Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Merc Campain Set in the early 3000s
I'm looking to run a Battletech Mercenary Campaign starting between 3000 and 3010.  I'm planning on running it as long as willing.  Multiple people are welcome to play, but one player will be considered there commander and will be resposible for keeping up with MekHQ.  I would like to start the Campaign with a modified verson of Operation Stelitto. 
Here are the basics for the Campaign:
  • I'll be using the FM:Mercenary(Revised) Creating/Running the Mercenary force
  • I'm looking for the Merc to be at least one Battalion in size with at least some Aerospace support
  • I'm looking to get together once, maybe twice a week.  Pretty flexable on times
  • I will be using a custom list of mechs, this consists of 70 mechs that are split between each house.  A list is avalible apon request
  • The Player/Commander will need a working knowlage of MekHQ

If your interested please send me an e-mail or leave a post on the forums. 
Thanks
Were you intending this to be a campaign where the player plays most of the battalion or controls one mech.  And is this intended for one player or a full group of players?
Forgot to add that I might be interested, though not necessarily as the commander, more interested in playing with a group.
You've perked my interest as well. I've been playing around with MekHQ and I feel I have a real good grasp on it now. Playing senarios everyday and running a solo campaign that started 3030.
I'd like more clarification as to what each player will be controling and how you want to run this campaign.
The Commander would be in charge of running the MekHQ for the unit(Battalion or bigger), repairs, setting up missions with my self, buying equipment and the like.  Any other players that are interested would be given command postions such as Company/Lance commanders.  Depending on what parts of the unit are in the battle(not a big fan of more then company on company as it can take a really long time) different players would be uses for each battle.  I can also split it up where Company A fights Bad guy A on the same day(game time) that Company B fights Bad guy B.  So you are fighting at the same time(game time speeking), but might be on differet days in real life.  Just a matter of how our scedules work out. 

The campain it self will be run using the FM: Mercenary(Revised) rules for running a merc.  You will roll for contracts, do contract Negotations and have to keep up with logistics.  I will be controling the employeers and being the OpFor when battles are run.  As me and the commander work together to build missions, they will set down objectives for each of his Company/Lance commanders in the battle and set dates for the battle to happen.

Also if its going to be more then one person in the campain, who ever the commander of the unit is will need to have knowlage of how Split Mul files and combind them back together if say there is enough players that you not only have company comanders, but lance commanders as well.  Or if they CO desides he wants to take his command lance in with another company for a pivital battle. 

Also, I will need a comander to be able to spend a couple of hours with me building the Merc force. 

Hope that helps clear some of this up.  Feel free to ask more if you have them.
Sounds pretty cool.  While I'm quite familier with MHQ, i spend more time with it developing and testing code.  That and Real Life makes me not the best person to be CO, but I'll answer questions best I can.  I would be interested in being a lance/company commander, though.
As soon as someone is willing to be the commander, I'll have him start making contact with people to fill our command postions.  Hopefully someone is up for the challenge.  ;D
Hey this sounds cool. I know MechHQ pretty well, only wish it had more automated rolls. I would assume limits on numbers of days between missions would also be placed. I can do the part about splitting mul files and putting them back together.  I prefer to play as a player, but if others are willing, I would be ok with doing the mechHQ repairs of my own company, and have each player do their own. doing repairs for a battalion is more than I could handle.

Any other thoughts that you have? Would you be using PC's with abilities or they are just pilots with skills?

-Mek
Here is two another possiblities if everyone is willing to go this way. 
1.) We can split the record keeping between all the company commanders, each one of them would be set to not pay equipment, parts or salary, mainly just used just for repairs and keeping track of thier personal. But I will still need a commander that will have a ether a command lance or company that they use that are set up like the others and a master file that has everyone in the Battalion/Regiment. The master file will be used to keep track of salvage, funds and contracts. The commander could then dish out parts and ammo as needed.

