Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Against the bot rules.
(09-12-2012, 05:42 PM)Davout73 link Wrote: On Xotl's Spreadsheet, at the very end, are a couple of tab's, Random Mech generator and Random Mech Table.

User enters data on either one and the formulas take care of the rest:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/357573/3028-3050...MECHS.xlsx

Dav

Ah. I have the PDF version. Work is being fascist and wont let me download that spreadsheet, but I'm leaving in 10 minutes anyway. I'll take a look after I cut the grass tonight  ;D
WOW. That spreadsheet will be very easy to work with. That'll give me the basic yardstick.

If work is as slow as it has been, I should be able to get a decent amount done tomorrow.

My first task will probably be to write a converter to take the Excel spreadsheet and write it out as something easier and faster to read and process, xml maybe. Then anytime Xotl releases a new version I can run it through the converter and then let people take the file and replace the old one.

Once I get the RATs working I can work on writing out the MUL file.
I myself would love to see something for running the campaign and I'm certain Makinus would too.  I would suggest some sort of extra modifier positive and negative be open so if for particular reasons to that campaign or that contract a "personal" modifier could be put in.  Makinus would love it since he's still tweaking the rules and would allow him to not only run his beta campaigns more easily, but also add in the modifiers for any new rules or changes to the old ones.
My first post in this forum!

As pfarland said, the ruleset is still somewhat number-intensive, with lots of rolls that consume some time and could be automated... i´m aware of some excel files made by Kwic to automate some of the campaign (sadly they are somewhat out-of-date from current AtB rules) and a very useful set of excel formulas made by Sandslice (i particularly like his Market Generator)... the main problem is that the ruleset keeps getting bigger and each time MekHQ updates we tweak it some more to use new resources from MekHQ or Megamek...

Instead of a giant app that would run an entire campaign, maybe a series of small apps that would tackle parts of the ruleset would be more feasible...

But the main need right now is to better organize the ruleset... the rules are somewhat disorganized (my fault)... and there is still a lot of spelling errors and old rules that need to be better integrated on the system...

I'm more of an idea and proofing guy.  No clue on coding (haven't taken the time to learn) but if someone points me in a direction, I'll do what I can.
Finally got around to looking at it.  Awesome work man!  REALLY can't wait to see more! 
(09-12-2012, 07:53 PM)Makinus link Wrote: My first post in this forum!

As pfarland said, the ruleset is still somewhat number-intensive, with lots of rolls that consume some time and could be automated... i´m aware of some excel files made by Kwic to automate some of the campaign (sadly they are somewhat out-of-date from current AtB rules) and a very useful set of excel formulas made by Sandslice (i particularly like his Market Generator)... the main problem is that the ruleset keeps getting bigger and each time MekHQ updates we tweak it some more to use new resources from MekHQ or Megamek...

Instead of a giant app that would run an entire campaign, maybe a series of small apps that would tackle parts of the ruleset would be more feasible...

But the main need right now is to better organize the ruleset... the rules are somewhat disorganized (my fault)... and there is still a lot of spelling errors and old rules that need to be better integrated on the system...

Hello!

A series of small apps is certainly possible. We could have a kind of "Toolbox" app that can launch various modules to handle different parts of the rules.

As far as organizing the rules, maybe you could move the write up and explanation to a text/word file with references to the tables in the spreadsheet. That kind of step by step write up would really help me on whichever section I worked on. Just a thought  ;D

Glad you joined here, I didn't want to do to much without your input  Smile

(09-13-2012, 01:30 AM)pfarland link Wrote: Finally got around to looking at it.  Awesome work man!  REALLY can't wait to see more! 

Thanks!
The Converter is finished, as long as I don't decide to make format changes later Big Grin

Anyone good with graphics and willing to make me some small 16x16 icons? I have a couple that turned out ok, but for the most part I'm having a hard time getting them to look good.
(09-13-2012, 04:33 PM)Bonepart link Wrote: The Converter is finished, as long as I don't decide to make format changes later Big Grin

Anyone good with graphics and willing to make me some small 16x16 icons? I have a couple that turned out ok, but for the most part I'm having a hard time getting them to look good.

I suggest using 24x24 and, when needed, scaling them down. I find this gets the best results.
I'm about to start coding. I figure any updates I want to made I'll just edit into this post. Hopefully by the end of the day I'll have another version to show, and that I'll put into it's own post.

