This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WIP: Tech assigned to force (lance level)
After having to reorganize my techs again (I hate how they get jumbled from mothball activations and moving units around) that I wished for a better or simpler way. Hence the idea of assignment by force rather than by unit.

Not sure how difficult it would be to code but the general idea is adding the assignment to the TO&E context menu, maybe above "add unit" have add tech or assign tech. If a new unit is added or dragged to the force remove old tech (if any) and add the new tech.

Does anyone else assign techs to a lance or just whenever a new unit comes up?

*EDIT*

Missing Features:
See last post

Can't think of anything else at the moment.

Patch updated to r7

Attached Files
.patch   ForceTech_r7.patch (Size: 9.55 KB / Downloads: 0)
Yes, I just finished a mission where I kept a Company at home, and raided with 2 Companies.  But it was a pain trying to keep tabs of what Mechs and what Techs were where.  I typically have one Tech assigned per lance for maintenance, and then assign "Free Techs" by force to deal with battle damage.  And then there's the Techs assigned to care for the Salvage... on some missions I very rapidly run out of "Free Techs".
It's been discussed quite a bit before and the general answer is "someday" but my understanding is it will be a fairly large undertaking since MHQ doesn't truly track 'locations' for anything.

It would be awesome to deploy to multiple worlds, maintain a small presence (i.e. admin/recruiters/supply personnel) on a planet like Outreach, deploy techs/parts/doctors with each force, etc. So, someday. It just depends when someone gets ambitious enough to add 'locations' to personnel/parts/units/etc. and some way to easily track where all of the parts are located and then focus on those sub-units per location. It'd be even better if you could split forces by distance (i.e. they're on the same planet but a thousand km away, so support won't be there anytime soon) but that might be asking too much.
(05-01-2014, 09:18 AM)Jayof9s link Wrote:It's been discussed quite a bit before and the general answer is "someday" but my understanding is it will be a fairly large undertaking since MHQ doesn't truly track 'locations' for anything.

It would be awesome to deploy to multiple worlds, maintain a small presence (i.e. admin/recruiters/supply personnel) on a planet like Outreach, deploy techs/parts/doctors with each force, etc. So, someday. It just depends when someone gets ambitious enough to add 'locations' to personnel/parts/units/etc. and some way to easily track where all of the parts are located and then focus on those sub-units per location. It'd be even better if you could split forces by distance (i.e. they're on the same planet but a thousand km away, so support won't be there anytime soon) but that might be asking too much.

This is almost all on my TODO list, it really is just a matter of having the time, energy, and ambition to do it.
Having a units tech at the top of the list in the repair bay and the idea I posted about should go a long way toward meeting all those crazy ideas you want to add  8)
Allocation/Management of Techs is fraught with issues.  If looked at just from the repair/salvage screen then this is all about sort orders, and filtering, e.g. by Time remaining or skill or type.  I think there are several requests open for this. And then the allocation to specific forces is not relevant.

But, as his thread suggests there is value in greater ability to sub-split the forces according to various missions, and the question then really comes down to how "dispersed" a force is going to be.

If we start considering the existing scenario-level assignment.  All forces effectively on a single planet, then it is about assigning units and techs, doctors, some admins, some vehicles etc, to specific sequences of battles as a sub-mission.  Here it is about not overlapping resources from one grouping to another.  Lance/Company (Force) level is the logical place to provide this first split. I cannot speak for the ease or not of coding, but I would recommend that the first step is placing greater facility in the To&E table to allow for "accompanying" resources to be assigned at the force level. Then under the mission tab, allow the creation of "locations" within a mission, and associate Scenarios to the Locations.  So perhaps each "Mission" is created initially with two locations "Drop-Zone" and "Objective", with the ability to add additional locations.  Then under TO&E a force can be assigned to a location, perhaps this could be colour-coded in To&E, then when scenarios are created they are assigned a location there is a restriction on which forces can be assigned. Under the repair tab there can be a filter for either all locations, or each of those that exist for a live mission.

If we consider the multiple planets model, then there needs to be broader allocation of assets.. Jumpship/dropship etc, which I don't believe is that much different to above. Under the Briefing Room tab the locations are then created at the mission level, rather than scenario, or a mission has multiple top-level locations.

Just a few thoughts...
Brining this back up as this is one of my next projects (after getting assigned techs to the top of the repair list I think).

So what would be the best way to go about doing this? Add tech ID at the force level? Add force ID to the tech? I think I had the code figured out but on the repair end and how to manage tech assignments at the force level when adding/removing units just not sure how you might want me to proceed with the actual ID placements. I think it would be easier the tech ID to the force rather than the force ID to the tech.

The extra automation of this and having the units tech being the first in the repair list should make some housekeeping easier for those like myself and possibly make ralgiths life a little easier (fewer feature requests to deal with perhaps).

