Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Against the bot rules.
I'm sure Makinus will love it when you're done with it.  CAN'T WAIT!
To expand on my thoughts for the functionality of this application...

It's really meant to be an aid, and not something that is going to do everything. Like Ralgith mentioned, MegaMek can be used to make random armies, and has a lot of excellent RAT tables built in.

In the first screen shot you can see the info I'm generating and giving to you:

Skill Rating: Green, Regular, etc and the Gunnery/Piloting skill.
The origin of the MechWarrior
The advantage if they start with one
and weight class of mech they start with

The idea is I give you the basic information you need, and you can use the RAT tables in MegaMek to roll the specific Mech you get, based on origin and weight class.

With the stats for MW's and Support personnel you can hire them in MekHQ and just use GM mode to modify their stats as you go.
(09-10-2012, 08:32 PM)Bonepart link Wrote: [quote author=ralgith link=topic=929.msg5419#msg5419 date=1347321593]
Ok, this isn't meant to be condescending or anything like that... but:

1. Looks like Windows Only Software, which defeats the cross platform nature of what we do here.
2. You're re-inventing the wheel since we already have random force generation built into MegaMek.

Actually it's written in C#, so with Mono I can compile it to work cross platform. Granted, I haven't tried that yet.

As for #2, I think you missed the point, or maybe I wasn't very clear. This is for generating your starting company using the rules and tables from the Against-the-Bot Campaign.

I could code it in Java, but after a brief look at the language I decided to stay with C#. I find the idea of requiring a separate file for every public class very off putting. I'm sure there is a reason for it, but for right now I'm happy with C# Smile
[/quote]

Ok Wink
C# code does usually require some tweaks to be compiled under Mono, but still a good thing.

And no, I didn't get that from your post... glad you clarified. I'd still roll on the Xotl tables by hand for that though... or use the Xotl tables from within MegaMek to generate and then import into MekHQ.

As for Java requiring each public class to have its own file... I kinda like that. It makes the source easier to manage, in large projects especially. In point of fact, I've always organized my source into multiple files going back to my early days of programming in C - which I learned so that I could write my own MUD (based on CircleMUD) which was already split by what each portion of code was meant to do.

Anywho... get this compiled in Mono and I'll test it on Linux for ya Big Grin
My apologies. Is easy to forget that people aren't mind readers  Smile

Edit: My first draft is pretty much complete. I just need to make a few icons to pretty up the tree, and see about compiling it through Mono. I can work on both of those when I get home  ;D

Here is the first version of my Force Generation program.

For those on Windows and don't have .Net you'll need this.

On Linux you'll need Mono.

Eventually I'm going to add some Icons to the MechWarrior tree to help identify information and make it pretty, but I suck at making graphics so that can wait a few days.

Edit: My plan for today is to see about making a write up to include with it, to explain some of what it is doing and all the features.

Anyone have any feedback on the current build?

Attached Files
.zip   Campaign Force Generation.zip (Size: 12.58 KB / Downloads: 8)
Haven't had a chance to look at it yet, will let you know as soon as I do though.
I finally got to check this out today, after upgrading the version of Mono I had installed. Bonepart you should note in your description whenever you release this that it requires Mono 2.8 or newer, with 2.10 recommended.

I also have a few suggestions:
Option to allow for dispossed mechwarriors instead of starting them all with mechs
Have the Random MW Origin option on by default

Big Grin

Other than that, its working great and I'm running it under Linux.
(09-12-2012, 11:30 AM)ralgith link Wrote: I finally got to check this out today, after upgrading the version of Mono I had installed. Bonepart you should note in your description whenever you release this that it requires Mono 2.8 or newer, with 2.10 recommended.

I also have a few suggestions:
Option to allow for dispossed mechwarriors instead of starting them all with mechs
Have the Random MW Origin option on by default

Big Grin

Other than that, its working great and I'm running it under Linux.

Good point about calling out the version required. I might play with it and try changing it to an older version of .Net so you don't have to have the latest and greatest version of .Net & Mono.

I actually am allowing for dispossed MechWarriors, it's just very subtle. For any MW that rolls dispossed I just don't include the Mech information under them. I was trying to save on vertical space by not including info that didn't apply. No Origin information if you went with the default Merc background, etc. It may actually be better to call it out explicitly and say 'Dispossed'. I'll change it for the next release.

