This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question on a feature request(Inner Sphere Map Editor)
I'm wondering if there would be much interest in this.  One of the things I love about the MegaMek group of programs is the amount of customization you have to make the game your own.  Currently in my game we are doing a more Age of War style game with multiple factions.  Now while it possible to go in an edit the xml file for the planets.  I was wondering if it was possible to have a tool in MekHQ or a stand alone program to Edit the file with Java with a point and click set up.  Something that would allow you to change items such as the owner, Faction Changes, Description along with the other fields listed in the XML.  This would make editing factions much easier.  Just curious on how much effort this would take, sense I have almost no knowlage in Java.

Thanks,
That would be nice to have. My 3000 campaign will be needing it soon.

Would also be nice to add in know garrison units during a given setting (3rd SW in my case) more easily.
(12-23-2013, 03:41 PM)Zellbringen link Wrote: I'm wondering if there would be much interest in this.  One of the things I love about the MegaMek group of programs is the amount of customization you have to make the game your own.  Currently in my game we are doing a more Age of War style game with multiple factions.  Now while it possible to go in an edit the xml file for the planets.  I was wondering if it was possible to have a tool in MekHQ or a stand alone program to Edit the file with Java with a point and click set up.  Something that would allow you to change items such as the owner, Faction Changes, Description along with the other fields listed in the XML.  This would make editing factions much easier.  Just curious on how much effort this would take, sense I have almost no knowlage in Java.

Thanks,

Why would this need to be stand-alone? There has already been talk of a faction adjustment right in the MHQ map screen where you can set factions and they save in your campaign file so that they only affect that game.
(12-23-2013, 05:57 PM)pheonixstorm link Wrote: Would also be nice to add in know garrison units during a given setting (3rd SW in my case) more easily.

Parfland (or something like that sorry) is working on a massive spreadsheet that has this information all complied nicely and I believe he has the intentions of adding it to MekHQ along with factories and a list of what each factory in the known sphere produces.  So you know if a planet/system produces SDRs or LCTs and which variants, and if that planet also produces different types of equipment.
(12-25-2013, 11:27 AM)Arkaris link Wrote: [quote author=pheonixstorm link=topic=1475.msg9462#msg9462 date=1387835844]
Would also be nice to add in know garrison units during a given setting (3rd SW in my case) more easily.

Parfland (or something like that sorry) is working on a massive spreadsheet that has this information all complied nicely and I believe he has the intentions of adding it to MekHQ along with factories and a list of what each factory in the known sphere produces.  So you know if a planet/system produces SDRs or LCTs and which variants, and if that planet also produces different types of equipment.
[/quote]

Officially I am writing the code for supporting both factories and garrison units in MekHQ. Also officially, Hammer is doing the data (XML file) creation for me. If others are helping with this, awesome, but that is the official stance. And it has already begun being implemented.
That would be me that Arkaris was talking about, I'm not adding it into MM though if ya'll want to you are certainly welcome to do so.  So far it's up to 11K entries and not done.  The thread is here: http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.ph...606.0.html

It has the download link there if anyone is interested.  Hammer's is similar (or the same, I'm not sure) but it was in Access DB and I wanted mine to have a bit more of a broader reach, plus I know little about Access so i couldn't break it down to look at the data tables.
(12-25-2013, 08:59 PM)pfarland link Wrote: That would be me that Arkaris was talking about, I'm not adding it into MM though if ya'll want to you are certainly welcome to do so.  So far it's up to 11K entries and not done.  The thread is here: http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.ph...606.0.html

It has the download link there if anyone is interested.  Hammer's is similar (or the same, I'm not sure) but it was in Access DB and I wanted mine to have a bit more of a broader reach, plus I know little about Access so i couldn't break it down to look at the data tables.

The Access Database is in Progress and the main reason I have it as an Access DB is it includes all the current planets and faction changes from MekHQ.  It also has all the units up to but not including the 3145 units with their MM components broken down.  The goal for the DB is a universe data base that will be very MM/MHQ centric.  That said I'm the only person entering the data and with over 5000 units its going to take time.
Oh, so your's is the units?  I thought you were doing a factory list.
The goal of mine, is you can click on a planet see all the planet details, then see what factories are on world.  Those factories will list production lines and dates active.  You can then click on the unit and see what component is produced their.  That will show the MM equipment name and a fluff name if one is available.

Currently the planets are in, the factories are in, the Units MM Stats are in but its the dates and fluff data that is missing.  That involves a lot of data combing as I'm sure you are aware. 

The DB is a little buggy and between getting the 3145 units done up and Real Life I haven't been able to doing anything on it.  I'm hoping to get back to the data mining in the new year.
I wouldn't mind looking it over and adding to the 3rd SW settings. I have already corrected one world that has been under FWL control since the TH fell that MMHQ has listed as a CC system from 29?? and there is no reference in either house book about it being in CC control prior to 3025. Haven't looked in the Field manusls or more recent data, just the original house books but 3025 data should really have changed much since they were released.

