This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lance movement option
Hi,

I'm running some larger battles with MHQ and MM and using the lance movement option.

Is there a way to define which elements are part of a lance when running a scenario in MM from Mekhq? 

Appears to me that is takes 4 techs at a time, the number set as the default with the option.

Here's how it should work... Say you've got vehicle lances on, with a lance size of 4.  Your force has 4 tanks and 1 mek.  If you don't have individual initiative on, during a phase your first move will allow you to select any unit, either a tank or a mek.  If you move a tank, then you must move 3 more tanks to end the turn.  So, your turn could be something like <tank>, <tank>, <tank>, <tank>, <enemy>, <mek> .... Or it could be <mek>, <enemy>, <tank>, <tank>, <tank>, <tank>.  Once you move the first tank, you must move 3 more tanks.  If you had 8 tanks though, you could pick any of the the 8 tanks.  The point I'm trying to make is that there are different types of turns: a generic turn and a unit class turn.  Your first turn will allow you to move any unit.  Once you move a tank, 3 new turns will get added specifically for tanks. 

You don't/can't assign tanks to a particular lance.  It's not like, "when I move tank A, I must also move tank B, C, and D."  That would require the user to define a lance of tanks in the lounge and ends up being tedious for the user to define that information (although MHQ could in theory help with this), and tedious to code it to work that way.  You could manually apply this behavior if that's what you want...

This also assumes no individual initiative, although the lance movement rules are not compatible with individual initiative.
(07-31-2014, 11:32 AM)Arlith link Wrote:That would require the user to define a lance of tanks in the lounge and ends up being tedious for the user to define that information (although MHQ could in theory help with this), and tedious to code it to work that way.  You could manually apply this behavior if that's what you want...
Code for something like that is already in MM, for configuring which point ProtoMechs belong to.
Great. Thanks that's what I was trying to figure out. I've only been using mechs so far.

I've also been using individual camoe's to make it easily to identify lances. Could this cause any memory issues?

I upped the memory to two gig but still the program seems to slow down pretty quick. The forces are 40 mechs per side with two players.

Have not been able to use Princess bot has the game never makes it to a turn; it stops responding  during initial placement.
(07-31-2014, 12:33 PM)BeeRockxs link Wrote:Code for something like that is already in MM, for configuring which point ProtoMechs belong to.

Nice, I guess I just haven't come across it then. 
(07-31-2014, 12:37 PM)Nimrod0616 link Wrote:I've also been using individual camoe's to make it easily to identify lances. Could this cause any memory issues?

I upped the memory to two gig but still the program seems to slow down pretty quick. The forces are 40 mechs per side with two players.

Have not been able to use Princess bot has the game never makes it to a turn; it stops responding  during initial placement.

I wouldn't expect individual camos to cause memory issues.  The camo images really only need to be stored in memory once and are quite small.

If you've got 2 gigs of memory, it's possible that the slow downs are coming other things.  Are you using double blind?  What do you mean by "slows down pretty quickly?"  Are you talking about map scrolling or responsiveness when pressing buttons, like the done button? 

I've recently changed the memory usage to 2 gig so will need to do more testing.

Good to know that the camo's are not an issue.

Yes I'm using double blind.

Against the bot it is definitely response. Press the done button and the response times get longer and finally stops responding.

I'll have to get back to you for the two player with many mech response times.  Have limited time for gaming :-(
Someone else recently mentioned that the wait times between turns/phases (when hitting the done button) seemed longer than it had been.  They had mentioned time spent doing visibility computations for double blind as a potential issue.  This was something I was thinking about looking into.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to use "change site" option Strategiusz 4 1,994 08-15-2018, 11:56 AM
Last Post: Sidewinder
  question on where the MM game option is located? tetsuo 2 1,160 01-05-2017, 06:43 PM
Last Post: tetsuo
  Feature request: randomize portrait option in personel tab Groggy1 1 1,142 12-31-2016, 07:35 AM
Last Post: Neoancient
  WIP: Tech assigned to force (lance level) pheonixstorm 16 7,041 11-10-2014, 06:14 AM
Last Post: pheonixstorm