Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Interest Check] Solaris 7 Campaign Concept
My wife just announced that she is now plural and this might be my last chance to run a campaign idea for a good long while, so I want to get it out of the way before the chaos ensues in 9 months time.

I want to run a Solaris 7 campaign.  The basic premise will be the players are new arrivals to Solaris, players will start out with 6/6 pilots and some xp to customize themselves however they see fit, and will not have a mech to start.  Players will be joining a stable that will provide them a mech to compete with and all repairs will be handled for free.  The game will begin in the Reaches and hopefully will evolve to the main arenas.  I want to do a lot of custom games, such as re-enactment of battles, challenge matches, amusement fights, and then of course the great championship matches as well as grudge matches.  I will build a list of ladders, NPC pilots, and come up with a description of what each gunnery/pilot level behavior should look like so Op4s can play standard championship matches if I am simply unavailable for a given period of time.

I have several story lines already prepared, 2 of them out of the cockpit and 1 that deals with mech combat.  If I can get enough interest and enough players I would like to do a competition between stables, or 3 stables. 

The game will start in 3040, with the dawning of level 2 tech.  This will focus on the technology spur that happens right before the clan invasion which means manufactures are toying with weapon quirks and mech quirks to make the best fighting machines, and one of the best places to do that in the Inner Sphere is on Solaris 7.  The only available level 2 tech at start will be Streak SRM 2s, Double Heat Sinks, and AMS.  Some other technology will be right around the corner though.

Sounds great Ark. I think this is something close to what Fatebringer did a while back at CBT, but perhaps with more roleplay.

Count me in.
I know we talked about a similar concept a while back Mekslayer, probably a year or more ago.  I do want there to be more outside of the cockpit roleplay involved.  Solaris 7 is about personality outside of the mech just as much as it is about actually winning matches.
Is that a roleplay in a chat or is that roleplay by post... or?

Chat I can do or TS sure... but yeah I am not big into roleplay by lots of long posts... there are already a lot of places that have that. Yeah I dont blog much...

i am very much interested in this
I am hoping most of the roleplay can be done in very quick concise instant message chats if need be, or in the game lobby of MM.  Over 90% of the game should be handled through Megamek, with only mild bits and pieces handled out of Megamek.  Things handled out of game would include changes to your mech, xp expenditures for your pilot, and any challanges/grudge matches/death matches against another player or NPC you would wish to declare.  While I would like to have a post up somewhere for RP purposes I do not really foresee long posts needed.  The 2 out of cockpit story lines can be resolved in cockpit (unless the players choose otherwise) through Megamek.

I am really not big on long dramatic 500+ word posts either.  If people wish to do that I have no problem with it, but it's not my style.  I am more interested in progressing the story line and most of that is going to be done through players getting better in the arena and handling contract missions outside of the arena.

If Vanadius is intersted, with easytiger and you Mek, then with one additional person I will start getting things ready.
Pm me with what you need from me this should be fun
It's not looking very good at the moment.  I have 3 people who have said they were interested and I was hoping for a few more for such a concept.  I will give it a few more days, but I am really thinking about shelving the concept for awhile.
I AM interested, but my on-line availability made me think I wouldn't be an asset to the game. I'm only on-line from midnight to 7:30 am CST.

Only when I'm at work, in other words. If that works, message me here and I'm in...
Oh, and I thought I'd also say that as far as the tech goes...personally I've always played clan-invasion era (ALWAYS.).
So I'm a little clueless about the war of 3039 ect. I DID read the Warrior trilogy when I was in high-school...but that was 20+ years ago!

As far as fiction goes, I also read the three clan-invasion Stackpole books(I got into BT as TRO 3050 was hitting the stands).I had Endgame for the FedCom civil war, nothing about the twilight of the clans, and only the first Stackpole book of Dark Ages. Heck, I'm a little fuzzy about the Jihad (other than Wobblies tossing nukes like candy, that I got).
(01-30-2013, 06:58 AM)Groggy1 link Wrote: ...other than Wobblies tossing nukes like candy, that I got...).

If you think that was "tossing like candy" wait for some detailed release of 1st and 2nd Succession War :p
(01-30-2013, 12:34 PM)Akira213 link Wrote: [quote author=Groggy1 link=topic=1067.msg7019#msg7019 date=1359543500]
...other than Wobblies tossing nukes like candy, that I got...).

If you think that was "tossing like candy" wait for some detailed release of 1st and 2nd Succession War :p
[/quote]

Agreed, the devestation that is supposed to be in the Succession wars is set back mankind even further than the Wobbies.

So far as availability, I can play post midnight, the problem would be being able to get together for some group games along the way.  If I wanted to do a recreation of a Succession War battle and we would need 4 people for a fight... we would need some way to all get together and play that fight.  Or if there is supposed to be a one vs 2 fight or some other combination... I would like to be able to do odd ball things like that.  But if you are limited to only post-midnight play... I would have to get the others okay on that deal.

The more people that get involved the easier it is to form teams and do the oddball fights.  And I can always do your championship rounds and solo fights in the arena at any time, so for me and for us to have fun it would not be a problem.
Count me interested.  Granted I have yet to use MegaMek online w/ servers.  Basically been playing Against the Bot rules.
(01-30-2013, 12:34 PM)Akira213 link Wrote: [quote author=Groggy1 link=topic=1067.msg7019#msg7019 date=1359543500]
...other than Wobblies tossing nukes like candy, that I got...).

