Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Merc Campain Set in the early 3000s
I'm cool with however y'all want it organized, though I'm not outrageously experienced with aerospace forces.  So will this be a thing where our entire company fights alone against the OpFor or will we be selecting units to fight in missions with other members of our merc force?  I know for myself I would like to work with other people on my team at least somewhat, but whatever is decided by those in charge is fine. 
It'd be cool to have a couple missions that are cooperative, but as per the campaign OP, I think we'll be trying to not have games much bigger than company on company - so, if you do have multiple players against the opfor, it'd be 2 or 3 lances combined vs a company or so probably. 

Aero is always a touchy one.  I'll give you more info as I discuss more.  Ideally, I think that those other elements will remain on an assignment basis, or - as is the case with folks like you - played by another player even if they're more comfortable flying the aero elements.  I'm getting used to it, for instance, but I bet there are still folks that have lots more air to ground experience than me. 

Meanwhile, I love playing the PBI and the armour.  Smile
I'm not really experienced with having multiple people running on the same side with megamek.  If Epic can split it I'm cool with how ever he sets stuff up.  He will be given a list of missing each week and will work with everyone to decide which units are going to be in missions. 

As an FYI, I will be posting two things on here over the next 2 days.  The first will be a list of the mechs that will be in this campain.  The list will also show which House each Mech is attached to.  A sperate list will also be put together for Aero fighters and Vehicles.
Secondly I will be putting a text file up that has all the options we will be using in MM.  This is the list of things you will need to check and uncheck for how I'm running the campain. Yes we will be using SO quirks.
I should have something up in the next day or so.

-Knight
(09-12-2012, 03:01 PM)Epic link Wrote: It depends - what I was looking at was having each of you have a mech company, and then a separate armour/infantry battalion that would have forces attached as per needed/objectives required. 
If you would instead like your company to be combined arms integrally, we can work with that too, I imagine. 

Either way is fine by me.  I just like having tanks and infantry on the field as it adds more variety.
(09-12-2012, 03:43 PM)hrerek link Wrote: I'm cool with however y'all want it organized, though I'm not outrageously experienced with aerospace forces.  So will this be a thing where our entire company fights alone against the OpFor or will we be selecting units to fight in missions with other members of our merc force?  I know for myself I would like to work with other people on my team at least somewhat, but whatever is decided by those in charge is fine. 

I've done a bit with AF on the ground map but I haven't played any AF in space battles myself.  Is anyone else participating in this more familiar with either of these aspects of MM?  If so, care to run some of us through some 'training missions'?  If we're all equally ignorant, we could still organize some MM training, it'll just be a bit more trial-and-error (probably heavy on the error to start).
I am pretty familiar with running Aero assets on the ground map, so I can volunteer to run the AS units if needed.

Though because of the complexity of running AS units on the ground map, I would recommend not having more than 2 Aero fighters on each side for any given battle. With all the possible maneuvers to use, it generally takes 3-4 times longer to move a Aero fighter than it does to move a mech.

I like how this is shaping up... but besides posting on these boards... what are the other ways we can stay in touch with each other?  Does anyone else use any IM frequently (AIM,YIM, MSN, icq, Google talk)?

What methods of contact do you recommend KT?

-Mek
I've got AIM and Yahoo IM.  I can use AIM at work, but all the other IM services I have to download something and they frown on that. AIM username is Knighttrap@aol.com I will start leaving it up at work.  Also, feel free to contact me at my gmail account Knighttrap3050@gmail.com as I leave that open while I'm at work.  I'm getting a Ventrilo channel set up for us as well. 

As for the Aerospace, besides needing the occasional air support.  More of the Aerospace use will be used as support for dropship landing.  With a force that is now around regimental size, it would be a lot harder to sneak dropships onto a planet without sometimes having to deal with a fighter screen.

From the looks of it Epic and me are on the same mind in setting up the unit, and I agree with Mek, this is turning out to looking like a lot of fun. 

-Knight
As an FYI, Epic and myself are getting into the starting stages of building the unit.  If you have any request on your company I would post something so Epic can work to that goal.  Also for anyone interested in joining the campain, let us know.  This is looking to be one hell of a fun campain. 

-Knight
I don't know if this is what you meant, but I'll take any Whitworths you may roll up!!   Smile  Also was wondering about special munitions, like inferno and thunder munitions.  Will they be allowed?  If so I'll take all the 2H Shadow Hawks  as well!!  Wink
Don't worry... I'll be buying infernos.  However, for the era, Thunder munitions won't really be available.

In fact, it'll pretty well be only flak, tracer and inferno munitions available for the era if I were to think about it. 

And yes, PLEASE let me know if you have requests or ideas for your unit.  As it will be random, I can't promise that I will be able to give you everything you want, but I'll give it my best to provide you with something.