2.) We split the command up into completely seprate groups.  The commander still deals with negoations and setting up the missions, but each command will basicly be running its self.  This means each group will be responsible for its own repairs, Medical staff, transport and salaries.  These groups could be further subdivided if people want to give out Lance commands to new players. 

To anwser your two questions, Depending on the number of missing in a given week/month(I have a system I use to figure out enemies based on mission type), you could have anywhere between a day to a week to get repairs done. 
Each of the pilots are able to have special abilities, its all based on the EXP gained, you can use them on what every you want.

I will still need a commander to help set everything up before we start.
(09-06-2012, 08:16 PM)Knighttrap link Wrote: Here is two another possiblities if everyone is willing to go this way. 
1.) We can split the record keeping between all the company commanders, each one of them would be set to not pay equipment, parts or salary, mainly just used just for repairs and keeping track of thier personal. But I will still need a commander that will have a ether a command lance or company that they use that are set up like the others and a master file that has everyone in the Battalion/Regiment. The master file will be used to keep track of salvage, funds and contracts. The commander could then dish out parts and ammo as needed.

2.) We split the command up into completely seprate groups.  The commander still deals with negoations and setting up the missions, but each command will basicly be running its self.  This means each group will be responsible for its own repairs, Medical staff, transport and salaries.  These groups could be further subdivided if people want to give out Lance commands to new players. 

To anwser your two questions, Depending on the number of missing in a given week/month(I have a system I use to figure out enemies based on mission type), you could have anywhere between a day to a week to get repairs done. 
Each of the pilots are able to have special abilities, its all based on the EXP gained, you can use them on what every you want.

I will still need a commander to help set everything up before we start.

Being very experienced at running these types of campaigns myself, I'll offer some pointers.

Pointer 1. Screw these.

Pointer 2. Instead of manually editing MUL files, you simply create a "scenario" for each subunit (each player's set of units) and use the GET MUL button for each of them. Then you also resolve them separately with the salvage MUL from each one going with it as well.

Pointer 3. Use my custom SVN releases. Try the last 2 of them to find out which works best for you.
Please excuse my ignorance, SVN?

Thanks for the pointers.  I agree it would probably be more of a pain in the ass to try to split the mul than its worth.  If someone isn't willing to run the commander spot(willing to do the repairs and logisics for the unit), running sperate sessions of MekHQ is probably my best bet to start the campain.  Personally I would rather not have to do that, but not everyone is as into doing the "boring" logistics side of battletech as I am. 

Also, please don't take this the wrong way. I would like to offer a little constructive criticism.  When you offer pointers/suggestions to someones idea it doesn't help your creditablity by starting your pointers with "Screw these".  I know that no malace was ment in your statement, but some people could take offense to this as their ideas are stupid. This could in turn have them not read the rest of your post.  I know from reading several of your posts you are just trying to help, so I took no offense to it.  I just thought I would bring it up. 

Thanks for your suggestions.  ;D
He meant screw his own pointers. :Smile  And, hey, it is a free country (at least USA) and you don't have to do anything you don't want to.

The SVN build is a development version even more new than the one on the downloads page. Eventually the downloads page will get a new dev version, but the cutting edge is the SVN version. ralgith has a post where he links the SVN build he uses.

I also second doing multiple scenarios and then assigning Lances/whatever (even individual units if you want) to each scenario. Though I am a noob with MekHQ. Just started like 2 weeks ago.
I can see that how that could have been intended.  :o  I appoligize if I came off like an ass.  I took no offense on how I interupted his response. 

Are the SVNs also posted on the download pages or somewhere else.  Can I get a link to them if they are?

Another idea, if I can get some willing people, is for me to run as commander of the unit. But I would need some people that would be willing to run as OpFor for the missions.  I really like running the admin side of MekHQ so I wouldn't have any problem being the commander.  But I would perfer not running the merc and playing as its enemies. 

