This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for Volunteers to help with a MegaMek Project
Hi,

I'm looking for some volunteers to help with a big MegaMek Project.  We've added the ability to have the OVERVIEW, CAPABILITY, and DEPLOYMENT tags like the TRO's have.  I would like to get that information added to unit files.

BUT......we have some strict rules we have to follow to do this.

1) NO Plagiarism of any kind.
2) Everything has to be re-edited.

If you are interested in helping here's what I need:

1) Access to as many of the CGL books as possible to reference.
2) Ability to technically write and re-edit material.
3) Comfort with modifying text files saved in a shared dropbox.
4) Ability to add information to a Google Sheet.
5) Ability to work with a team.

Dec 16/2014 - Updated.  I've decided to just add the how-to here:

So I think the best way to do this is anyone who is volunteering should grab a TRO/or book and that becomes theirs to play with. Please post here what you are working on to avoid duplication.

To help out I’ve made a Dropbox folder with unit files in them.  Please edit into those files and put the same information into the Google Sheet.  The links are at the bottom here.

Dec 17/2014 - Update.  I'm dumb sometimes...and some good news:
I gave out the wrong tag it should be [i]capabilities[/i] NOT capability.  On to the good news, talked to the editors at Sarna and they have given us permission to use their materials as is. 

Editing Files

You’ll need a good text editor, for Windows I use notepad++ and I’ll let other people suggest good editors for different OS’s. 

MTF files (Mech Files):

The correct tag is:
OverviewBig GrinATA HERE

capabilitiesBig GrinATA HERE

Deployment: DATA HERE

Add the data after the colon.

BLK file (the other units)
You need to add tags like this after the last entry in the file.
<overview>
DATA HERE
</overview>

<capabilities>
DATA HERE
</capabilities>

<deployment>
DATA HERE
</deployment>

LINKS
To the Dropbox Unit Files

To the Google Sheet
what creative commons license does sarna use? It may be easier to use what they have rewritten if their own license allows it.
Sarna uses GFDL, BUT I would rather our edits be are material than getting permission from Sarna, which may or may not be copied.

Basically I want the material to be done by our volunteers and yes I know that is a bigger process than cut and pasting Sarna.
not a straight cut n paste.. too many grammatical errors.
(12-01-2014, 10:28 PM)pheonixstorm link Wrote: not a straight cut n paste.. too many grammatical errors.

Are you volunteering or just discussing this.....
Kind of both actually, though at the moment I am not sure how much time I would have to actually do anything. My inner pack rat is screaming at me to find the rest of my BT minis. It is starting to drive me nuts that my 3rd box is MIA with half a Mad Cat, Loki, and all but the AC of a Marauder.

Not sure why I wasted time and space on that last comment... distracted I guess.
I'll do it! ;D

At least until I can find my way around the code... Wink (probably not gonna happen for a while.)
(12-01-2014, 08:28 PM)Hammer link Wrote: Hi,

I'm looking for some volunteers to help with a big MegaMek Project.  We've added the ability to have the OVERVIEW, CAPABILITY, and DEPLOYMENT tags like the TRO's have.  I would like to get that information added to unit files.

BUT......we have some strict rules we have to follow to do this.

1) NO Plagiarism of any kind.
2) Everything has to be re-edited.

If you are interested in helping here's what I need:

1) Access to as many of the CGL books as possible to reference.
2) Ability to technically write and re-edit material.
3) Comfort with modifying text files saved in a shared dropbox.
4) Ability to add information to a Google Sheet.
5) Ability to work with a team.

If you are interested in helping out please PM or leave a message here.  I'll PM you the links and some specific things we need to do.

Thanks

Count me in.
I don't know how many I'll get before I burn out but I'll see about getting started on some TRO:3039 stuff.
I'm not sure if the text I wrote up is pasting correctly to the google sheet(for some reason no matter what I try google's sheets/documents don't want to always work for me even when doing simple stuff) so if someone would double check the Mercury 98 for me and let me know if it is behaving properly I'd appreciate it.

Attached MTF for reference.

Attached Files
.mtf   Mercury MCY-98.mtf (Size: 3.7 KB / Downloads: 4)
Well I went back and checked again myself and it looks like as I suspected the pasted information is being split onto multiple rows.

Ugh.  Well I'll just keep editing unit files then and put a zip of them on my mediafire account for now.

For clarification on my part I'll be specifically starting with the TRO 3025® stuff because I actually have that for a reference.

Which seems to have no Deployment section, at least not a consistent one in that some entries have it and some don't.  I'll do my best to keep things sensible.
Just to let you guys know where I'm at before I sleep since Google Docs and I seem unable to get along I've managed the Commando, Thorn, Mongoose, and the aforementioned Mercury.  Should be able to tackle a few more tomorrow.

I'm also going to do my best to write my stuff so that it isn't too biased in applying to a particular variant for sake of just being able to copy/paste into other variants of TRO 3025® mechs from other sources.  If I don't burn out too quickly I may see about going back and making a second pass to add more variant specific details to each file.  If it were not for how quickly I tend to burn out doing projects like these I wouldn't have bothered mentioning it but felt I best communicate my approach so that everyone else isn't given an extra hurdle if I do leave a chunk unfinished.

As such  I'll do my best to keep leaving progress posts as I go even if I do get Google Docs to accept my input for progress tracking just for the sake of extra redundancy.
Any recommendation for length? I assume we are using 3rd person narrative.

(12-16-2014, 08:43 PM)monbvol link Wrote: I'm not sure if the text I wrote up is pasting correctly to the google sheet(for some reason no matter what I try google's sheets/documents don't want to always work for me even when doing simple stuff) so if someone would double check the Mercury 98 for me and let me know if it is behaving properly I'd appreciate it.

Attached MTF for reference.

I'm just finishing up work today and start my holidays.  I'll have a good look at this test one this evening.

(12-17-2014, 01:11 PM)scJazz link Wrote: Any recommendation for length? I assume we are using 3rd person narrative.

Length is going to depend on the unit, go with what feels right.  Narrative would be best in the 3rd person.

NOTE:
I've updated the first post with some additional details.
uuuuuu Sarna said OK huh? Operation Copy/Paste?!? LOL just kidding... personally I'll look at it and the stuff from the TRO and write something useful.
I'll try and finish off the TRO 3025® light mechs before seeing about doing a bulk upload of the MTF files.  Should be able to get the writing done for a couple more later today.
(12-17-2014, 04:00 PM)monbvol link Wrote: I'll try and finish off the TRO 3025® light mechs before seeing about doing a bulk upload of the MTF files.  Should be able to get the writing done for a couple more later today.

I want to cheat off you before I start. Just to keep the style similar. I have like 20 things to do still today but I want to start writing before the day is done.
Oh sure.  I have no problem sharing.

I've zipped up everything I've done so far on my mediafire account here.  Feel free to comment about anything you'd like changed as these are just my first passes.
Ding check your PMs
Claiming 35121 Technical Readout 3039

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Inner Sphere in Flames - Project Idea Zellbringen 5 3,445 05-27-2013, 05:38 PM
Last Post: mchapman1970
  Thinking of using this game for my project Spiderift 14 6,297 11-03-2011, 04:47 PM
Last Post: Spiderift