So, basically, if you want one of your three lances to be a recon lance, for instance, or a heavy lance, let me know. 
Well if you couldn't tell I'm a fan of fire support style, so I wouldn't mind having a good number of that style mech.  Something along the lines of bodyguard mechs and pursuit style mechs might be nice to round things out. 
For my own part, I like a fairly well-rounded company.  So, one lance each of Recon, Fire Support and Line of Battle.
I wouldn't mind at all being a support style company for the merc command.  I'm a fan of tanks and PBIs as well.
Oh and I would be willing to take some of the more questionable mechs.  1A1 Chargers and 3E Banshees are pretty decent close assault bodyguards for fire support units.  Oh and I would do dangerous things for a Grasshopper . . .
Wow, lots of options...

there are a variety of mechs I like... but if there are any "Royals" rolled, I would take em...

I do tend to prefer heavier units, but any variety is good.

-Mek
Hey guys, sorry didn't get you the list of mechs yesterday.  As I was writting it up had a bunch of friends came over and we had a hell of a night.  As soon as I get home from work I will be sending it out, as I only have 2 mechs left to put on the list.  To give you an idea what you will be looking at, there are 75 mechs on the list so, plenty of verity.  They include almost all of the unseen, the Ostscout will not be in there as I have a irrational hatred of it and all its kind.  Smile  It also includes the intro box set along with the old City Tech mech, the basic set for Battletech once the unseen are band. There will also be to mechs that won't be technicly from this time period but we will be using them as well, WLF-1 Wolfhound and CTF-1X Cataphract.

Also all of these are their standard configs.  You are welcome to work with Epic and customize the mechs bases on Alt Configs.  But I got with this list and configs when I'm running these old games as it helps simplify logistics and procurement. 
mwahahaha.  Warning, warning!  Refits of mechs once the game begins are very slow as per mekhq.  So... if that custom mech gets blown away, be aware that a new custom may take 6 months to do the refit, barring it being a relatively minor refit.  I've done this a few times now... replace a few weapons, it doesn't take long.  Change the armour/engine/major weapons swap/heat sinks and it takes MONTHS. 

I am saddened at the loss of my beloved ostscout, one of my all-time fave mechs, but will survive. 

As for me, the commander, I will let y'all know right now that should we roll up either a Banshee 3E or a Shadowhawk 2H, I exercise Commander Prerogative on that as my command mech.  Otherwise, I will probably take as many of the odder/cruddier designs for my command group, to leave you folks with better mechs for your options (yes, I know most people think that Banshee is a cruddy design too... well, I like it.  So there!). 
LOL, I wouldn't be caught dead in Banshee 3E, although you guys can roll for one. Smile  And I'm afraid if I saw an Ostscout on the I would run into the middle of a box canyon with major supporting fire just to kick the damn thing to death.  And in the end, as I was lieing there dead, it would be totaly worth it. 

And I'm sorry, I will be braking someone's heart over this, but the Charger is not in my RATS.  Out of the 75 Mechs in my RATS. Only 10 of them are Assault Class(2 for each House). 

What I can't wait to see is who is going to get all of House Liao's favorite step child, UrbanMechs. 

-Knight
(09-14-2012, 12:26 PM)Knighttrap link Wrote: LOL, I wouldn't be caught dead in Banshee 3E, although you guys can roll for one. Smile  And I'm afraid if I saw an Ostscout on the I would run into the middle of a box canyon with major supporting fire just to kick the damn thing to death.  And in the end, as I was lieing there dead, it would be totaly worth it. 

And I'm sorry, I will be braking someone's heart over this, but the Charger is not in my RATS.  Out of the 75 Mechs in my RATS. Only 10 of them are Assault Class(2 for each House). 

What I can't wait to see is who is going to get all of House Liao's favorite step child, UrbanMechs. 

-Knight

Heh.  Maybe I'll include them all in my command lance... urbies and banshees.  Mwahahahahah
Dude, Banshees and Urbies rock my boat all day and all night!!!!!  And ok, as commander you can have the first 2H, but I claim the Whitworths . . . if they let me.  I would also love a Wolfhound if one shows.  Oh and I love quads - MULE KICK SNEAK ATTACK!!!!!!  But in all reality, you don't need to take all the "substandard designs," those are really fun to play!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Solaris campain Bczretribution 0 285 12-29-2017, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Bczretribution
  Hello all! looking to join a campaign that I can play a merc/merc commander in. krouzerstar 5 953 01-20-2017, 04:42 PM
Last Post: Epic
  new player looking to join a campain xhanatos 12 2,916 05-28-2013, 10:33 PM
Last Post: xhanatos
  New Campain : Kentares IV Inemorphis 4 2,536 05-21-2012, 01:43 PM
Last Post: Garret Rand