[/quote]

Let me re-state that then. My knowledge of the Jihad = Second Star League breaks up, word of blake says "To hell with EVERYONE. Let's nuke Tharkad and kill everything". The End. Oh and I wanna say Clan Wolverine (the clan that is not) had something to do with Mars and WOB having more warhsips than the IS and the Clans...but again I'm rather clueless about the era.

On a more positive note, I COULD get online some mornings by going to the library in town. However, that would require me knowing I will need to do so at least a day in advance.
(01-31-2013, 03:24 AM)Groggy1 link Wrote: ...Let me re-state that then. My knowledge of the Jihad = Second Star League breaks up, word of blake says "To hell with EVERYONE. Let's nuke Tharkad and kill everything". The End. Oh and I wanna say Clan Wolverine (the clan that is not) had something to do with Mars and WOB having more warhsips than the IS and the Clans...but again I'm rather clueless about the era...

Well, fact is the IS map of 2764 hat about 500 systems MORE than the IS map of 3025. And there's probably a (deadly) reason for that Wink
Ok, some were maybe (...hm, more probably...) 'cleaned' during the Amaris Coup and Sandy K's following campaign to push Amaris off of Terra.

But, sorry, I'm derailing this thread. If we want to go on on this we maybe should start a new one.
Please continue it here, I am trying to get things put together and will be making a new thread to host the actual game.  I am finding this spread of information and new google search terms very helpful.
(01-31-2013, 03:57 PM)Akira213 link Wrote: Well, fact is the IS map of 2764 hat about 500 systems MORE than the IS map of 3025. And there's probably a (deadly) reason for that Wink

I always heard that the loss of worlds between 2750 and 3025 was due to falling tech levels not able to keep up terraforming equipment and water purifiers ect...
Plus if (as you say) they were into M.A.D.-level nuke-fests then whole worlds could be lost in a single exchange.

Way back when I first got into Battletech, there was this "duality of nature" (for lack of a better term) where there was both a technological resurgance (thanks to the Helm memory core PLUS the scavenged tech from the Clans) and the 3025 backwardness (people strapping ice blocks to their chests in lieu of working cooling vests, pirates raiding for water, ect.)
For me, the two trying to exist together was confusing. When I read the Lethal Heritage trilogy and knew it was cannon, I stopped trying to reconcile the two world-views, and my games always had plenty of tech around...if you could afford it and it didn't get shot out from under you...

Even though I haven't played MUCH with 3025 era tech, if I had to chose ONE piece of "level 2 tech" to incorporate...I'd say DHS would make my day. Let me re-fit my mech to work with the way I brawl, and I'm rollin' the high-life, lol. Of course, as my favorite weapon (and if you'll look at my sig you'll know it) has been in the game from the beginning, it's all gravy Smile

Oh! Can I have a King Crab?  Please? Tongue
hm, i'm not sure that 'failing tech levels' are the main reason, that so many worlds are now greyed out. If this occurs two thing have to happen first: all blueprints are burned and all people who knew was stood in those blueprints are dead. And to get this far how much has to be destroyed and how many have to die? Millions, Trillions...i'm not only talking about A-Weapons, but B and C, too. A level of destruction unknown and unimaginable for us...or at least for me. Kentares probably looks like a kindergarden quarrel against that.

The now called introductory tech was always and still is my favorite. In my opinion it has the most tactical touch. There is no fancy electronics you can count on. Just you and your tactics and mechwarrior skill Wink (And I don't mean the number on your sheet).
I agree Level 1 is the most tactical. When I used to play with my ex-wife, she liked building what I called "Alpha babies". Mechs that could alpha every time and not build up heat. I tried over and over again to show her that it was deadlier to build range-bracketed mechs, even to the point of taking a 3025 Warhammer (upgraded with DHS only) against her re-build of the same mech. Never quite got the point through.

The first (and to a lesser extent also the second) succession war was fought at a pitch I don't think we'll ever be able to comprehend. They fought to destroy the other side's ability to make war. Now, even though the mech is king of the battlefield, that includes destroying populations too. The people who understood those blueprints WERE killed off. That is why so much was lost. Even the recovery of the Helm memory core didn't bring back all the technologies it had blueprints of. The scientists still had to figure them out.
I'm not saying A,B, and C weapons did all the damage, but marginally habitable worlds that survived by technology alone were probably just abandoned when the tech keeping the people alive started to fail. Not all worlds are hospitible to mankind.

Not to change the subject, but I AM a little worried about my skill level against the rest. I've never had a decent opponent to fight against. I've taught the game to about a dozen or so people, and played against them...but never had an opponent that fought differently enough from me that I was unable to defeat them. I worry that the new (to me) tactics I'm sure I'm going to see will throw me off enough that I end up getting my butt kicked repeatedly Tongue
I started playing BT when I was 13... now i'm 35. And played constantly through all those years. Right now we try to meet every second Friday to push some figures over the board. I had - I don't know - at least two dozen Padawan through the years and there's one thing ... ehrm, two things, that always stayed the same: First one is you only get better when you play against people who are more skilled than you are.
And second: the beginners ALWAYS roll better than that veteran does, hehe Wink

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Solaris campain Bczretribution 0 464 12-29-2017, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Bczretribution
  Interest check - strategic battletech/aerotech campaign _xX_Shadow_Hawk_Xx_ 5 2,877 12-17-2013, 05:51 PM
Last Post: wulfle
  [Interest Check] Old fashion Battletech Tournament Zellbringen 36 11,096 06-17-2013, 06:32 PM
Last Post: Ragnarok
  Solaris Arena Games Campaign Arkaris 146 37,912 05-19-2013, 07:12 PM
Last Post: hungrygnome