Thank you for the feedback. I've never distributed any of my work before, so having to worry about dependencies is new to me.
I'm not a coder by any stretch of the imagination, but as an end user I have a couple of questions:

Are you going to incorporate Mech assignments into the generator?  Currently there's a spreadsheet (I've attached it for reference) that does it for 3025, some additional editing of the formula's and RAT tables could make it work for every era.

What is your final vision of the program?  Would I, as a user, be able to open it, change settings (Era, size, etc), click and create a unit, then export it as an .mul file to load into MekHQ?  Because that would be very cool. 

Its a very good first couple of steps, thanks for doing it.  :-)

Davout

Attached Files
.7z   3025MechCoCreate.7z (Size: 83.62 KB / Downloads: 4)
(09-12-2012, 12:57 PM)Davout73 link Wrote: I'm not a coder by any stretch of the imagination, but as an end user I have a couple of questions:

Are you going to incorporate Mech assignments into the generator?  Currently there's a spreadsheet (I've attached it for reference) that does it for 3025, some additional editing of the formula's and RAT tables could make it work for every era.

What is your final vision of the program?  Would I, as a user, be able to open it, change settings (Era, size, etc), click and create a unit, then export it as an .mul file to load into MekHQ?  Because that would be very cool.  

Its a very good first couple of steps, thanks for doing it.  :-)

Davout

Sadly I wont  be able to look at your spreedsheet until I get home tonight. My work pc can only handle .zip files.

The idea behind this program is to provide a tool to make starter company generation for a new Against-the-Bot Campaign a little bit faster. With the huge number of RAT's built into MegaMek already, and the amount of custom Tables people use, it seemed like a better idea to determine the weight class of the mech (and optionally the tech rating) and give that to the user. Then they can roll for the specific mech in MegaMek or against their own table. That keeps my program Era Independant.

I could probably set up an option to import and use a specific RAT from a spreedsheet or text file. It's a possibility. If I did so it should be possible for me to save mechs rolled off that table into a mul file. The issue there is that the AtB rules likes to tie your starting people to their starting mechs, and that would be tricky unless I could include the pilots, although I think that issue could be worked around.

As far as building a mul file with the MechWarriors and Support Personnel, I don't think that would work since I'm only rolling up the base stats for them. It could be done if there was a tag I could put in the mul file that told MekHQ to autogenerate a name/gender for the unit. Otherwise I just duplicate work that MegaMek & MekHQ does very well.

The idea is that when you start your campaign you look at what was generated and Custom Hire the people that it generated, changing the Gunnery/Piloting, Advantages, etc. MekHQ provides the names and gender, plus you can pick the portraits.

I welcome any thoughts and ideas Smile

Edit: I suppose I should rename it to make clear that it is meant to be used with the Against-the-Bot rules. I have a seperate program I made that will generate a company via the rules in StratOps (but again only giving Mech Weight Class, instead of giving a specific one).

Edit Edit: I would like to build a program that would track and do the rolls for each phase, but don't want to get into any of that without talking to Makinus first (assuming I can ever get my registration approved for those forums). That and I'd need to actually play a bit first to get an understanding of how the campaign works.
Might be able to attach just the file, let me see...

From a user point of view, Ideally I'd like to have a program that would allow me to select the era, then my affiliation (House, Clan, Merc, Pirate) then generate the pilots, class, and mechs, then be able to export that data into a .mul file that can be imported in to MekHQ (Of course, in an ideal world MekHQ would do that :-) ).  That said I am more than willing to playtest and provide feedback on anything offered. 

Thanks for the quick reply!

Dav

Attached Files
.zip   Mercenary Company Creation 3025.zip (Size: 48.68 KB / Downloads: 11)
(09-12-2012, 01:46 PM)Davout73 link Wrote: From a user point of view, Ideally I'd like to have a program that would allow me to select the era, then my affiliation (House, Clan, Merc, Pirate) then generate the pilots, class, and mechs, then be able to export that data into a .mul file that can be imported in to MekHQ.

That would be pretty tough because of the shear number of RAT tables that exist. I'm not as familiar with the BattleTech Lore and History as I'd like to be. I think it could be done, but would be a fairly major undertaking. An Ideal to work towards perhaps.

MegaMek has it's RAT and Name data in nice text files, so it would be possible to read them, if Ralgith and the other Devs didn't mind me doing so.

In the short term I can work on generating Pilot & Personnel names, and maybe have a spot to enter the mech names you roll so I can save them all to a mul file to import in MekHQ. I still need to take a look at the mul format.

