This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Parts market and parts complexity
Working on my first AtB campaign, and trying to get used to the MHQ interface.  I'm kind of confused by the amount of complexity in the parts list.  I can understand having distinct actuator and section types for each individual weight, but why does there need to be a combination of every possible size and tech engine for every possible unit weight?  That seems awfully redundant.  Why isn't there just *picks one at random* a single entry for IS 250 XL, instead of twenty separate entries for weights 5..100?

Given the size and amount of stuff in the parts market, it could use some additional filtering abilities - perhaps all parts for a given unit weight, tech base, etc.  Maybe even pick one of your units from a dropdown, and show all parts that fit that.

Related: the Overview "Parts in Use" is good, but it would be helpful if it also showed prices for items.

Any thoughts on the relative complexity of adding those changes?  Worst case, I could maybe take a stab at adding them myself.
As the overview tab is only part of a ralgith custom release and there are more important features that need to go in you may need to make those changes you want to see for parts in use yourself. As for the engines... I have no idea. As far back as I can remember the engines have been one size fits all. No clue it that changed in the rules or it is just something specific to HQ/MM
The reasons engines are broken down by weight is due to cost.  An engine that goes in to a 60 ton mech and the exact same engine that goes in to a 75 ton mech cost different based solely on the weight of the mech.  I have no idea why the btech universe works this way, but the ptb have said that they do, so each engine type also needs a mech weight type for cost purposes.
(09-09-2014, 01:18 PM)Arkaris link Wrote: The reasons engines are broken down by weight is due to cost.  An engine that goes in to a 60 ton mech and the exact same engine that goes in to a 75 ton mech cost different based solely on the weight of the mech.  I have no idea why the btech universe works this way, but the ptb have said that they do, so each engine type also needs a mech weight type for cost purposes.

Yep, that's it exactly, I posted about this just the other day in the btech forums, also the AtB section.

Unfortunately, the rules in the TechManual have made it so the 300 SFE used by an Ostroc is different than the 300 SFE used by a Marauder (and as far as I can recall this isn't actually a new rule). It's a very silly rule in my opinion but we aren't out to reinvent the wheel (even if TPTB made it a square wheel).
(09-09-2014, 01:44 PM)Jayof9s link Wrote: [quote author=Arkaris link=topic=1783.msg11455#msg11455 date=1410283092]
The reasons engines are broken down by weight is due to cost.  An engine that goes in to a 60 ton mech and the exact same engine that goes in to a 75 ton mech cost different based solely on the weight of the mech.  I have no idea why the btech universe works this way, but the ptb have said that they do, so each engine type also needs a mech weight type for cost purposes.

Yep, that's it exactly, I posted about this just the other day in the btech forums, also the AtB section.

Unfortunately, the rules in the TechManual have made it so the 300 SFE used by an Ostroc is different than the 300 SFE used by a Marauder (and as far as I can recall this isn't actually a new rule). It's a very silly rule in my opinion but we aren't out to reinvent the wheel (even if TPTB made it a square wheel).
[/quote]

I've been meaning for some time to add an option that will short circuit this stupidity and base everything completely on engine rating.
(09-09-2014, 01:55 PM)ralgith link Wrote: I've been meaning for some time to add an option that will short circuit this stupidity and base everything completely on engine rating.

The only issue is trying to take into consideration costs in relation to units for that unofficial rule. If you set it too high, all engines are going to be overpriced and smaller units are going to take a bigger hit (especially things like hovercraft and VTOLs that are capped at relatively light weights). If you set it too low, the more expensive units are going to start seeing a big discount (especially with XL and other special engine types).

I'd suggest trying it around 75 ton standard and seeing what that does to costs in general.
(09-09-2014, 02:25 PM)Jayof9s link Wrote: [quote author=ralgith link=topic=1783.msg11457#msg11457 date=1410285314]
I've been meaning for some time to add an option that will short circuit this stupidity and base everything completely on engine rating.

The only issue is trying to take into consideration costs in relation to units for that unofficial rule. If you set it too high, all engines are going to be overpriced and smaller units are going to take a bigger hit (especially things like hovercraft and VTOLs that are capped at relatively light weights). If you set it too low, the more expensive units are going to start seeing a big discount (especially with XL and other special engine types).

I'd suggest trying it around 75 ton standard and seeing what that does to costs in general.
[/quote]

Actually I was going to do costs as an average of all costs from 5t up to 100t Wink
(09-09-2014, 01:55 PM)ralgith link Wrote: [quote author=Jayof9s link=topic=1783.msg11456#msg11456 date=1410284669]
[quote author=Arkaris link=topic=1783.msg11455#msg11455 date=1410283092]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I for one would greatly appreciate this simplification of engines.  You should probably do something similar for other spare parts such as limbs,actuators, etc.  Having to keep track of individual parts with the original rules is a huge pain in the ass. Smile

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  MekHQ - AtB - Unit Market 984 1 1,855 11-23-2018, 10:36 PM
Last Post: NickAragua
  Parts availability silmeril 4 1,643 11-21-2018, 04:30 PM
Last Post: silmeril
  45.0 Personnel Market illrede 2 1,612 08-06-2018, 07:46 PM
Last Post: illrede
  Unavailable parts kipstafoo 3 1,628 09-28-2016, 04:23 PM
Last Post: Captain Kaos
  AtB Unit Market SirMegaV 4 2,228 03-23-2015, 05:49 AM
Last Post: SirMegaV
  Parts in Use neilfw 23 7,623 01-16-2015, 10:19 AM
Last Post: Jayof9s
  Availability of parts Groggy1 1 1,156 12-12-2014, 11:21 AM
Last Post: Jayof9s
  Parts in transit no delivery sneo 0 799 12-10-2014, 12:53 PM
Last Post: sneo
  Just Some Ideas for Purchasing Units/Parts SirMegaV 5 2,297 12-09-2014, 11:56 AM
Last Post: ralgith
  Repairs can't be done until "all other parts scrapped/salvaged" . . . TriplerSDMB 8 4,216 06-09-2014, 11:55 PM
Last Post: superdude 431