that DaddyHolby has done he has included some medical personnel from various TV series.

I would suggest avoiding shots that have the full suit and tie get up as they tend to date the image as being 20th-21st century. The open collar shirt that your test subject is wearing is nondescript enough to avoid dating the portrait.

Yep.  Besides, even out of uniform, who wants their 'MechWarrior to look like he/she came from a game of AccounTech?  ;D

That open collar shirt is actually one of the ones I considered a borderline too formal case; so if that's workable, the rest should be fine.  I'll work on them tonight, using the number range you suggested earlier.

...and many, many thanks to Ralgith, for posting the filter settings for GIMP.  Smile
AccounTech "The boardgame of armoured accountant warfare"

Declare Fire Round: "My Battlemaster Account-master fires it Paperclip Projection Canon at your Atlas Auditor."

;D
(04-11-2012, 09:30 PM)Feenix74 link Wrote: Good work there Alain.

Suggest you try to stick to the colour images from UA as we are producing both Black & White and Colour versions of the portrait pack. Personally, I prepare the colour version then (I am using Paint.net) I can use the Black&White effect to immediately save a B&W version. Also, if you stick with the numbering convention we are using in the pack (eg Male_xxx or Female_xxx) that would be good. Please start your number at Male_601 and Female_401 that way I will be able to credit you with the portraits that you have produced.

It's easy enough to do the B&W versions as well.  I'll simply put them in a different directory/zip file, with the same names/numbers as their color counterparts, as I believe you've done so far.
You learn quickly padawan  Wink
LOL...thanks.

What's the best way to get these to you?  Between my attention span and the dozen or so new minis I have to assemble and paint, I'll probably do these in chunks of 30 or so at a time.
I will PM you my email address, just zip them up and email them to me. I will then add to them to the portrait pack and post up an updated portrait pack for everyone to download.
Last note...while generally size 250x250, a couple of pics were either smaller than that to begin with, or were cropped to Y x 250, where Y is < 250--so they're rectangular, rather than square.  If that's an issue, I'll be more strict in the future.
First group sent--50 women, 13 men.  Let me know if the file's too large.
I usually make mine 150 x 150 pixels as that was the size of the other portraits that came with MegaMek. I don't believe rectagular is a major issue (ie I don't think it causes a problem with Megamek/MekHQ).
Yeah, rectangular doesn't cause a problem.  I've tried to keep mine 150x150, but I've had several that ended up a bit rectangular (at least one side was 150 but the other was less).
Would you prefer 150x150 size, or is 250x250 okay?

Have downloaded thousands of headshots, portraits, and (my latest source) mugshots (hahaha) this weekend...man, so many good sources to pick from!

Re: rectangular: I know MM/MekHQ can handle them; I meant it more as, "Would that be a problem for what you're trying to achieve?"
All we are trying to achieve is to improve everyone's experience of MekHQ/Megamek. So if a rectangular ink effect portrait is better than the standard silhouette with a question mark, then we have collectively achieved that.

If it is ok with you Alain, I will resize your images to 150x150 simply to try to keep the size of the ink effect portrait pack a manageable size.
By all means, and I'll switch to 150x150 going forward.  Honestly, I just mis-remembered the size you were using in the first place.  Smile
So, as usual, I'm cruising around, nabbing pictures for BT portraits, when I find this:

http://www.thezonefc.com/fighters.asp?FighterID=2790

Check out his tattoo!  LOL
Smile
Is there a difference in quality that I'm not seeing (at this size) in PNG vs. JPG?

Saving JPGs with max quality settings, they look the same as the PNGs I'm saving (using GIMP), and the JPGs are 1/3 to 1/2 the size of the PNGs.

Examples follow; the JPG is 9K, the PNG 29K in size.

Attached Files
.jpg   Male_619.jpg (Size: 8.51 KB / Downloads: 111)
.png   Male_619.png (Size: 28.64 KB / Downloads: 106)
Quote:PNG format is a lossless compression file format, which makes it a common choice for use on the Web. PNG is a good choice for storing line drawings, text, and iconic graphics at a small file size.

JPG format is a lossy compressed file format. This makes it useful for storing photographs at a smaller size than a BMP. JPG is a common choice for use on the Web because it is compressed. For storing line drawings, text, and iconic graphics at a smaller file size, GIF or PNG are better choices because they are lossless.

George adds – “JPEGs are for photographs and realistic images. PNGs are for line art, text-heavy images, and images with few colors. GIFs are just fail.”

So for our purposes jpeg should be fine.
I'm working on another batch.  While I'm at it, I'm resizing the previous portraits I've done and converting them to .jpgs at 85% quality; they still look the same, but at 1/3 to 1/4 the size.

Will mail you what I've got whenever I get bored and stop.  ;D
I'm at 99 male and 99 female pics.  Is it okay to use the 700 range for males and 500 range for females, or are those already reserved?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Scenario Syntax - Pilot Portraits? Rymafyr 3 607 04-27-2016, 03:49 PM
Last Post: Akjosch
  Pixel Art Portraits applerobot 0 1,635 07-01-2012, 04:56 AM
Last Post: applerobot