Anyway, thoughts? Feedback?
My idea how to tackle this would be to add another type of force to the TO&E Tab: "Support Force". There you can assign techs, doctors and vehicles with cargo space. With the contect menu you can assign support forces to normal forces, and at the warehouse you can assign parts to support forces. Units that need repairs can only use personel and parts assigned to them via TO&E.
This would make managing troops much easier and would not depend on the style of campaign you are playing, from planetary assault on a strategic map to linked szenarios on different planets.
Nice ideas but goes beyond the scope of this single idea. Also as the TO&E is for scenario deployment some of your ideas would need to be more hidden or at least outside the normal TO&E. This is more ralgiths territory though as my skills are limited to more simplified patches and ideas.
Since 162 Repair Bay: Assigned Tech at top of list is now in trunk I am getting back to this feature (started awhile ago gathering all data on how force assignments work and a little code done) so maybe some time soon we can make tech management a little easier.

The idea is fairly simple. Assign a tech to Alpha Lance. Anytime you add or remove a unit it will assign the tech id to that of the lances tech (or remove the tech from the unit). No more hunting through a large tech list for other lance assignments on techs with multiple units already assigned. This should go nicely with my now commited feature 162 (thanks ralgith). If I get this done in a timely manor I may tackle some of the other ideas posted in this thread, at least those within my ability.

Any other ideas post away, just make sure to give them a proper label ie force, TO&E, location, etc. I think we can group them together to make them easier to track.
Got a working patch for this now. Has a few missing features and a bug or two but it does work.

Patch posted on the first post, will try and get around to post missing features/bugs a little later today. Need a little sleep before I have to get up and send my spoiled princess off to school.
No one have time to give this a good once over?
Annoying glitch - Fixed

Missing Features:
Does not check for correct tech type on unit assignment - done
Does not display assigned tech on lance panel (ForceViewPanel?) - working on it
Ability to remove assigned techs (though assigning a new tech may remove older tech) - may end up finishing this before I get the other done.

Testing out the newest patch before posting, looking for ideas on any other changes to add. May have found a bug as well though need to run another mission to see if there was some other reason why my assigned techs weren't at the top of the list.

Will probably post the most recent patch for testing today or tomorrow if I have time.
Crazy few days so never found time to update the main topic. Do have some progress though, the force panel in the TO&E now displays who the assigned tech is Smile  After going over the code a few times (and completely missing what I was looking for) I finally nailed it. Looks nice and gives me what I need to draft out the unit citations/medals idea (a much later patch).

So, here is what is left before I do a demo release:
Missing Features:
Does not display assigned tech on lance panel (ForceViewPanel?) - done, though a bit bugged.
Ability to remove assigned techs (though assigning a new tech may remove older tech) - coming up next.

Known Bugs:
Assigning a new tech to a lance that already has a tech causes the older tech to have phantom maintanence and will continue to show any mechs previously assigned. Removing the units from the assigned tech negates this.
Previously assigned techs from my test campaign did not show up in the force panel. Seems something doesn't get updated otherwise.

Has anyone compiled this and tested for bugs or have any ideas for additional features that I haven't thought of?
(11-06-2014, 12:17 AM)pheonixstorm link Wrote: Known Bugs:

Previously assigned techs from my test campaign did not show up in the force panel. Seems something doesn't get updated otherwise.

Bug found and squashed. Silly me, I forgot to add code to read the forces techID from the campaign file. It was being written out but never read back in on load... DOH! such a stupid thing to overlook...
Almost done, just need to get the force panel to update when the tech is removed and to have units assigned when adding a tech to an already established lance.

Once those two are complete I will be posting a tech demo to hopefully get some others to playtest it and post some feedback.
Missing Features:
Does not display assigned tech on lance panel (ForceViewPanel?) - done
Ability to remove assigned techs - done

Known Bugs:
None known

So I am now done with this patch. Time to clean up the code a bit and submit it Smile

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Force Icons Longshot 3 1,359 04-01-2018, 04:05 PM
Last Post: Saark
  ATB Skill Level? ThomasMarik 2 1,138 02-17-2017, 02:02 PM
Last Post: ThomasMarik
  Assigned techs kipstafoo 5 2,010 12-14-2016, 04:44 PM
Last Post: iduno
  Allow Order/Selection/Assignment of Scroungs assigned Techs neilfw 0 1,013 02-01-2015, 07:14 AM
Last Post: neilfw
  Hiring personnel of given experience level grimlock 2 1,407 12-07-2014, 11:46 PM
Last Post: grimlock
  ATB : Limiting enemy force sizes to match my BV value Question2 8 3,053 11-11-2014, 02:28 PM
Last Post: Question2
  Lance movement option Nimrod0616 7 3,021 07-31-2014, 04:29 PM
Last Post: Arlith
  Will not add force to Existing force warhammer74 2 1,431 06-22-2014, 03:23 AM
Last Post: warhammer74
  Expanded MekHQ Force Tags CarnageINC 3 1,636 03-10-2014, 10:28 AM
Last Post: scJazz
  Can not remove force.... Serryn 1 1,055 01-25-2014, 07:14 PM
Last Post: Serryn