Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Making a mekwars server
I was going to post a question on the MegaMekNET forums but I'm still waiting to get the account approved. I've been searching for some information on how to fire up a MekWars server but haven't really found much of anything to go by aside from one How To and it was more geared towards running it on a Linux box.

I'm not looking for handouts but some general guidelines or links to other info that I can pour over so I can learn how to make my own server.

Thanks again and I'll keep searching.
(10-23-2012, 02:19 PM)antros link Wrote:I was going to post a question on the MegaMekNET forums but I'm still waiting to get the account approved. I've been searching for some information on how to fire up a MekWars server but haven't really found much of anything to go by aside from one How To and it was more geared towards running it on a Linux box.

I'm not looking for handouts but some general guidelines or links to other info that I can pour over so I can learn how to make my own server.

Since this is java, most of what is in any HowTo should be portable to other platforms. But really there isn't much to it. Download the Mekwars files from SF, build a client package (maps and such) and then run the server package. After that you just need to distribute your client package.

Of course, that doesn't tell you how to handle all the settings for the server side of things, but that depends on exactly what you plan to do as it can involve (last time I did it) hand editing XML files and such. Good luck.
That's the type of stuff I'm talking about, the xml files and building the packages, just trying to figure out where all the settings are. I'll keep messing with it, thanks for the reply.
Unfortunately we can't really help you with that as those files are Mekwars specific and you'd need to ask them. Sorry.
Thanks, was just hoping I'd catch someone who has messed with it themselves.

Love Megamek though, having a great time with it!
I am working on putting together a quick and dirty how-to for getting a bare bones Mekwars server up and running.  However, with running a server myself, a wife and children....it is not very high on my lifes' priority list at this point, so it is going slow.

Best advice I can offer is that without some basic networking knowledge and basic computer skills, it will be a very tall task. 

If you found the how-to file done some years ago, it is still about 90% accurate and even though it does the how-to based on using Linux, porting the instructions to Windows is a fairly easy task. 

To be very honest, if you are not able to port the instructions for Linux and know how to accomplish the same thing on Windows, then running and maintaining a Mekwars server is most likely beyond your ability.
(10-23-2012, 02:19 PM)antros link Wrote:I was going to post a question on the MegaMekNET forums but I'm still waiting to get the account approved. I've been searching for some information on how to fire up a MekWars server but haven't really found much of anything to go by aside from one How To and it was more geared towards running it on a Linux box.

Because of spambot issues (which I believe I now have under control), access requests on the forums are sent to /dev/nul.  I just went through the current inactive users, and it appears that your account did not make it through my last purge.  If you want to re-register and email me at spork@mekwars.net, I'll activate you.  Regular forum activations are actually only done through the MekWars client on mekwars.org.  Mekwars.net, however, is open and doesn't require any game registration to create an account.