(09-12-2012, 01:46 PM)Davout73 link Wrote: From a user point of view, Ideally I'd like to have a program that would allow me to select the era, then my affiliation (House, Clan, Merc, Pirate) then generate the pilots, class, and mechs, then be able to export that data into a .mul file that can be imported in to MekHQ.

Looks like this is exactly what you are going to get. Today I should be able to get the first part of that laid out, and once I get the framework down I'll see about saving it out to a .mul file (this will probably be next week).

Unfortunatly, until the bug is fixed in MekHQ that prevents it from reading in Pilots you'll only be able to bring in the Mechs.

Edit #1: When I say you can choose by era, I'm actually thinking I'll list out the years that I have tables for from the spreadsheet. For the range of years he has grouped together I'll add those tables to the individual years the range covers. That is my current plan.

Edit #2: This will be close. It's knocked together pretty well, I just need to write the code to do the actual rolls on the RATs. I may be able to get it done before I go home at 5.
Rules update!  Mainly just battle stuff.

Attached Files
.zip   rules_2.25.zip (Size: 91.71 KB / Downloads: 5)
See what you guys think of it now. It's still a little rough as I haven't written in the checks for Salvage or Isorla rolls yet, but I don't expect to have any trouble with rolling on different tables for Salvage. MUL functionality isn't in yet either.

Advanced mode is the default and runs the new code. Basic is pretty much what it did before, although it's a little hacked up atm. I'll clean that up later.

Edit to remove file. Get it from the post down below
(09-14-2012, 05:10 PM)Bonepart link Wrote: See what you guys think of it now. It's still a little rough as I haven't written in the checks for Salvage or Isorla rolls yet, but I don't expect to have any trouble with rolling on different tables for Salvage. MUL functionality isn't in yet either.

Advanced mode is the default and runs the new code. Basic is pretty much what it did before, although it's a little hacked up atm. I'll clean that up later.

This new version no longer works correctly under Mono (at least not on Linux) because it complains that it can't find the RAT files. I'm going to assume you've got your path settings Windows specific instead of universal. If so you'll need to read the Mono docs to see the proper way to do it.
Sorry about that. I forgot about the path separator issues. Should be fixed now.

I didn't worry about renaming the files this time.

Edit to remove file. Get it from the post down below.
Still says RAT files aren't present. Thanks for trying though Wink
(09-14-2012, 07:56 PM)ralgith link Wrote: Still says RAT files aren't present. Thanks for trying though Wink

That's what I get for being in a rush. I'll get it fixed!

Edit: MoMA doesn't see any problems, but it wont work for me either  :-[

I changed the \ I had to system generated path separators, but it's acting like it can't read the files. I have code that checks for the RAT directory and is supposed to pop up a message if it doesn't find it and kick you back out of the Company Options window.

Edit: I'm making some progress. Looks like the path is ok, but seems like Directory.EnumerateFiles() doesn't want to work. It's the method I use to read the RAT files to populate the Era dropdown.

On the plus side, it should work for anyone using windows  ^_^;
Ok! I think I licked it!

I changed Directory.EnumerateFiles() to Directory.GetFiles()  :Smile

It acts right under Mono in Windows now.

(09-14-2012, 09:36 PM)Bonepart link Wrote: Ok! I think I licked it!

I changed Directory.EnumerateFiles() to Directory.GetFiles()  :Smile

Still a no-go under Linux Mono. Post that section of code and maybe I can help Wink
(09-14-2012, 11:37 PM)ralgith link Wrote: [quote author=Bonepart link=topic=929.msg5523#msg5523 date=1347673004]
Ok! I think I licked it!

I changed Directory.EnumerateFiles() to Directory.GetFiles()  :Smile

Still a no-go under Linux Mono. Post that section of code and maybe I can help Wink
[/quote]

And, it seems to work OK if I run it using mono-sgen instead of mono - not sure what the issue could possibly be though.
(09-14-2012, 11:42 PM)ralgith link Wrote: And, it seems to work OK if I run it using mono-sgen instead of mono - not sure what the issue could possibly be though.

That is bizarre. I looked up SGen and it's just a garbage collector. What is it doing when it doesn't work under regular Mono?