This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Running a campaign for multiple players
Ok, I'm planning to use megamek and MekHQ for the mech combat portion of a play by Skype RPG group.  I'm trying to work  around and take best advantage of megamek and MekHQ's capability.  I want to see if my plan will work.

My intention. I have all of the units, and run the opposition. I create the list, then export a mul file from MekHQ.  I then start megamek on its own, and  load up the MUL file.

I then use the  traitor command to pass off mechs to the other players.  I then start up another version of megamek, log on as the opposition player.

The game is played to completion (I simply disable the victory conditions). Once the game is over, the players use the traitor command to pass the units back to the original client I logged in with, not the one used for the opposition.  I then save the file listing at the end of the game, and the salvage file.  I go back to MekHQ, resolve via the MUL file, and everything is gloriously taken care of.

If I'm wrong about how the process above will actually execute, please let me know.

I would have tested it out more except for the following issue.

I can't get the traitor command to work.  No matter what, the mechs never change possession. I get no error message, but no change of ownership happens. Is there any descriptive example of how to use the traitor command? I try full entity names, or simply player id numbers in various combinations, and nothing works.

Thanks for your help.
(12-29-2013, 06:01 PM)wjpennington link Wrote: Ok, I'm planning to use megamek and MekHQ for the mech combat portion of a play by Skype RPG group.  I'm trying to work  around and take best advantage of megamek and MekHQ's capability.  I want to see if my plan will work.

My intention. I have all of the units, and run the opposition. I create the list, then export a mul file from MekHQ.  I then start megamek on its own, and  load up the MUL file.

I then use the  traitor command to pass off mechs to the other players.  I then start up another version of megamek, log on as the opposition player.

The game is played to completion (I simply disable the victory conditions). Once the game is over, the players use the traitor command to pass the units back to the original client I logged in with, not the one used for the opposition.  I then save the file listing at the end of the game, and the salvage file.  I go back to MekHQ, resolve via the MUL file, and everything is gloriously taken care of.

If I'm wrong about how the process above will actually execute, please let me know.

I would have tested it out more except for the following issue.

I can't get the traitor command to work.  No matter what, the mechs never change possession. I get no error message, but no change of ownership happens. Is there any descriptive example of how to use the traitor command? I try full entity names, or simply player id numbers in various combinations, and nothing works.

Thanks for your help.

To get correct (mostly) bookkeeping, you wouldn't resolve from the MUL, you would use MHQ to load the last save after the units got traitored over to the original player and then resolve from that.
(12-29-2013, 06:01 PM)wjpennington link Wrote: Ok, I'm planning to use megamek and MekHQ for the mech combat portion of a play by Skype RPG group.  I'm trying to work  around and take best advantage of megamek and MekHQ's capability.  I want to see if my plan will work.

I do basically the same thing, and I can tell you how I handle it. 

I have one MekHQ campaign that has the whole TO&E for my players' forces.  I setup the mission(s) there and then export the MUL file. 

I then launch a MM game as the OpFor and have the players join.  I load in the MUL file for the players force and use the "Change Owner" context menu item (right click on the unit, Change Owner) to give the units to which player will be controlling them. 

Once I have given all of the players units away, I load up a MUL file with the OpFor in it.  This MUL file can be created from another MekHQ campaign if you track your OpFor or can just be created by you.

I then run through the game in Megamek, with victory conditions.  Once the game is all done, I have all of the players send me their saved MUL from the end of the game.  I then use a text editor to combine those MUL files together.  Then I use the merged MUL file and the salvage.mul to resolve the battle in MekHQ.

If MekHQ allowed you to specify multiple MUL files to resolve a battle, this would be even easier as you wouldn't have to do the merging step.
(12-29-2013, 06:30 PM)Arlith link Wrote: [quote author=wjpennington link=topic=1485.msg9518#msg9518 date=1388354489]
Ok, I'm planning to use megamek and MekHQ for the mech combat portion of a play by Skype RPG group.  I'm trying to work  around and take best advantage of megamek and MekHQ's capability.  I want to see if my plan will work.

I do basically the same thing, and I can tell you how I handle it. 

I have one MekHQ campaign that has the whole TO&E for my players' forces.  I setup the mission(s) there and then export the MUL file. 