BTW the planet in question is Procyon.
I would have loved to put in dates to the factories list, but other that a few exceptions there are just way to few actual dates for production.  I wanted to keep as close to canon as possible and I couldn't do that adding in dates. 

Even a lot of the ones I have the closest I could come was things such as (Factory destroyed 1st Succession War).  Hell, some are just listed as being destroyed in the SWs, the info available doesn't even list which one of the 4.
(12-26-2013, 10:26 AM)pfarland link Wrote: I would have loved to put in dates to the factories list, but other that a few exceptions there are just way to few actual dates for production.  I wanted to keep as close to canon as possible and I couldn't do that adding in dates. 

Even a lot of the ones I have the closest I could come was things such as (Factory destroyed 1st Succession War).  Hell, some are just listed as being destroyed in the SWs, the info available doesn't even list which one of the 4.

Yeah, that's why I was never interested in that portion of it. Listing the factories is one thing, but production in battletech isn't well documented. We get incomplete snapshots at best. And the key word is incomplete. The factory list isn't complete either but trying to figure out where everything is created and when is a bit of a lost cause without filling in a lot of non-canon data based on assumptions of what production levels should be. That's always been my take on it - would be great info to have, if there was enough reliable data available but there isn't.
Yeah, the dates thing is a pain.  But I've been applying some logic using the MUL and the fluff from the various books.  For example the WSP-1 would be in production until replaced by the WSP-3.

Between the Objective series and Mad Capellan's semi-cannon Objective Raids 3067 we can get a pretty decent look a production during the Clan to Civil War years.  But Jihad and beyond has been hard to figure out for units that have been upgraded. 

Personally I don't care about how many units are made at each factory but I think knowing what is produced at each factory and when is important to the universe, especially one that is in a permanent state of conflict.

Either way the Database will be an interesting but incomplete resource.  But it needs some more debugging before I can ask anyone to help data mine for it.
The free housebooks are searchable and I found a lot of useful info so far as far as deployment as of 3025 and at least in FWL a list of mech plants along with what and how many they produce. Even learned that the planet I mentioned (Procyon) has a myomer plant on it that was raided I think by Liao at some point (think early 3rd??) The dates can be fuzzy, which is a good thing as each game may end up becoming a separate universe outside of official cannon. Really depends on the GM.

So long as you can get a time period (1-4th SW, SL, Clans etc) we can wing it. Procyon was taken in 2789 do the date in the universe file (2790) is fine.

I think eventually with all the data that is on sarna.net (and checking their references) you should be able to find out everything you need to know. While sarna.net may not be 100% accurate it does give you a means of looking up what you need far quicker than doing so manually. All those page numbers they give really helps find the information faster.
Well, my whole point of the Factories list was to really figure out who ends up with what.  All of my project really started as a means to an end, the end being a Xotl type RAT that extends past 3039 (3050 for the clans). 

I've never been happy with the RATs that have been pure canon as they list way too few unit types and I tend to like to see variety like you do in the fiction.  Once I have a good base of who is producing what and where, I can go on to figuring out a general idea of what is being fielded by whom.

Planing on weighting the RATs toward the ones published and ones where you have either 'big' factories (like Defiance) or ones that the fluff describe as a popular type.  And on the flip side of the coin, weighting things less for unpopular models and ones that aren't listed in RATs and/or have small factories producing them (and of course the fluff).
The point I was trying to get at is that TPTB have said that they haven't and will not publish a full list of factories/production. So trying to limit yourself to only what they've published is just as limiting as the rats. It'd be like ignoring the 2/3 of planets with no canon data, just because they have no data.

I think it is a noble effort to pull together what had been published but I'd never limit my campaigns to it.
I wouldn't expect anyone to limit themselves to just that.  When I'm done with the whole project (and have enough people following it and interested) I'm going to poll everyone and see if they want some of the fan projects put into it and see if they are interested in anything logical worked out in it (things that are suggested, but not found).
Gone for the X-mas break and come back to see a lot of responces.  Glad to hear it is an upcoming feature.  Thanks to all that make this an awesome progam.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Feature Request MekHQ KeyMaster113 3 1,540 08-10-2018, 10:45 AM
Last Post: Hammer
  Customization Feature Request Shadowhunter99 1 1,073 08-08-2018, 03:55 PM
Last Post: GraalOtonami
  Minor feature request - awards hell-fish 2 1,742 01-30-2018, 04:11 PM
Last Post: BLOODWOLF
  Feature request: randomize portrait option in personel tab Groggy1 1 1,322 12-31-2016, 07:35 AM
Last Post: Neoancient
  Clan armor on custom Inner Sphere Meks? gamersince1980 1 1,303 10-30-2013, 10:44 AM
Last Post: gamersince1980
  MUL editor Peleandros 10 5,851 05-26-2013, 03:52 PM
Last Post: Peleandros
  Request: Bondsmen and Prisoners Trent 7 4,629 10-27-2011, 03:42 PM
Last Post: Shaitan