Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Battletech Tournament
Hey everyone, thought this might be a good place to post this.  A little mad at my self for not posting it sooner >.<

For anyone in the Northwest Arkansas area that would like to join in on a good old fastion Map, Dice and Miniture Battletech Tournament.  This weekend 8/3-8/5 in Bentonville, AR I will be running a Classic Battletech Tournament at Glitch Con.  The Tournament will be going on Saturday starting around 11am.  Sign up will be starting Friday around 4pm and going until the tournament starts.  I will also be running pick-up games and training sessions on Friday and Sunday. 

I hope to see any in the area that can attend to join in on some games and network with fellow Mechwarriors in the area.  So come by and see me in the game room.

Knight Trap

Con Details at http://glitchcon.com/

[Image: glitch.jpg]
I know I posted this a while back.  So giving a review of what happened almost a month after is kind of wierd. 

Anyway had a great time running this tournament.  Wasn't a large Tournament, around 10 people, but I had a lot of people come to watch after it already started.  The winner was a veteran battletech player from North Little Rock, AR that won 5 strait matches. 

The most fun tho was me running training matches for all the new players over the weekend.  In the two days that I wasn't running the tournament, I must have GMed 15-20 games.  Around 15 people that have never even heard anything about Battletech joined in had a great time playing for the first time. 

To cap it all off, to finish off the fun on Sunday, I was starting up another game.  I had 3 people wanting to play, and was going to do a two on two match.  We called out in the game room for anyone that wanted to join in on the game.  7 people come over and ask if they can join in.  As a GM i've run some big games, at one point I ran a Mechwarrior 2nd edition game with 7 people, but never have I had 10 people in a signle match, with half of them never playing the game before.  Never to be one to back down from a challenge,  I had each of them pick a Medium mech, purely off the look of the mech.  I then pulled out the Steiner Colussium and had them place the mechs around out the side.

As it started out, there were a few shots here and there.  Then the Hunchback hit with his AC/20 on the Pheinox Hawk, ripping his arm and large laser off in a single shot.  It then became a bull rush on the Hunchback.  In the end it was a lone Cicada that won as the other two remaining mechs, a Griffin and a Centurion, killed each other with thier final shots. 

As I was packing up, getting ready to leave the Con, the father of one of the players came up to me, "I've been playing sense the first edition.  I've got 2 unopened original box sets I gave to my son for his birthday years ago.  I've tried for years to get him to play this game, but not once has he given it a second thought.  Now after one day of gaming with you, he won't shut up about the game and wants to brake open his copy and start playing.  I don't know what you did, but I'm impressed."  He then handed me an unopened copy of the Citytech box.  I've already got an invintation to come back next year. 

Even though my Tournament didn't get as big as I would have wanted it, the fact that I introduced a classic game to a new generation, made the time more than worth it. Here is hoping its even better next year.

Sounds like it went pretty well, and you may have hoped it would get bigger it sounds like it still attracted a lot of attention.  Big Grin
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Great Job! I always like to hear good follow up news, no matter how late.

I feel that father's pain. I try to get friends into it and they all are very skeptical cause it doesn't have flashy graphics and you use "dice." Then the few that do try it, love it and really LOVE it when they realize it can be scaled up to be a complete game of taking over an entire system. Aerospace down to ground combat.

Glad you had fun. That is the most important thing. Smile
Thanks for the kind words.  Hope is this year will be a lot of fun too.  For those that might be interested I'm running at least 2 tournments in 2013, and I'm trying for a third.

Here is my schedule:

Ark-Con 2013 in Springdale, AR  March 23-24(Almost Confirmed)

Tokyo in Tulsa in Tulsa, OK August(Working with a contact)

Glitch Con 2013 in Springdale, AR August(Confirmed)

Hi!
I'm new to the site, and found it because I was searching for a Tournament.
If there is some interest in the Central Arkansas area, Malvern/Hot Springs area, I could host a tournament in Malvern.  The problem is only that I have never GM'd or ran a tournament, but have played in several.  I have a good location and 4 dedicated new players, so maybe we can find a way to make this happen.
Hello fellow Mechwarriors, I'm in Oklahoma over by Fort Smith. I saw the post about the upsoming tournament in NWA. I look forward to hearing more about them and where they will be at.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Weekend Grinder or Tournament 09/09/2017 BLOODWOLF 1 113 09-09-2017, 10:41 AM
Last Post: arekP64
  IRC Tournament BLOODWOLF 6 567 04-20-2017, 03:50 PM
Last Post: GraalOtonami