I then launch a MM game as the OpFor and have the players join.  I load in the MUL file for the players force and use the "Change Owner" context menu item (right click on the unit, Change Owner) to give the units to which player will be controlling them. 

Once I have given all of the players units away, I load up a MUL file with the OpFor in it.  This MUL file can be created from another MekHQ campaign if you track your OpFor or can just be created by you.

I then run through the game in Megamek, with victory conditions.  Once the game is all done, I have all of the players send me their saved MUL from the end of the game.  I then use a text editor to combine those MUL files together.  Then I use the merged MUL file and the salvage.mul to resolve the battle in MekHQ.

If MekHQ allowed you to specify multiple MUL files to resolve a battle, this would be even easier as you wouldn't have to do the merging step.
[/quote]

The problem with this is that you have to manually assign kills and other such information that is automatically gathered if you use an end save with all of the player units /traitored to the player who matches the campaign name. A lot better for bookkeeping.
(12-29-2013, 08:44 PM)ralgith link Wrote: The problem with this is that you have to manually assign kills and other such information that is automatically gathered if you use an end save with all of the player units /traitored to the player who matches the campaign name. A lot better for bookkeeping.

You've probably made that response to me before and it didn't quite sink in, heh.  Maybe it would be possible to have another dialog that pops up when you load a saved game that would allow you to specify which side each player was on in the saved game: belonging to the managed unit, neutral, or opposition.
(12-29-2013, 09:31 PM)Arlith link Wrote: You've probably made that response to me before and it didn't quite sink in, heh.  Maybe it would be possible to have another dialog that pops up when you load a saved game that would allow you to specify which side each player was on in the saved game: belonging to the managed unit, neutral, or opposition.

Probably, make an RFE for that and I'll see about getting it done.
Thanks. I guess I have it easy where I'm not using any tracked kills, assigning all XP via the RPG rules.  As I take care of all the bookkeeping afterwards, just having them forward their MUL files after changing owner at the start seems easy enough.  We're excited as heck about getting our band of periphery scum into the thick of things, and MekHQ is going to be a big help.
The /traitor command has been a little finicky for me.  A Mech that was traitored, but not completely destroyed would not come back in the same state that it was in.  If a pilot had to eject from a downed mech for example, the only way to get it back into the MekHQ file that I found would work (granted I haven't run my MP campaign since prior to 0.3.0)  was to traitor the mech back to the host client and have that person eject it, which would take a turn in which it could be shot at and further damaged.  Anything else I tried to do would cause an error in the file that had the unit not come back at all.

I've used the MUL function and simply manually assigned the kills.  To me, it's less paperwork as I write down the kills as they occur, rather than risk losing a Mech or three to a 4 AM auto resolution, that went bad because we overshot our ending time by two hours AGAIN!
This should help:
https://sourceforge.net/p/mekhq/feature-requests/154/

Now you no longer need to /traitor them to anyone. MekHQ reads from your teammates automatically.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How would you go about running a Co-op Campaign? LawrenceElsa 9 3,375 08-15-2019, 07:47 PM
Last Post: 984
  Multiple techs on one refit? dgorsman 1 906 06-12-2019, 10:12 PM
Last Post: Hammer
  MekHQ is running slow Glaive7 12 3,252 04-07-2016, 02:34 PM
Last Post: scJazz
  Running MekHQ with more RAM Bakga 3 2,016 06-18-2013, 11:00 AM
Last Post: Bakga
  Running multiple missions Kendo 0 1,094 06-17-2013, 04:39 PM
Last Post: Kendo
  Help for starting a campaign with other players Pharon 12 5,488 05-09-2013, 11:03 AM
Last Post: Arkaris
  Running a Campaign with MekHQ hjess60 6 4,401 03-20-2013, 12:57 PM
Last Post: Epic
  Can we improve refits, assign multiple techs? neilfw 1 1,511 11-26-2012, 08:28 PM
Last Post: Xenon54z
  Need help running MekHQ Wickymagee 8 3,543 02-09-2012, 08:07 PM
Last Post: Taharqa
  Multiple players Mumbles 5 2,767 12-14-2011, 07:32 PM
Last Post: Mumbles