For the long term, if we could get some of the RATs catagorized by era it should be possible to let the user select an era and have the program narrow it down to a few RATs per affiliation, maybe based on Tech Rating.

Thanks for changing the spreedsheet to a zip file. I'll look it over.
As a test, I generated some random mechs in MegaMek, saved them, and then loaded the mul into a new campaign in MekHQ.

The mechs imported fine, but none of the pilots did. I'm guessing MekHQ only matches pilots in the mul to existing pilots in the campaign file. If that is the case I wont be able to import the MechWarriors and Support Personnel that my program rolls up.
No prob on the file.  :-)

Xotl's RAT files are on excel spreadsheets, would those be easier to modify and incorporate?

Dav

(09-12-2012, 03:21 PM)Bonepart link Wrote: [quote author=Davout73 link=topic=929.msg5454#msg5454 date=1347471974]
From a user point of view, Ideally I'd like to have a program that would allow me to select the era, then my affiliation (House, Clan, Merc, Pirate) then generate the pilots, class, and mechs, then be able to export that data into a .mul file that can be imported in to MekHQ.

That would be pretty tough because of the shear number of RAT tables that exist. I'm not as familiar with the BattleTech Lore and History as I'd like to be. I think it could be done, but would be a fairly major undertaking. An Ideal to work towards perhaps.

MegaMek has it's RAT and Name data in nice text files, so it would be possible to read them, if Ralgith and the other Devs didn't mind me doing so.

In the short term I can work on generating Pilot & Personnel names, and maybe have a spot to enter the mech names you roll so I can save them all to a mul file to import in MekHQ. I still need to take a look at the mul format.

For the long term, if we could get some of the RATs catagorized by era it should be possible to let the user select an era and have the program narrow it down to a few RATs per affiliation, maybe based on Tech Rating.

Thanks for changing the spreedsheet to a zip file. I'll look it over.
[/quote]
(09-12-2012, 03:38 PM)Davout73 link Wrote: No prob on the file.  :-)

Xotl's RAT files are on excel spreadsheets, would those be easier to modify and incorporate?

Dav

It's more about knowing which RAT to use when.

If User picks such-and-such era Then use this set of RATs.

I'm afraid I don't know enough to make those kind of calls. If a standard could be come up with that most people would agree to, I could certainly code for it. Ideally you would define the era and have 1 RAT per affiliation per era, although you could have 1 RAT per Tech Rating per affiliation per era.

Reguarding my last post up above, according to the MekHQ Readme it sounds like Manage -> Load Units from Mul should bring in the Pilots, but it doesn't seem to be. Could be a bug.

Edit: It is a bug.
It would have to be a selection choice when generating.  But there would have to be an agreed upon standard. At this point, I have no idea what that standard could be...
(09-12-2012, 03:38 PM)Davout73 link Wrote: No prob on the file.  :-)

They're also in MegaMek.  Look under data\rat\Unofficial.
Bonepart:

I suspect you'd be better off simply allowing the users to organize the rats in their own way.  Allow them to create a titled list (say 3028) and start adding file names.  You can then save off that list into a text file to be re-loaded whenever the user wants.  That way you don't have to worry about someone disagreeing with your categorizations.  Heck, you could get an enterprising user to create a set of 'default' rat organization files and save yourself some work.
(09-12-2012, 05:19 PM)Netzilla link Wrote: Bonepart:

I suspect you'd be better off simply allowing the users to organize the rats in their own way.  Allow them to create a titled list (say 3028) and start adding file names.  You can then save off that list into a text file to be re-loaded whenever the user wants.  That way you don't have to worry about someone disagreeing with your categorizations.  Heck, you could get an enterprising user to create a set of 'default' rat organization files and save yourself some work.

Thats a good point, although you have them really nicely broken down in MegaMek. I somehow missed the unofficial folder when I looked through there earlier.

How did you break down his source tables into tables based on Tech Rating?
On Xotl's Spreadsheet, at the very end, are a couple of tab's, Random Mech generator and Random Mech Table.

User enters data on either one and the formulas take care of the rest:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/357573/3028-3050...MECHS.xlsx

Dav

(09-12-2012, 05:34 PM)Bonepart link Wrote: [quote author=Netzilla link=topic=929.msg5465#msg5465 date=1347484741]
Bonepart:

Thats a good point, although you have them really nicely broken down in MegaMek. I somehow missed the unofficial folder when I looked through there earlier.

How did you break down his source tables into tables based on Tech Rating?
[/quote]