Whats the feed back on that?
Sounds like fun, not really interested in being the Commander, but would be interested in playing.
Actually I did mean it to refer to knighttraps options. But in an "off the cuff, these just aren't good because you're over thinking the problem" way, not as rudeness. Wink I'm very well aware that I can come off abrasive at times, but I'm a blunt person by nature and I just don't have time to baby people. Sometimes people's ego is just too big, and when I encounter a person like that who can't handle my bluntness I just stop helping them. It isn't a loss to me after all. On the flip side, I don't mind the same kinda bluntness in return. Ask Jayof9s how many times he's called me out when I'm being an idiot and overlooking something simple Big Grin

As for the blunt responses earlier... in other words, when much simpler solutions are available don't go for the complex ones. I see this all the time, usually because people just don't realize the simpler solution exists.
OK... well I hope I don't regret this... but I will step up and try to do the command position. I am capable of doing it, I just don't want to do the tons of rolling for repairs and too much bookkeeping, but since I do have some availability at this time, I can go ahead and give it a try. Where do you want me to start?

-Mek
Sorry about not responding all weekend.  It was long and hellish  :'(

(09-07-2012, 08:02 PM)ralgith link Wrote: Actually I did mean it to refer to knighttraps options. But in an "off the cuff, these just aren't good because you're over thinking the problem" way, not as rudeness. Wink I'm very well aware that I can come off abrasive at times, but I'm a blunt person by nature and I just don't have time to baby people. Sometimes people's ego is just too big, and when I encounter a person like that who can't handle my bluntness I just stop helping them. It isn't a loss to me after all. On the flip side, I don't mind the same kinda bluntness in return. Ask Jayof9s how many times he's called me out when I'm being an idiot and overlooking something simple Big Grin

As for the blunt responses earlier... in other words, when much simpler solutions are available don't go for the complex ones. I see this all the time, usually because people just don't realize the simpler solution exists.

No hard feelings at all.  I perfer that kind of bluntness, as long as you can back it up with facts Smile  I also tend to over a lot of simpler routes on things.  Please feel free to keep the pointers coming.  My biggest issue is ether finding someone who likes the logistics side as much as me or split the game up between several MekHQ groups.
I'm interested in this, and would be willing to be the commander.  I already was running a campaign like this previously, so it'd be nice to play instead.

(09-09-2012, 12:10 AM)Mekslayer link Wrote: OK... well I hope I don't regret this... but I will step up and try to do the command position. I am capable of doing it, I just don't want to do the tons of rolling for repairs and too much bookkeeping, but since I do have some availability at this time, I can go ahead and give it a try. Where do you want me to start?

-Mek

Mek/Epic, I leave this up to you on who wants to be the commander.   1)We can run the thing as one MekHQ set up that you will run(repairs, parts, contracts) or 2)we can have each player set up a MekHQ that will deal with there own Repairs and parts.  Each person will set up there own contract based on what you negotiate.  

The size and the book keeping I leave up to you.   Any time you have some time this week I'd like to get together and we can set up the basics for the Unit, and from there set up your first contact.

-Knight
Ohh, here is an FYI as well for everyone wanting to play.  From the looks of it there is a lot of intrest in this campain.  I'm looking at running games once, maybe twice a week, that means with the number of people playing it might be several weeks between games for people(really don't want to bog it down into more than a company on company fight). 

If there are people intrested in playing, but would be willing to be OpFor for this campain, let me know and I'll add you to my list to run battles.

I'm currently working on a place so that players can get together instead of the forums, I've got access to a Ventrilo channel, but also looking for some other places.  Once I get the commander set up finished, I'll start sending out invites for the game.

Thanks for all the instest.

-Knight

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Solaris campain Bczretribution 0 291 12-29-2017, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Bczretribution
  Hello all! looking to join a campaign that I can play a merc/merc commander in. krouzerstar 5 975 01-20-2017, 04:42 PM
Last Post: Epic
  new player looking to join a campain xhanatos 12 2,963 05-28-2013, 10:33 PM
Last Post: xhanatos
  New Campain : Kentares IV Inemorphis 4 2,547 05-21-2012, 01:43 PM
Last Post: Garret Rand